3 hours ago, JDelage said:

Omega FTW

As much as I love Rolex (and Seiko), if I tried Omega much earlier I would've saved much time and effort over the past few years...:tongue:

That said, my Sub Date is still my favorite of my watches, but my PO will be taking daily duty moving forward!

The Sub is a classic for a reason. One thing I enjoy with the Seamaster is that it doesn't catch on the sleeves. It's not too high ad it's nicely profiled. This is the case for the Sub too of course.

• 2 weeks later...

D084B1EF-3672-463A-A38D-A1E89DD5B97D.thumb.JPG.773272f0fc406b8e7a4de22ed99c11e2.JPG

Fun kickstarter type brand out of Kyoto called KUOE. Inspired by vintage British watches, these are mostly 35mm with 100m WR and screw down crown (Seiko auto movement). Hoping they get popular and start getting wild with local artisans (Kyoto ceramic dials would be insane)

Any experience with Vague Watch Co.? Really like the look of the Vabble. Seems like the cases are outsourced; the movements are from Japan, but it’s not clear to me who makes them…

Always open to suggestions for other mechanical watches (preferably auto) in ~30 mm cases / with this general form factor—the options seem to be very slim

I've never heard of Vague so I don't know where they might be made, but Orient and Seiko (Japanese companies) both make lower-priced watches for third-parties (but likely not actually made in Japan). 30mm is on the small side for a watch by modern standards, so the options are going to be a little limited. I think William at Tender has quite a good collection of mechanicals in this style-(ish?) around the size you're looking for.

https://www.tenderstores.com/product-category/watches/

Otherwise, I'd seek out vintage where you will have a very good range of choice for good prices in watches of that diameter.

Try also taking a look at Watchrecon for what's available in the secondary market.

Thanks @persco_. My current daily is the Black-Out Complete Watch from GS/TP, and that's just about the perfect case size (and style) for me, so you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm on the lookout for something a little more formal-feeling, which is where the Vague may come in.

Any tips on where to start hunting for vintage?

I'd take a look at vintage Omega Seamasters -- like the pie pan dials. They're around the size you're interested in (maybe a touch bigger at 34mm). You could also pick up a small vintage Rolex for a good price (relative to the prices for larger sport models). Search Watchrecon (link above) and you'll get a good idea of what's for sale and where. Omega Forums is a good place to get started on what to look for. The vintage market is also filled with a lot of frankenwatches.