WTF didn't I just buy it? What's wrong with me?

oomslokop

tried to find a denim (didn't end up buying) regrets thread but couldn't find it (i thought there was one already?). if there is, mod can merge.

let's start with this one from @BrownMetallic in the 45rpm thread:

"Bought a pair of Sorahiko 2010 at their NYC upper westside store when it came out. They were an updated, slimmer version, w/c fit me real nicely.  But, for some insane reason I returned them ... 1 of 3 denim decisions that regret to this day:("

fire away!

Not buying the Roy Big Bro natural indigo workshirt and the Portland shirt.
And not buying a pair of the Special Fit jeans.
Not buying a pair of Ande Whall's jeans.
Not buying a pair of Devis denim project jeans I found on Yahoo Auctions.

Edited by Broark

Not buying more old Denime jeans when they were easily accessible
Not buying a bigger pair of DenimJunkie DJ-501

I also often thought about a pair of Devi’s but never pulled the trigger…I don’t really regret it though.

Did I sell something I regret now? I don’t think :)

I bought my first raw denim in 2012 the second time I visited New York City. After going to Self Edge and Blue in Green I ended up buying some Raleigh Denim jeans because I was moving to North Carolina (30 minutes from Raleigh) the next year and I also bought pretty heavily into the “made in the US”  trend that was peaking around then. Good jeans, but I took the size down advice and that never really worked for me. My biggest miss on that trip was not buying the now discontinued Warehouse 660 at Blue in Green. Aside from the fact that they don’t make that collab anymore it also one of the only Japanese pairs you can buy in my true size of 35. 

6 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Not buying more old Denime jeans when they were easily accessible
Not buying a bigger pair of DenimJunkie DJ-501

I also often thought about a pair of Devi’s but never pulled the trigger…I don’t really regret it though.

Did I sell something I regret now? I don’t think :)

7 hours ago, oomslokop said:

tried to find a denim (didn't end up buying) regrets thread but couldn't find it (i thought there was one already?). if there is, mod can merge.

let's start with this one from @BrownMetallic in the 45rpm thread:

"Bought a pair of Sorahiko 2010 at their NYC upper westside store when it came out. They were an updated, slimmer version, w/c fit me real nicely.  But, for some insane reason I returned them ... 1 of 3 denim decisions that regret to this day:("

fire away!

Dammit:o!!!

@beautiful_FrEaK  just reminded me of a 4th ... Bought a pair of practically unworn DJ-501XX all the way from AUS, just to unload them at eBay later on.

So, ultimately, my [denim] regret is having too many denim purges:)

- workers' big mac repro that i inquired about back when takeshi-san still sends me his pre-order emails. dilly-dallied too long thinking i already had too much blue (!) in my wardrobe.

- mf chemise calico i tried on at the norse store in copenhagen and fit perfect. but for some reason i thought it was too loud for my taste back then. also the crazy inflated price didn't help.

- duck digger whisky cat i tried on at take 5 shanghai. wasn't used to diaper's butt fit back then so i passed. zzz.

- first version rising sun blacksmith (had little but crucial differences in details to the later version blacksmith i eventually bought a few years later – tighter stitching in some places, eg waistband, flatter but wider belt loops, no slanted belt loops, no chainstitch hem – i tried on at the old unionville in stockholm. i thought it was a bit too workers/miners cosplay? now one of my fave jeans ever.

- tender hands on watch i tried on at peggs & son in brighton. i don't really wear watches so why should i start. but it was very pretty and small, perfect size for my wrist. of course the maker retired soon after that and the regret still gnaws.

- ande whall caribou, the special roll with the blue arcs. didn't like the pocket bag fabric and kept waiting for the perfect special roll. d'oh.

^I can connect with that.
When I started I bought a bunch of Nudie Jeans and later on I focused a lot on Samurai Jeans...
It's nice to find that "one brand" for oneself that ticks all the boxes...but those two didn't fit that bill for me. But probably also because taste changes especially when you are in the "get to know"-phase of raw denim :D

Biggest regret is not getting a custom pair from Ooe. Funny enough That's how I found the Japanese denim scene and Sufu but I never got around to ordering a pair.

Also regret not supporting Ande. Always liked what he did but kept waiting for something that ticked all the boxes.

Warehouse x sufu 660 contest jeans. Still one of my favorite patch designs.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:31 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

^I can connect with that.
When I started I bought a bunch of Nudie Jeans and later on I focused a lot on Samurai Jeans...
It's nice to find that "one brand" for oneself that ticks all the boxes...but those two didn't fit that bill for me. But probably also because taste changes especially when you are in the "get to know"-phase of raw denim :D

Derailing thread - BF are you not down w/ Samurai any longer? I agree it is nice to have  that one brand, but I don't think it's really possible. And why? I get some people may want to have that one brand like TFH or IH or SDA or TRM etc. that make just about everything for your entire wardrobe. There's not really anything in their catalogs I wouldn't welcome. I still like Samurai's jeans as I like their different denims and they have several cuts that are really really good. Nogami-san has a knack for making the 5 pocket denim jean unique without being hokey. 

@mpukas I still like Samurai and follow the brand closely but none of the latest offerings convinced me...or to rephrase it: it doesn't match my actual taste. The older me would have bought certainly some more stuff (e.g. the Russian collab is still good looking) but my today's me is different.

In fact I sold a lot of my Samurai jeans as I have no interest in heavyweight denim at all anymore. It's fun and novelty when you start experiencing raw denim but after the years I found normal weight denim much more interesting and I see no use in heavy stuff. It's just less versatile to me.

• 3 months later...