9 hours ago, (10chars) said:

Congrats @JDelage! That blue looks great.

@aho Have you owned the Tudor BB36? Its specs seem to be up your alley.

Owned the silver dial for a couple weeks when it first launched; I had my 34mm OP at the time which made me pick out all the things I didn't like about the Tudor unfortunately (looked a bit clunky, bracelet was squeaking)...That said, if I had to choose one, I'd actually go for the BB31 as I'm really trending smaller these days. Haven't revisited as I picked up the 124270 (36mm Explorer) which was probably what I was looking for all along in this type of watch 

My latest… not a Rolex, but for under $200 I’m impressed. NH35 running at -2 spd. Also, since I’ve had like 50 pairs of jeans with a red tab and arcs I’m ok with homages.

San martin x mister freedom X cat

171475C6-5244-4AA3-A3D9-FD74FCC36E4D.jpeg

Edited by cheapmuthafukr

No denim, but I'm hoping you'll give some leeway :laugh: Had the opportunity to try on some vintage goodies recently; Lug to lug seems a bit too long for my wrist, but I promise they wear well in real life and in proportion to my frame. Not that they're mine to worry about wearing anyway haha

04CEEC04-ACEC-44AC-BD87-46EE8F14C86F.JPG

A4A1E8DD-9649-46DD-BF32-A5154E99AE94.JPG

Edited by aho

Got myself a new watch after waiting for a suitable replacement for my old and busted CWC G-10.

Praesidus A-11 Combat. If you are looking for a great repro for a strong price, this is it. Built in the US, Swiss Quartz movement. Combat is the 32mm one, true to the original but they do make them bigger. Upgraded the strap to an all black one, which I really think suits it.

10DAC99B-2E28-4748-B0AE-D49B9052E313.jpeg

Edited by Facini

@aho - I love the Explorer II. It might be the perfect travel watch. I prefer the white dial one, but it's a small thing. Obviously, it's completely impossible to get one from a dealer...

• 2 weeks later...

no denim (yet) but I took my 1968 Oyster Date in for a service and a new mainspring at a local place, WatchGuy. I knew someone who apprenticed there and their work looks good to me. My watch should be ready to collect next week, but I really like that they post full movement photos on their site while the watch is being worked on, with a passworded link to full updates for the owner. They've had it for 3 weeks and the turnaround is a month. I'll post photos with denim when I have it back, but in the meantime here's how it looks at the moment:

media.thumb.jpeg.7fcaeb7082105a3dbca4eb362a9382a8.jpegmedia-2.thumb.jpeg.7c7cea7617cc65062e9ec8643272a8b0.jpeg

I have it back! with new mainspring, gaskets, and crystal. The power reserve tested at nearly 50hrs, which is way better than I’ve had recently. Couldn’t be happier with the service from Ray at watchguy.co.uk and all’s working well so far.
With Tender 132s being packed for Japanese restocks:

0448AF45-85A6-45B5-8A6A-6687ECB8872E.thumb.jpeg.952ae45d8463746a8456a33c340ddbc0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This was my fathers watch when he was a naval aviator in the 70s and 80s. It has been sitting in a drawer broken for the last 25 years and I finally convinced him to let me have it. Found a shop not to far from where I live that seemed confidant that they could fix it and it seems like they did a good job. I kept most of the wear and tear because I like the look of a worn watch. Need to find a proper bracelet and maybe replace the crystal at some point but I am happy that this is finally working again. 

christmas-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying my best to give up my watch.. it's hard because i haven't taken it off since the mid-90s.. it's a difficult habbit to break because if it's not on my wrist i feel like i've forgotten something which freaks me out.. but realistically in the days of tech who actually needs a watch other than posers, golfers or folks who like to display their wealth.. i'm not a tech guy i only got an iphone4 recently, given to me by my elderly aunt but there is a clock on the wall, a clock on the oven, a clock on my mac, a clock at work, a clock in the car.. clocks everywhere and apart from going to the dentist once/yr i don't actually need to be anywhere at any given time, certainly not to the nearest second.

