On 4/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, JDelage said:

I'm really drawn to the 556, esp. the one with the black pearl dial.

I'm a big fan of the MOP dial. It looks so good in this photo (not my photo btw). I was tempted to go that direction but I wanted to keep the tool aesthetic of the 556 and I think it disappears when you add applied indices and a fancy dial. 

IMG_6422.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The SBGW series is lovely. There’s an OEM bead-of-rice bracelet that was made for this case size and is gorgeous, and the simple dials are very clean & pure. This one, the 285, was released in the US with the 283, in pale blue, which might be even nicer if you are not enamored by green. The winding action is smooth and it’s fun to start every day with this small ceremonials. Also, they are a good entry point for Grand Seiko mechanical watches as they’re priced below $5k (for now).

23 hours ago, (10chars) said:

Do any of you use a watch winder? It would be nice to not have to re-wind and re-set my watch after not wearing it for a week or so.

I have one but I've never used it. My understanding is that it basically adds wear & tear on the watch. Setting a watch and winding it a bit is no big deal for me. I do think that I would probably want to use one if I had a perpetual calendar, as I suppose those must be a PITA to reset.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:44 AM, (10chars) said:

Do any of you use a watch winder? It would be nice to not have to re-wind and re-set my watch after not wearing it for a week or so.

I dont. I had a conversation a while back with some of the guys who work at Grand Seiko and they all recommended not using it since it adds extra wear on the moving components. They preferred just setting it again if it's stopped so I just followed their advice on it. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, (10chars) said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the newly rereleased Tudor Ranger? I'm a big fan although I would prefer it in 36mm. I'd be contemplating purchasing one if I didn't already have two similar 3/6/9 dial watches already.

With my tiny wrists I'd be happier with a 34 or 36mm but 39mm is reasonable for most wrists. I think it's a watch with broad appeal and the T-fit clasp and non faux riveted bracelet is icing on the cake, but stylistically it's not to my preference due to the fauxtina. Definitely lots of value though if you like the aesthetic! 

NWA. I've been wanting a field watch for a while and this one is close to perfect: hardened steel case & bracelet, super legible dial, no date, WR 200m, 40mm, thin, etc. I used to have the Damasko DSub1, but I sold it because it was fairly thick with a completely flat case side, and it didn't do well with long sleeves. This one shouldn't be a problem and the dial design is much nicer.

Damasko DK30 Ocean, SDA SD-102

Damasko_DK30Ocean.jpg