Denime

On 7/8/2022 at 12:58 PM, JohnM said:

...they're consistent with (what I understand to be) his appreciation for 'smart', clean, European lines, and less workwear oriented than what I've experienced from Warehouse.

I find this stuff hilarious because to my ignoramus eyes, Denime really doesn't look much less "workwear" than Warehouse. They'll all very minor variations on the mid-century Levis. Does slightly modifying the cut make them look more "European"? They're still five pocket jeans with a bunch of copper rivets. This stuff always comes across as extreme hair-splitting to me.

That being said, I'm sure the new Warehouse-made Denime jeans will be very nice and would certainly consider them if I was a few inches shorter and didn't already have enough jeans to last through the next decade or so.

^ I agree Cold Summer -- we're talking minor variations and extreme hair-splitting.  I thought that was what we were supposed to do here!

More seriously, there are some jeans that are trimmer, more linear, or harder-finished that I might wear out to dinner and others that are heavier, nubbier, or wider that I'd do real work in.  At the end of the day, they're all five-pocket jeans, no doubt.  But to my extreme hair-splitting, OCD eyes, they're not all the same.

^ I also think @JohnM’s comment relates to the general direction and overall ethos of the two brands. Both started out making repro jeans (Osaka 5 members) and whist Warehouse maintains a strong repro and heritage workwear focus, Denime seems to have dropped its earlier lines of pre-war jeans, chore coats, etc and tended toward a more modern, casual range of attire. Of course Denime still makes 50s and 60s repros, which, as you say, won’t differ much from those of Warehouse, Sugar Cane, etc.

Yeah I guess so. I totally get that with a brand's overall offering. But thinking strictly from the perspective of jeans taken in isolation (i.e., worn by members on the forum as part of a casual outfit), it seems hard to see those nuances, especially when branding such as patch design, arcuates, etc. is pretty minimal to begin with.

Now that I I think about it, owning the Warehouse 1001xx and 800xx in the same size, I feel the 800xx has a slightly dressier quality. I could wear it in an "upscale date night" sort of outfit and it'd look more natural than my 1001xx. I can't explain exactly why this is, though it might be that the 800xx has a slightly more tailored fit in the top block. The shape of the leg is virtually identical on both pairs.

My slightly ‘dressier’ jeans (that I’d wear with a more refined pair of brogues, tailored jacket, etc) tend to be the slimmer and darker pairs.

I’m not sure what a ‘date night’ is though, I’ll ask Mrs F if she knows! :laugh2:

Edited by Maynard Friedman

^ exactly Maynard, same for me.

Regarding the 800 vs. the 1001 Cold Summer, I'd agree that the 800 is a little trimmer and more tailored up top.  But neither has an especially dark or hard-finished denim, so they're both pretty casual, as jeans go.

When you ‘dress up’ to go out to dinner or whatever you do it to differentiate from everyday wear, and to perhaps show respect for the event or destination.

I think you’re pretty much guaranteed that anyone who sees you ‘dressed up’ in your fine denim doesn’t read this forum and just sees a pair of bog standard jeans. 

The finesse argument doesn’t hold for me - maybe apart from not wearing a pair blown out at the crotch.

I just think a lot of what @Cold Summer has talked about in recently in a couple of threads is fatigue and boredom. 20 years ago the choices were limited, it was exciting and it felt different. Today the market this group looks at is saturated and many have been buying these jeans for years. It doesn’t feel so fresh to those with dozens of pairs of denims.

That doesn’t make it any less compelling for those that were only born 20 years ago or anyone who has become more recently interested.

True Duke, but in the same way that someone who sees you dressed in your FW WWII jeans in Sainsbury’s won’t distinguish them from any other brand. It’s about how those jeans make you feel.

If smarter dress is required and I don’t feel a suit is appropriate or necessary, I’ll wear what I consider my smarter jeans as I don’t really wear ‘smart casual’ trousers.    I think a slimmer, darker (or black) pair, perhaps with tonal stitching and no obvious arcs can be dressed up and suit a slightly more formal occasion better than a faded pair or a suit. Horses for courses I suppose.