My watch ran out of battery about a month ago, so although it's still on my wrist, it doesn't tell me the time.. this was the first step to see if i could live with not knowing the time at every given moment... I can, next step will be taking it off.

If you don’t want it or need it, then stop wearing it. I often need to know the time and am trying not to take my phone everywhere so it still has practical value, especially when running or swimming. Who needs tattoos or jewellery - are they for posers too? :-) At least a watch is functional.

If my watch stopped working, I’d stop wearing it or wear another one, it’s functional to me.

Edited by Maynard Friedman
Posers not posters

Yup, that's exactly what watches are.. wrist jewellery.

That was the reason for my post.. i am trying to stop wearing it but after having something on my wrist 24hrs/day for 30yrs it's almost become part of me and it feels like something is missing when i take it off.

Why do you need to know the time when you're swimming?

Edited by Double 0 Soul

So I know when to rise to the surface and breathe again :laugh2:

If you’re in the pool and are short-sighted (like I am) and can’t see the clock, it’s just as important to know the time then as on dry land. My kids wear watches as they don’t have phones at school, they both have plain Swatches so nothing fancy. My sister wears a watch, she’s never owned a mobile phone. My watch is automatic so doesn’t need to be charged regularly like a phone so is more reliable in that respect. Also, my portable sundial isn’t much use in the winter!

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I'm trying my best to give up my watch.. it's hard because i haven't taken it off since the mid-90s.. it's a difficult habbit to break because if it's not on my wrist i feel like i've forgotten something which freaks me out.. but realistically in the days of tech who actually needs a watch other than posers, golfers or folks who like to display their wealth.. i'm not a tech guy i only got an iphone4 recently, given to me by my elderly aunt but there is a clock on the wall, a clock on the oven, a clock on my mac, a clock at work, a clock in the car.. clocks everywhere and apart from going to the dentist once/yr i don't actually need to be anywhere at any given time, certainly not to the nearest second.

My watch ran out of battery about a month ago, so although it's still on my wrist, it doesn't tell me the time.. this was the first step to see if i could live with not knowing the time at every given moment... I can, next step will be taking it off.

I got rid of a watch years ago and was happy to do so. Then I got an apple watch as a ridiculous gift one year, but it's made itself almost indispensable to me. The hands free functions while chasing a toddler can't be understated - and since I am still too much of a data nerd about running/training stuff it's been great - that and the ability to voice appointment and other reminders to it as almost every week I have to be somewhere different at some different time. But I still sort of hate it, and haven't had an interest in this part of the forum for the same reasons. 

When I got rid of my watch some years ago (it wasn't a fancy one anyways) I think the first week or two were the weirdest, then freedom ensued. But I appreciate what there is to like about these things, I certainly get into other objects (like my cameras) for similar reasons. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

I got an Apple Watch free from work years ago. I wore it for less than a week and realised I hated it and went back to my analogue one. It’s been sitting unloved in my underwear draw ever since.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

6 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

you sound like the kind of guy who......needs to get the battery replaced. : )

I had a watch with well visible hands, a Сasio, when I meditated. It was convenient to open my eyes for a moment and see if it was time to finish. Now I don't meditate on time anymore, no need to have a watch. I boil eggs on a kitchen timer, it's more convenient for a purpose than watch. There doesn't seem to be another need. 

It's not very often i need to what the time is.. for instance, just because it's 9am doesn't mean that's time for breakfast.. some days i'll eat breakfast at 8.45am other days not till 11am.. no point in me eating when i'm not actually hungry.. i would rather listen to what my body tells me rather than what my watch tells me.. saying this i still feel compelled to look at my watch periodically throughout the day even though i have a clock on the wall.. sometimes i'll look at my watch already knowing roughly what time it is.. we're all being controlled by 'big watch' here people :D

Some people aren’t so fortunate in terms of freedom of time, just think of Amazon workers on timed toilet breaks. Anyway we know that you don’t need a watch so stop wearing one but you don’t have to try to convert us with your new found anti-watch evangelism :laugh2: