Flash have you ever had tried your Black Bay on a NATO strap or you prefer to keep it on the bracelet?

I tried my 14060M on the old bond NATO :

Xpf0T7R.jpg

MybOrYP.jpg

Not as cool but unfortunately prices for vintage Rolex's are through the roof. Still cant help but love the old dials with nice patina and gilt text. Something like this is a dream watch :

eJBH65y.jpg

Thanks @aho. My maternal grandfather's dad was a high level French official (the prefect, so the republican equivalent to a viceroy in those times) in Morocco before it regained its full independence. He had a Breguet gold watch which then passed on to my grandfather. Unfortunately it was stollen from him and I never even saw it.

My new dive watch arrived. It’s a German-made Damasko Dsub1.

I love the fact that the date window is offset at 4 o’clock while keeping the numbers horizontal (and I hate that they’re so small I can’t read them without my glasses...)

5E563F24-3894-4078-B6EE-C797A314560B.jpeg

I generally like the look of the Nato straps, but in practice they don't fit my wrist nearly as well as a bracelet (watch ends up offset towards the outside of my arm). I'm in the process of switching all of mine to bracelets.

It feels like a potential gap in the thread so far is vintage tudors. Any love for those?

Here’s a pic of my 079090. I really like the mix of tritium with mat dial and acrylic. Basically the closest thing I could get to a vintage sub.

(if anyone is curious, I’m wearing a Dawson denim jacket and tender co jumper).

DE07A643-9750-435F-BE0B-AAAB938F3F3B.jpeg

@Maynard Friedman

I've used this guy Jan a number of times. He's located in Slovakia, but he does great work. He's got a bunch of straps ready to go, but then he'll also do custom orders and designs. You can get a nice custom cordovan strap from him for about $100. Nice guy to deal with. 

https://www.watchstrapheaven.com/

On 2018/1/13 at 8:32 AM, louisbosco said:

@Wei Wen i'd agree that patek isn't too rugged. but something like the nautilus/aquanaut can be quite casual. and also, have you seen john mayer pair visvim with his rose gold AP??? i thought that was pretty alright..

Yep, the rose gold is pretty cool.

@Maynard Friedman I can recommend toshi straps. Very well made.

@aho I really like vintage grand seiko - but isn’t there something about seiko no keeping parts after a certain number of years (20 or so)? That’s the only thing that would worry me but then again, I’m sure a good watch maker could figure something out.

My impulse buy Bell-Matic arrived yesterday. A little tatty but I'm pretty happy with it for the price. Going to keep an eye on eBay for a new dial (but they seem to be pretty rare and more expensive than the watch itself!). The strap is nasty though. Going to have a hunt round for a replacement. Open to suggestions from the SUFU hivemind? Wide lugs - might just get a nicer nato strap? Or a metal braclet?

IMG_0566.thumb.JPG.166c54a3fa4c63eefe31e02a4821ebd1.JPG

Edited by TheIntelligentHoodwinker

8 hours ago, TheIntelligentHoodwinker said:

... Going to have a hunt round for a replacement...

I've been looking at straps. There's an overwhelming amount of makers/suppliers... Here's some of what Iv'e come up with; 

• WatchFreeks has an extensive list of handmade and custom leather watch strap makers (you may have to register to see it) 
  • Etsy has numerous leather workers from all over the world that sell their own take on various styles. Just start poking around. Some have much better pricing than most brands. I've recently bought a couple of inexpensive straps - a single pass and button stud
  • Hirsch
  • Jack Foster 
  • Colareb - Italian watch strap maker 
  • Helm has a selection of different types of straps, but they only sell 22mm width straps presumably to fit their own dive watches
  • Crown and Buckle 
  • Dassari 
  • Clockwork Synergy  
  • Amazon is a good source, but there're so many and so much junk with prices all over the place. 
Edited by mpukas

That first vintage GS has the 62GS case shape I think. I like how the lugs are facetted.

On the subject of vintage GS, there’s a number of 50th anniversary LE models available on ebay and the like. They’re unique looking with a 12-sided bezel. I’m ... huh ... intrigued.