Sole Searching (and heels too)

Brenjay

Wondering if we can start a conversation about vintage/new old stock soles and heels.  I see these being used on new builds, which I love, looking for more info on this.

Are there any downsides to using these old products?  Do they degrade over time?

Does anyone have a collection of these, or a stash of interesting stuff?

I have been visiting local shops to see what I can find.  Lots of heels available, mainly dress shoe sizes, but not seeing much in the way of interesting half soles.   

Here are a couple of things I have.  Not familiar with the heels, I have seen these Biltrite half soles before and I think they look good.

What does everyone else have?  Are you able to find stuff where you are?  Info please!

Thanks

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

(in before the forum police says some shit about small questions thread)

I must admit I have what is a borderline sole and heel fetish.  Everyone posts pics of their worn in boots but never the soles!

Anyways, I think the attraction to the vintage, NOS soles and heels is for period correctness.  Most wear like shit compared to what is currently available from Vibram or Dainite etc...

I cannot comment on the corded soles but I do like how they look.  

Edited by garden gnomes in space

^seconded! I've had a couple of pairs of nos cat's paw sole/heel sets which looked lovely and were comfy to walk on, but wore through way quicker than modern soles.

One tip- if you can't find a big enough heel, ask the person doing the job to shape the midsole/sole down in a scoop to the heel, like a Cuban heel. As long as the heels not high it won't look overly dramatic, just a nice touch. I got this on a pair of chukkas with too small cats paw heels and I loved them (pics somewhere on shoes that look better with age, a few years ago though....). Those were done at a little corner shoe repair pace in Philly, which was fun in itself :-)

2 hours ago, garden gnomes in space said:

I cannot comment on the corded soles but I do like how they look.  

I love Dr Sole raw cord soles so much that I wish to have them on all my boots. Great grip, very comfortable, they're not feather like weight but that doesn't bother me. They win over Vibram 700 6-0 to me, both in functionality and looks.

One day I'll frankenboot my old pair of Tricker's with some Dr Sole's too..

1 hour ago, volvo240thebest said:

I love Dr Sole raw cord soles so much that I wish to have them on all my boots. Great grip, very comfortable, they're not feather like weight but that doesn't bother me. They win over Vibram 700 6-0 to me, both in functionality and looks.

One day I'll frankenboot my old pair of Tricker's with some Dr Sole's too..

i suspect i woud like them as well.  maybe Ill figure out a way to get a pair with them to see...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello. I picked up on this thread whilst on a random google image search and thought I'd stick my nose in.

I got into the vintage heel and sole thing 3/4 years back when I was looking re-sole a pair fo Corcorans I'd worn down to the leather. Again, browsing online took me to various picture websites like tumblr, instagram etc and then onto others like Vintageengineerboots and RoleClub.

I've managed to go through two sets of Cats Paw soles/heels in as many years but to be fair I didn't alternate much. Since buying a second pair and having them fixed up with RoleClubs they're lasting a bit longer and keeping their cool.

I'm also mildly obsessed with picking up bits and pieces that I want for the future. For instance I found some green grip-lug Biltrite half soles which I snapped up straight away. Missed out on some green Cats Paw heels which Im still getting over!

I'll get some pictures up when I get a chance.

Best

Andy 

Edited by Andy.C.M.C.