Land of the Lowrising Sun

erk

I thought this topic was going to be about low rise jeans. I am glad that it was the opposite.

I have similar issues to everyone here. I have a 32-33" waist and I will not go below an 11" rise and I really prefer 12" or higher. I think that the back rise is even more critical than the front because I hate it when jeans or pants are pulled down at the back when I sit. I have a relatively full seat for my height and weight.

Therefore, I go by a total rise minimum. I have found that the absolute lowest total rise that is comfortable for me is 27". My minimum front rise measurement is 11", as long as it is accompanied with a back rise of 16" or greater (but preferably more). My minimum back rise is 15" and I've found that only works for me if the front rise is 12" or higher. 

Some examples

Stan Ray USA Fatigue Pant Tapered Fit, Size 31: 12.5" front rise, 15" back rise
Chad Prom Linen pants, size 3: 11" front rise, 17.75" back rise

For the hips I can fit into a minimum of 19-19.5 across the hips, but it's really tight and that affects the comfort when walking and sitting. I think my hips ideal fit is 20.5"-21"

Glad I’m also not the only one in this boat! I’m a ~31.75 natural waist but often size up to 33 just to get a front rise that’s high enough. Interestingly I only noticed that I preferred wearing my jeans higher when I purchased a new belt that held them up properly! Suddenly my pairs I thought fit perfect just crushed my junk when I wore them at what I realized was the most comfortable waist level. 

^ Second the comment on the Stan Ray fatigues though, my size 32 pair has like a 12.5 inch rise which would be a bit much on a pair of jeans but works well for other styles. I recently brought my 633s back into rotation and have been getting more used to wearing them lower on my hips. Wish IH would do an 888 in their new 14oz denim 

Edited by Fooleo

well, my original post was really about how the lower rise appears to be a change made by japanese brands to make pants that fit an asian frame. Denime, Samurai, Sugar Cane, TCB 60s, Resolute all seem to fall into this category for me. 

More westerner friendly companies seem to include TCB (50s, 20s, Seamens), Warehouse, Ooe...etc 

That being said Earl's Apparel will certainly get you a good rise. I absolutely love this brand. I don't have anything from their Stan Ray label which seems to be going after a more stylish market with tapered/slim offerings. Most of my experience is with the Gung Ho camp trouser ( which I maintain is one of the best pairs of pants of all time.) and the Gung Ho fatigue pant ( which is probably the exact same as the Stan Ray). The only issue with Gung Ho stuff is you have to spend some time with a seam ripper to remove the ghastly purple logo that comes on the back pocket flap.  

So there are other people looking for high rise jeans? Glad to have found this thread.

Newbie here and just received Japan Blue 0606 High Tapered today from Okayadenim. Love the rise but not the fit so sending it back. Will either downsize to size 36 or pick something else like Momotaro G004 Copper label maybe. Reading up about about TCB 50s as they're mentioned on this thread a lot. 

I have found that I cannot wear low rise jeans anymore. I need at least an 11in rise for jeans and prefer around a 12.25-12.75in rise for my 35in waist.

My Conner's jeans fit amazingly well as a result. Sure, the hips are a little tight, but simply size up accordingly and you're good to go. 

On 2/15/2018 at 12:40 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I usually wear all jeans at roughly the same spot on my body, resulting in a nut-crushing fit, a saggy looking fit or a “perfect” fit if the waist is just right.
The only brand of high rise jeans I really wear higher on my body are the Conner’s. My Ooe and FC 1101 have a higher rise but they just don’t stay higher on my body (also with a belt) and just don’t feel right there.

I generally share this sentiment. My higher rise jeans end up at the top of my hips, regardless of belt or not. The recent exception is Roy Memorial jeans - they actually stay at my waist, without a belt, and don't feel tight at the waist. This is very likely due to still being new and not stretched out yet, time will tell. But it's the first high rise cut that I've really found comfortable that I think looks good on me. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 8:47 AM, garden gnomes in space said:

i cant do low rises either.  At the same time, I share Volvo's sentiment about the gut.  Over the past 1.5 years I have gained 25 pounds and am having a hell of time dropping any of it.  I am not really exercising and I drink too much red wine so I cant really say I have been trying but regardless having a gut and a 12"+ front rise is almost as bad as a ball busting 10.5" rise.  One problem I am having as of late with the TCB 20's is that when I am standing up I am constantly having to pull them up but when I sit it hits right where my stomach fat rolls up and chokes me haha.  

I can imagine as I was there till about a month ago. I needed 13" inch front rise as the jeans would only stay up if I wore them at my navel button. I would pull them down while sitting. While that worked and I gathered many high rise jeans, it's the muffin top that needed to go. Fortunately, I am rapidly losing weight now due to a diet change and am wearing jeans that have been un-used for a long time.

But I agree about that stomach fat roll up and the choking feeling. That's actually what made me stand up about a month ago and say I can't do this anymore. I need to lose weight.

Edited by i_denim

• 2 weeks later...

We’re all jeans in the 40s/50s fairly high rise? How did we get to the current situation where guys are expected to wear women’s jeans with a rise of 11 inches?

is warehouse lot800 genuinely high rise?

i am so angry at my first pair of FH3012 ending up at 11.5 inch front rise after washing. Am I supposed to leave the boys at home?

8 minutes ago, i_denim said:

We’re all jeans in the 40s/50s fairly high rise? How did we get to the current situation where guys are expected to wear women’s jeans with a rise of 11 inches?

is warehouse lot800 genuinely high rise?

i am so angry at my first pair of FH3012 ending up at 11.5 inch front rise after washing. Am I supposed to leave the boys at home?

If a high rise pair with aggressive taper is the question, Lee 101 Cinch Tapered is the answer. ;)

2 hours ago, i_denim said:

am so angry at my first pair of FH3012 ending up at 11.5 inch front rise after washing. 

Sorry that they did not turn out the way you expected BUT maybe you should have listened to the advice and done your home work before rushing to buy something. Hopefully your next purchase will be satisfactory.