Denime

3 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

The blue tab suggests it being an international model. Denime was distributed (mainly?) in the UK in the 90s. Since Denime produced many models without giving proper names it’s hard to clearly identify them.
From the details it’s some sort of 1933 model. Belt loops and suspender buttons. Not sure what kind of denim is used but I’m pretty sure it’s not their XX denim. Selvedge line looks kinda black? Maybe it’s Denime’s take on the Levis 201?!

History of Denime is not very clear and there is not much to find on the internet (at least not in English).

Edit: Ed beat me to it.

I seem to recall my friend explaining that they did two selvedge lines, gold and red. Red being the more expensive, on my pair it's gold. My fashion conscious friend told me that the watch pocket and fly rivet were also details coveted by jeans enthusiasts, as well as being Japanese selvedge of course. Back then I was pretty nonchalant about it all, but after nearly 20 years and having gone through many a pair of cheap jeans, these are still in such great condition it does make you appreciate the effort that Denime put into their product. It's also great to have found this thread and to see the love that people have for Denime!

Edited by Illogical

• 1 month later...

I'm finally selling my size 34 Denime XX (Shins Era) after owning them for nearly a decade. I haven't worn them in many, many years, so it's time. I figured y'all might be interested in the pictures whether you're interested in taking them off my hands or not! (DM me if you want them and I can take the auction down). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173303813038?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by jstavrin

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got round to throwing my denime pair in the washing machine as advised by @bod. Thanks for that, it shrank in waist and hem just as you said, so I don't need that hem and it fits great!

Only problem is the holes for the button fly. Top hole is fine, but the others are definitely too small. Trying to stretch the holes out starting with a pen

• 2 weeks later...

Im in Tokyo now and was thinking of getting a pair of denimes. The only 3 available models in americaya are the 66, 66xx and xx.

Would any of you know other stores which carry denime too? Maybe somewhere which has a better deal and selection.

Also, is the xx fabric worth the price jump over the regular 66? The 66 is at 15000jpy and the xx is 24000jpy

11 hours ago, Spiraltoy said:

@mousemouse There’s a Denime store in Daikanyama. I don’t have the adress though!

Thanks spiraltoy! I already left tokyo and decided against buying a pair of denimes. Im still on the fence if the current denimes are a good deal. I fit the xx and standard 66 model and it didnt feel too nice or different

The difference in the XX denim and the standard denim is the weight and fading speed. The XX denim takes longer to fade and thus offers more color variaton.
In terms of construction quality the new Denime jeans aren't worse than the old ones. I even found the stitching to be more durable, at least for the time RealMcCoys was responsible for the brand. Under the current owner WEGO, I just haven't got enough experience.

I actually liked the standard 66 denim vs. the xx. I have a pair of devis/denimproject 66s which i have grown too fat for and the regular denime 66 fabric has a similar light blue shade. Lately, most jeans i've been wearing have been dark blue so the lighter shade is kind of appealing to me.

Edit, double post.

For the sizing, these seem to be on the small side right? I was only able to fit raw 66s and one wash 66xx. The size 34 raw 66 felt like it would fit well after washing since it had a bit of space in the waist. The 66xx however, i couldnt event close the top two buttons without a fight. Any experience on the shrinkage of the standard 66 denin?

Edited by mousemouse
Double post

• 1 month later...

Damn. Totally missed this. Unfortunately, I don't have experiene with the current standard 66 denim but from what I saw on pairs from other guys, the denim shrinks quite a bit.
Also remember the cutting of the 66 and 66XX is different. The 66XX has a lower rise and thus might sit lower on a wider part of your body. In general the current (and old) 66XX shrank roughly from tag size and I think the current 66 model shrinks ratehr to tag size or just a little below.

On another story, I think I might have to make some comparison pictures of my older 66XX (Shins) and my new 66XX which I've got around January.

Earlier this year, I asked Denime about their plans for a 30th anniversary jeans. They said they have something in the pipeline.
I was eagerly waiting for it and today they opened their new website:

https://denime30th.com/

There you have a nice overview about the history of Denime which might help to bring light into the darkness
https://denime30th.com/history/

Furthermore, there is a site for the special 30th anniversary products and if I read it correctly, they might bring back the old XX denim and other old stuff.
https://denime30th.com/special/

Looking forward to what they will release :)

Perfect excuse for me to get a pair of Denime jeans.
I always scour Yahoo Auctions for Shins or Orizzonti era jeans but talk myself out of it due to price or their condition.
Looking forward to what they have in store for the 30th anniversary jeans.

On 8/1/2018 at 3:20 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Damn. Totally missed this. Unfortunately, I don't have experiene with the current standard 66 denim but from what I saw on pairs from other guys, the denim shrinks quite a bit.
Also remember the cutting of the 66 and 66XX is different. The 66XX has a lower rise and thus might sit lower on a wider part of your body. In general the current (and old) 66XX shrank roughly from tag size and I think the current 66 model shrinks ratehr to tag size or just a little below.

On another story, I think I might have to make some comparison pictures of my older 66XX (Shins) and my new 66XX which I've got around January.

Thanks b_F! I was wondering why the raw 66 was loose (for a raw pair) while I couldn't close three buttons the one wash 66xx in the same size. 

I think I will hold off and just purchase a pair of denimes later this year. I will wait for the 30th anniversary model and see if it is interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving the use of the word "recipe"...

"There is a factory that weaved original Denim fabric at the time of establishing Denime in Okayama Prefecture. The factory slept a special recipe that woven Denime's original denim fabric of those days.

"Denime 30th Special Project" begins with restoring the original denim fabric based on this original recipe which can be said as the project's life.
However, it is not an easy task to proceed with the current environment based on the recipe at the time such as not obtaining the exact same raw material as at that time.
We replace each recipe at the time with the current environment, repeat trial and error, we are also weaving fabrics that you can convince customers who know Denime of the past year.

A weaving loom that weaves fabrics customizes and uses an old-style power loom that can only weave in one day, according to Denime.
This power loom creates a special Serubitchi denim fabric with a unique zara feeling which is also a feature of Denime and fluff for producing color fading with a three-dimensional feeling.
Sureki (pocket cloth) to be used in common under the pants uses the original thick-eyed warped Sureki woven with a power loom.

※ Serubitchijenimu is a denim fabric woven using an old type power loom, there are features called "ears" at both ends of the fabric.

Denim fabric to be used in "Denime Original Line" we are doing things politely one by one carefully in cooperation of the factory who weaved fabric from the beginning of brand establishment.
This fabric that inherited the Denime ism, you can enjoy "time" from discoloration of a single denim to faded color."

6 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

^^ Those Tokyos really suit you b_F, do you have the Kyotos too?

Thanks! Unfortunately not. I would love to add the Kyoto to my collection. The Kyoto have a lighter shade of indigo (similar to Resolute) and a slightly different fit.

@oomslokop as far as I know, the Tokyo is between the XX and 66XX fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ale! Denime brought out multiple XX types during the last years and honestly I don't know if they just changed the article code or if they also changed the jeans themselves (besides bringing back the red tab). From measurements in Denime's homepage I would expect shrinking from tag size.

If I were you though, I would wait until October and see what they will offer for their 30th anniversary line :)

• 2 weeks later...