denim whats your way to getting the best fit possible.

SF2Turbo

HI all denim heads. just wondering whats your routine to finding the best fit when you try a denim.

I have in the last year given up on going with my size since im realising every brand has different sizing. and within the same brand each model has a different sizing. have wasted alot of cash.

these days i try the size i think i am with two more going size up and one size down. so i im generally levis 31. so i f im trying say for example edwins ill try size 30,31,32 waist and knowing edwins run big i would even consider trying 29 if the 30's are to easy to button up.

what do you guys do? anyone as mad as me trying 4 waist size since the shops think im mad when i tell them can i try 4 different size edwin ed55 please lol 

I try 36 and 38 in store and usually fit into one of them. Some brands vanity size so I have to ask for a 34 at times. Maybe you could go in with two sizes to begin with and if neither work, ask for the third option?

Can this topic be moved to the Small Questions Thread, please. 

Please read the Denim Encyclopedia thread (before creating new threads) as it will save uncessarry or duplicate threads from being created. It's pinned to the front page under the Small Questions and the This or That thread.

Thanks

8 hours ago, UkeNo said:

Please read the Denim Encyclopedia thread (before creating new threads) as it will save uncessarry or duplicate threads from being created. It's pinned to the front page under the Small Questions and the This or That thread.

Thanks

not a question rather what approach different people take.

Go to Kohl's, bring a tape measure, try on every pair of Levi's that you think you may like. Measure the pair(s) that fit you best. Take note of the rise, and how the hem fits over your shoes. Stick to those measurements when buying raw denim, err on the side of slightly smaller for sanforized to account for them stretching out some (maybe .5" smaller waist.) Buy slightly larger in unsanforized denim to account for shrinkage.

edit: ignore the Levi's tag size, go by only the measurements you take. Visit any denim shop's website for a guide on how to properly measure. 

Edited by enojy

4 hours ago, heavydoom said:

for me i just buy any jeans from any brand two sized over.  if too big shrink it by washing in hot hot water and tumble dry.  if still too big, yes, the belt and start cinching. 

This is straight-up bad advice. 

Edited by UkeNo

On 3/21/2018 at 6:57 AM, UkeNo said:

Thanks

Initially I’m inclined to agree but honestly, considering superfuture is just about dead should we really discourage people from making new topics?

i never check the small questions or this or that but if a new thread comes up I think it can foster some much needed conversation around here. 

On 3/21/2018 at 3:25 PM, cheapmuthafukr said:

A belt. Makes em fit every time.

I do like belts used to be my way to make any jeans too big fit, ofcourse thats before my denim geek level went from level 5 to level 10. i do not even want to see the tiniest bit of bunch up near the crotch area near the waist band. only happens when the denim isn't perfect. Problem is sometimes making it perfect backfires and the denim ends up a little small especially when you expect a bit of stretch and you have spent good money on momotaro lol you live and you learn.

Edited by SF2Turbo

• 2 weeks later...

>>we are...<<

>>decent close fit without the need to use a belt<<

who is we?

why is this best fit?

is such a fit not as historically located as these ones? [again, credit to the magisterial buler from denimbro for these archival pix]

which history is the present borrowing from / talking to?

001a.png

002a.png

Inspired by, but not directly in response to the above post, rather a general rant...

Since the majority of people around here wear jeans and associated clothing as casual fashion rather than to engage historical mining reenactments, yeah, they understandably want a fairly slim fit. Fetishizing old photographs of 1920s railroad and construction workers and then trying to cosplay as them with $2500 outfits, like Denimbro does, is extremely weird, and more than a bit ironic. You really think an actual blue-collar Depression-era worker wouldn't laugh his ass off at 21st-century IT guys spending a small fortune to emulate their dirty work clothes? It's silly. If this is your thing then go ahead and do it, but don't act like it somehow makes you more "authentic" or superior to the dude who measures a few pairs of pants before dropping $250 on a new pair to get a good fit.

And yes, I know I'm a weirdo for paying attention to how my pants fade and taking eight seconds a day to mark down which I pair I wore in an Excel spreadsheet, but I'm not pretending that my hobby has anything more than the barest possible connection to the past. For me, denim is a nerd hobby, like how gamers treat their elaborate PC rigs, or obsessing over your baseball card collection, but I definitely don't expect everyone to be so OCD about it.

Go off of measurements is key for me. 

Also I prefer looser full cuts. Not slim or tapered. 

So depending on the cut I’ll size up sometimes 

I'm with @Cold Summer. Loose or slim it's about the fit for you rather than emulating days gone by. I dig the heritage and history that goes with our collective obsession but I certainly don't want to look like historical Americana cosplay.

Can we just lock this thread now guys there's nothing here that's not covered elsewhere.

Edited by Geeman
Typo

yesyes

knowing very much difference in fora, not trying to pick fights or pick over old debates

and yes ocd and nerdiness is a good thing 

and

my mere point: decent fit is personal taste and matter of period

and our present is shot through with the past [embrace or reject?]

how many japanese fits operate in relation to past? [fit wise or mythology wise]

interest in jeans is to preclude vintage interest, or no sense of clothing history?

[i think personally that ‘decent close fit’ is itself within an historical parameter… not some ‘eternal jeans’ look – brando is not yahweh]

workwear to stay in museum, not be worn?

& there is no buzz rickson thread on this forum? 

[and yes, temporal cosplay not quite sane but not stupid either; shirking fashion's cycles has its shits n giggles, am quite enjoying a 20s/30s denim onesie to wear at all times at both office/home – but lucky to have no dress code for work – and no claims to sanity – miner cosplay; guilty as charged, why not? casual is its own performance, and sufu has great range thereof]

not demanding cosplay [sorry if seemed so] & no demand for historical specificity, but aiming for understanding that fits change in history… and that we all have access to that history, and to understand that there is no single decent fit [as all have said already]

no aim at fetishism of re-creation, but to think that jeans have not always had belts and not always been tight and that more recent present of 1990s they are huge and that if moving to embrace casual present: then add that 5% stretch fabric... or if thinking that most 'decent' jeans of present address some moment of the past, then: floodgates...

(also, shift from ‘working’ clothes to ‘casual’ in menswear also has its own history: pdf attached for some basics readings; too nerdy?)

Masculine Identities.pdf