I WEAR JIKA–TABI [地下足袋]

danii

//JIKATABI INFO DUMP//

RETAILERS/SELLERS: Japan-ZoneJika-Tabi.comSOU SOUMaison MargielaAssabootsAyya Wear,  AmazonEbay

In my experience Japan Zone has the most to offer in terms of selection, never had any shipping issues either, cant speak to the others as I haven't ordered from them.

BRANDS/MANUFACTURERES: RikioSuokaidoMarugo, TakesyoSOU SOUAyya WearLafeetMaison MargielaAbasi Rosborough,

There are typically three different types or styles of Tabi that you can find with the first three makers listed, those being:

BACKGROUND ON ME AND MY TABI EXPERIENCES/RIKIO VS SUOKAIDO:

My first pair of Jikatabi were passed down to me from my Dad (yes seriously he used to wear them for rock climbing and hiking in his teens) I wore them sparingly and not in public.  They were from Suokaido and are probably the most common tabi in the US, velcro fastened with a very thin sole, the rubber wasnt flexible and they didnt fit very well in the calf.  Eventually I wanted another pair, something with more padding and a more adjustable fit.  I bought a pair of Rikio Fighter Tabi and found them to be much more comfortable and well fitted in the leg, the sole was still quite thin so I bought a pair of insoles and cut a split in them to match the tabi design.  After a year of solid everyday wear my custom insoles had to be replaced twice, the tread was holding up just fine and so was the stitching but I decided I wanted another pair.  The summer rolled around and I bought a pair of Rikio Air Fit Short, these have a padded insole built for shock absorption and comfort.  The padding is glued to the sole from the inside and it gives the entire shoe a more rigid fit that forms to your foot and gives you arch support, the rubber sole is soft but strong, it holds up against asphalt but will still bend with your foot instead of restricting it.  The most comfortable shoe I've ever worn, I've had two pair in the last 3 years, the first being the initial pair I bought which lasted me 2 years with constant everyday wear, the other is still in near perfect condition after a year of 80% daily wear.

CLOSING/SHUT UP ALREADY:

Theres many different Tabi to choose from in various colors and styles, I hope this long post will help you narrow down a pair that suit you.  Feel free to DM me with any questions or post them here, I'd be happy to help.

//JIKATABI INFO DUMP//  

So I was in Maha yesterday chatting to the always helpful staff and those Maha Tabi's are definitely dropping as part of SS18 in black and a limited edition olive. Here's some pics of the ones used in the runway show (that were hand painted!). I bought the triple pack of Tabi socks in preparation anyway (and to wear with my air rifts!).

20180211_143145.jpg

20180211_143002.jpg

20180211_142948.jpg

Cool stuff Dolphinski, the olive looks rad.  In case you or anyone else wants a pair before the Maha SS18 drop, Marugo has had them out for a while sans olive cw.  Heres the shorter version in black, white, and navy, and then the taller version in black or white.

Really interested in picking up some Tabi's in the future. I mostly wear 'barefoot' style shoes and there's only one barefoot style winter boot I've come across.

It's more of a techwear type of execution to the simplicity of the tabis I'm seeing talked about in this thread... Although without the split toe.

The boots I refer to are the Kuuva from a company in Finland called Feelmax: http://store.feelmax.com/kuuva-4-hiking-boot

I dont have any pics of them on my feet but I found this pic on Google:

ACUXkgX.jpg

Much like traditional Tabis these boots have no heel-drop or midsole:

Q26iT6q.jpg

in other barefoot news I tried the fivefingers yesterday (JUST FOR GYM) and they did not fit my mutant feet so it was kind of a relief for my girlfriend cause she can't stand them. So my chances of getting laid are not that harmed yet (but haven't told her about the tabis yet:D)

• 1 month later...

in other news I got my tabis from japanstore but so far I did not have much time to wear them (my doggo scratched my finger right where tabi goes). First impressions are not that good: the heel is kinda low and not supportive and the sock pack I bought is pretty thick and it does not feel very secure, I guess I need another pair for my mutant feet.

I'd suggest looking into transition barefoot shoes/boots.

Many of the more extreme barefoot brands offer a transition model which helps support the foot as you learn to walk correctly instead of landing hard on your heels.

The Belville MiniMil is a great barefoot boot, and they have a transition model available as well!

8wgmQ1c.jpg

https://www.bellevilleboot.com/mini-mil-trade.php

Day to day I only wear barefoot style footwear with no support, no heel->toe drop, and lots of flexibility. I personally prefer this style far beyond typical footwear. however it took about a year to make the switch fully.

For those interested in barefoot style footwear like Tabis and Huarches and such... my personal favorite shoe which I wear and run in everyday are the SoleRunner FX Trainers.

zizorll.jpg

https://www.sole-runner-shop.com/en/fx-trainer-4-black-red-unisex/a-301210/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

anybody bought the margiela flat tabi boots? just received mine and they are AWESOME but i am a bit conflicted about whether i should add protection to the leather soles...

here's a picture to show u how sex they are

8c674029-dbcd-46ab-963b-66e04d5538e2.jpeg

used to really want a pair of the visvim sashiko folk and was actually actively shopping around for a pair until i saw that they finally made a flat soled version of the margiela tabis for men – i'm glad i held out

1FED5C13-3D1D-45EE-9468-AA6BD636A3BC.thumb.jpg.c2c9579251a29b1777992786e1b49be0.jpg

IMG_7059.jpg

1 minute ago, conqueror said:

make sure you do the played out cigarette photo shoot asap.

unfortunately i have quit smoking
that said, a cigarette is the best fashion accessory, and the meme value of a tabi-gripped cigarette is pretty damned high

• 9 months later...