New Contest Suggestions

Maynard Friedman

Right everyone, stop spamming the TCB 20s contest thread with your miscellaneous suggestions for a new contest and dump them in here instead.

I’m not organising anything by the way and neither is anyone else until and unless they state otherwise, hopefully on here. In short, therefore, manage your expectations!

Thats the aggressive, official stuff over with so please feel free to fire away...

So far it seems like we could take this two directions: get a special pair made by whoever we decide (and is willing to make them for us), or wear existing jeans we already own.
Y'all are all well aware that I'm always down for a new pair, but I also see the merit in just throwing in a pair that I/we already own.

So far for the new jeans ideas we have the following as potential options. These are what have been thrown out, but I'm happy to edit this post with more suggestions.
Sounds like we're leaning towards a 40's WWII detailed jean thus far from one of the following.
Warehouse.
Ooe Yofukuten.
Roy.
Freewheelers.
Resolute.
Tender.
Denimbridge.
Sugar Cane.

We've also got to consider the viability of these makers wanting to make a special pair for us. So that's something to consider as well.
Regarding cut, I think we're mostly looking at something looser/straight legged so far.
Personally I'd love to do something where we could include a shirt as well as a pair of jeans, maybe a chambray or something that's easily wearable year round.

While I'm here, I can edit this post to include a headcount so we have an idea on quantity.
1.) Broark
2.) b_F
3.) Maynard
4.) JDelage
5.) redragon
6.) Bartles
7.) Radiohead89
8.) bod
9.) NYCSurfer
10.) MJF9
11.) Superjackle
12.) Bobbo
13.) UkeNo
14.) eeejayaich
15.) Volvo
16.) maharu
17.) dau
18.) Paul T
19.) andrewrose
20.) Daf123
21.) propellerbeanie
22.) Spiraltoy

Edited by Broark

I'm (carefully) interested. I have a pair of Warehouse I haven't worn and could use in the contest, not to mention a pair of SDA and another one of MFSC I have worn less than 5 times. I'm not enthusiastic about buying yet another pair, but you wouldn't need to twist my arm very hard if it is a loose / straight cut. I'm most interested in Tender and Ooe, but flexible.

Just to expand on the idea, there was also mention of a possible triple-pleat jacket contest and personally I would be interested in a denim shirt contest. A chambray contest would be fun, especially if we find a nice *indigo* chambray, which is not that easy to find. 

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

My gut feeling is that this is all very preliminary and as such, unlikely to begin until the current GBG one ends.

quite.

as stated before; my hope would be for a strict vintage 40s cut - my strongest interests would be in the fw 601xx '47 or the warehouse '46 (because of new denim)...

I know elsewhere bobbo has hinted at a wwII denimba possibility... 

(competition wise, having gone through 50s, 20s and now doing 60s cuts... surely a palette cleansing 40s is in order?)

I'm a potential depending but will be an interested observer anyway.  Preference is a pick your own jeans (have a Canes M-series and Lot 147 ready to go).  However my arm could be twisted for a decent rise, voluminous fit as per the options above - especially if replete with contest specific features.  Look forward to hearing how WH, Denimba and Roy conversations go.  

I think it might be worthwhile to mention that if we do a "pick your own jeans" kinda contest it might be harder to find a store/brand willing to put up with prizes. Making one order of the same model from a singular store, like the Ooe, TCB and Denimba contest makes it easier to get the stores on board since they already make some money from it. Not against it personally, but good to know if we go down that route.

Personally I want to do a 40's cut this time. Preferably WWII-version. Don't think that's ever been done? 

I'm game for most ideas that has been mentioned but it would be a lot of fun if Warehouse felt like doing something a little special. 

2 hours ago, Bobbo said:

I think it might be worthwhile to mention that if we do a "pick your own jeans" kinda contest it might be harder to find a store/brand willing to put up with prizes. Making one order of the same model from a singular store, like the Ooe, TCB and Denimba contest makes it easier to get the stores on board since they already make some money from it. Not against it personally, but good to know if we go down that route.

Personally I want to do a 40's cut this time. Preferably WWII-version. Don't think that's ever been done? 

I'm game for most ideas that has been mentioned but it would be a lot of fun if Warehouse felt like doing something a little special. 

Warehouse ww2 would be super sweet.

I'd like to hear from @rodeo bill whether he would have the bandwidth to do something with us, at least in terms of custom details (I for one do not care that much about a prize). The advantage of Tender is the ease of communication and the fact that there are existing slimmer & looser cuts... It doesn't preclude anything, but if Bill tells us he does not have the bandwidth, we shouldn't spend more time debating it. I'd love it if he could, personally...

I'm down for a 40s repro contest be it ww2, 46 or 47. Warehouse or freewheelers would be nice or maybe more obscure brand like fob factory will be interesting. And maybe throw 40s lee style repro into the mix.

'40s contest seems to be the most popular! That would also be my vote although I'm unsure whether I'd participate. I suffer from severe commitment issues when it comes to wearing one pair of jeans haha I think I've bowed out of every comp so far :P