New Contest Suggestions

Maynard Friedman

6 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I quite like the idea of everyone who’s interested in some kind of contest just grabbing an unworn pair of jeans from their stash/pile/wardrobe/denim chest/etc and agreeing to wear them for a year. 
Most of us have a pair ready to go and this would encourage wearing what we already have rather than indulging in further unnecessary consumerism and the accompanying carbon footprint. The ‘green jean’ contest if you like. There could be no prize or each contestant could chip in a sum, eg £10/$10/€10. All contestants get a secret vote and winner takes the pot. C’mon everyone, Greta T would be proud!

I like that idea - not so much for the Greta aspect but it seems easy & quick to organize.

10 hours ago, Josh'N'Roll said:

I read this as a sly sarcasm and laughed out loud.

Thanks. I thought it was obvious, but apparently it was too soon for this kind of jokes (for once that something is too soon about this guy).

If 40s cut, and pending on details, I am in. WH, Ooe, FW would be amazing. Dawson as well.

13 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

For what it's worth, seems like this coming Spring / Summer, while a bit away, is still probably sooner than any of the Japanese brands we've been discussing would be able to have anything up and running for us. @rodeo bill—current time constraints aside, is a special run for a "contest" something to which you might be amenable in the future?

With the definite caveat of timing I'd certainly be up for doing a special detail on existing cuts. I'd need to make about 12 pairs+ and if there were special details I'd need payment upfront with no refunds. Sorry to get down to brass tacks, just putting it out there to help people make decisions.

I do like Maynard's green denim chest idea too though!

As I’m all for using pre-existing deadstock pairs; I do see an issue regarding interest with a multitude of fits and brands. Similar to the DWC, it seems a lack of continuity will prevail unless we all get excited about something new/special, and come to a consensus on what that might be. Could be wrong though. 

Edited by SuperJackle

Seems like there's three routes taking shape: Maynards anti-consumerism contest, a one jean contest and a jeans + jacket/shirt one. I like the sentiments Maynard mentioned but I also agree with NYCSurfer, it's very intriguing seeing how different lives effect the wear on a same pair of jeans.

If there's enough interest we can always have more than one contest taking place. After all, it will be hard to find a solution that fits everyone's taste.

Maybe we should make a poll and see what everyone is interested in?

@rodeo bill Great to hear you're up for the idea! I don't think there's anything weird paying up front and using an existing cut. We've done that plenty of times.

I was thinking on similar lines though we could just make it one jeans contest where you pick your own route i.e. either a pair you have already (I like Maynards green angle) Or a single contest specific jean such as Tender, WH etc as I completely get the point about seeing how the same jeans evolve through different wearers.

That way we all start at the same time and post updates in the same thread.

As Bobbo says we'd need a poll to see if this is viable.

19 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Here here to the shirt idea (with tuckable length)

@Iron Horse maybe something to think about... 40s detailing being the emerging theme.

I could do make a shirt such as the Atlas but in 5 oz Japanese selvedge chambray, but the minimum order from sewing is generally 100, so it wouldn’t be exclusive to sufu. Not sure how you’d feel about that. 

Alternately I am opening pre-orders on the Heracles 2 in that chambray fabric (3 colors: blue, red, and white) in the near future, perhaps the blue version could be the contest shirt? 

@MJF9 is on the right track! Didn't think of that we perhaps could get a special pair made like Mega did with Iron Heart for DWC. This should combine the interest from all parties, wouldn't it?

Would be real happy if the potential shirt is from @Iron Horse Supporting our own!

Edited by Bobbo

Another reason for my open contest suggestion was to take it away from getting a unique pair with bells and whistles etc (which some do and then don’t compete) and focussing on the contest element - simply participating and sharing updates. Additionally, a specific pair often doesn’t tick the right boxes for everyone - too slim/wide/heavy/slubby, etc - and therefore automatically excludes people.

How about leaving it open but narrowing down the scope somewhat, eg an Osaka 5 contest, just pick any pair from Denime, Evisu, Full Count, SDA, Warehouse and see how they compare?

26 minutes ago, ecsong187 said:

I’d be down for a Century Denim contest. That would be really cool. 

A reason to buy a sumi century denim for me :P

2 hours ago, oomslokop said:

@rodeo bill is it possible to make the same model of jeans but people can choose from all your different denims? eg, logwood dyed unborn vs. walnut molleton vs slub cross weave in 129 cut, now that's what i call a contest!

Boy....that would be an amazing contest. B)

I'm up for anything. Tender would be really really really sweet. Otherwise OOE, Warehouse, Resolute Freewheeler etc. Having the same pair/same denim fabric would be sweet to see the different evolution that's for sure. The green contest idea would also be nice but less interesting in my opinion. Count me in anyways