stevesoul

1966 501's... in 1966

A thoroughly enjoyable read, makes me wonder what £5 in 1966 equates to in 2018!

not bad holiday money!

Screenshot_20180308-062634.png

Edited by oomslokop
wrong photo

Loved reading this. Thanks for sharing!

Great story!! My first pair of 501s was bought in the early '80s, so definitely not the same quality denim as a mid-'60s model, or even a post-"71/pre-''79 model for that matter. But compared to pretty much anything else available at the time, these were still like scoring gold!  In the world of jeans, Levi's (501s actually) were something special, and I remember detailing my first pair with the same awe, and anticipation for what it would become once faded. Unfortunately, that era ended abruptly in 1984; I still remember the shock (and disappointment) when shopping for jeans, and discovering that the black bar tacks were gone, the back pockets moved up, and -most horrifying- the selvage was gone as well. My next pair of brand new Levi's would only come 15 years later in the form of a pair of LVCs. In the meantime, flea markets provided used redlines (even Big Es if you were lucky) for $5 to $20, so all was not lost...