It’s possibly one of the reasons why I own too many jeans, so I can incorporate a few subtly different pairs to suit different occasions rather than simply 20 pairs exactly the same - although anyone else probably wouldn’t think so!

• 2 weeks later...

Might be the pictures but looks like a bit of yellow tint on all the labels, patches and tab :D

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgbwXOWP-B8/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

First exhibition of Denime made by Warehouse.

Denim woven by Kurabo...have to check if that is the original mill. I know Nihon Menpu was used as well for some models (according to Paul T)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

These should be close to Orizzonti era according to Naoki (BEARS).

The denim is again very dark, especially for the XX denim.
I think the stitching really looks closer to Warehouse but I probably only say that because we know they are made by Warehouse.

They will start offering 4 items.
Type2 and Type3 jacket and for jeans a XX-type and a BigE type (no 66 model) [ @indigoeagle interesting that naoki brought this up..seems he/they also differ between 66 models and BigE models for 60s jeans]).

edit: also notice the shorter inseams. In the same area where Warehouse has their jeans

5 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

These should be close to Orizzonti era according to Naoki (BEARS).

The denim is again very dark, especially for the XX denim.
I think the stitching really looks closer to Warehouse but I probably only say that because we know they are made by Warehouse.

They will start offering 4 items.
Type2 and Type3 jacket and for jeans a XX-type and a BigE type (no 66 model) [ @indigoeagle interesting that naoki brought this up..seems he/they also differ between 66 models and BigE models for 60s jeans]).

edit: also notice the shorter inseams. In the same area where Warehouse has their jeans

Will you be getting a pair? If so, very curious to see how these fade over time, I'm working through some other pairs now but Warehouse + Denime is a very interesting combo

On 7/26/2022 at 1:26 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

More pictures

zOx830B.jpg

d2pQWz3.jpg

Zx3KL3N.jpg

BYG38Oh.jpg

3AljhIs.jpg

q3NFtXx.jpg

ligpoFf.jpg

Eu8fkno.jpg

KUAdTOm.jpg

WebNu5v.jpg

jFWPygk.jpg

Thank you for sharing. BF Please keep updated about this info. The denim on first photo, left one, looks more "textured" than the right one. Not sure if its 1 washed version or something else. But if the cut suit me, probably will get one.

Yep Ale, that should be it. According to the belt loops and the denim crinkles.

Edit: what I find interesting, the goal from Warehouse is to go back to the Orizzonti era and its quality. But that was exactly the same spirit of the Original Line where they also went back to the old sewing factory and denim mill. Will be interesting to see if people trust Warehouse more to achieve this than they did with Wego

On 7/26/2022 at 1:39 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

The BigE I ddon't know...maybe similar to the 66 still.

Warehouse does have the 1100 and 1101 which are both ‘66 models. The 1101 is the 60s version with the V stitch and the 1100 is the 70s version without. I think this is the 1101 for Denime. I love my 1101s but Warehouse hasn’t made a standard pair (only used washed and Duck Digger) in 4 or 5 years

13 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Edit: what I find interesting, the goal from Warehouse is to go back to the Orizzonti era and its quality. But that was exactly the same spirit of the Original Line where they also went back to the old sewing factory and denim mill. Will be interesting to see if people trust Warehouse more to achieve this than they did with Wego

Personally I can’t think of a better name than warehouse apart from mr. Hayashi himself

On 7/27/2022 at 10:14 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Yep Ale, that should be it. According to the belt loops and the denim crinkles.

It's interesting that now we have one of the Osaka 5 buying another of the Osaka 5, both of which were formed to make repro vintage Levi's, and now one of them is making repros of the other's (now vintage) repros of vintage Levi's. Kind of like an inception...

Edited by dawei94

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

^ Good point. Just wait until Levi’s buys Warehouse. Does not compute… :blink2:

or the other way around

repros of repros? As long as they'll deliver some kind of early evis, denime or warehouse vibe, sounds good to me.

^ It was about time that happened  :D

66 pair from the Original Line 

20220729_074750.thumb.jpg.59812698d2ac02445bfc88ae1b585687.jpg

I think I will rather go for the new BigE than the XX. Will be a new cut at least. I also noticed they seem to offer different inseam lengths. 30 and 32. At least it looks like it judging from the pictures.