On 7/10/2020 at 8:36 PM, volvo240thebest said:

^ amazing patina! love it

I think this is just from the rain haha

On 7/10/2020 at 9:01 PM, aho said:

Love the OG58! Kind of want both now, but will keep the blue for now as my daily wearer....It'll be dangerous once they release more colors as well

I love the blue but the OG is probably the better overall colour. Still tempted though.

6 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

My weekend watch..

Its got everything one would need, compass, magnifying glass, radio, walkie talkie, secret message capsule...

IMG_1473

...oh and it tells the time too B)

giphy.gif

Okay everyone, my wife’s birthday is coming up in a few months and I want to get her a nice watch. I’m thinking something with ETA/Sellita for ease of serviceability and reliability. Had considered getting her a Tangente in 33mm, but I don’t think she’ll remember to wind it. She’s not very much into bling and her style is pretty subdued. Was looking at some of the Oris big crown pointers in the smaller sizes and those might be an option. She mentioned that she would want a watch to be small and fairly elegant.  I’m also leaning more towards a bracelet because of all the frequent hand washing these days. 

Thoughts?

I keep coming back to the nomos haha. 

D3800A92-44F3-4156-999D-877248CB062B.png

Edited by SuperJackle

17 minutes ago, goodrain said:

I bought a similar Longines for mrs mondo many years ago (returning the favour after she gave me one); I agree that rectangular watches are nice on women. She hasn't really worn it a great deal, though — her preferred rectangular option is an Apple watch, which is just.. I dunno, for me it's like having a phone fade on a pair of '40s repro jeans, not into it. Mine's been good these past 15 years, though I do wear Seiko daily to avoid beating it up any further..

1 hour ago, JDelage said:

Don't Nomos use proprietary mechanisms?

Depends on the watch as some are more proprietary than others. I believe you're thinking of their escapement called the "Nomos Swing System" which is proprietary, but it's only in their DUW calibers, not the Greek letter calibers.

Also , the Alpha movement is 'in house,' but is based off the Peseux 7001. I personally do not know how similar it is to its base movement and whether or not it can be serviced as easily, but I believe that there are enough parts that are not interchangeable to make it 'in house' and thus cannot be serviced in the same way.

2 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Depends on the watch as some are more proprietary than others. I believe you're thinking of their escapement called the "Nomos Swing System" which is proprietary, but it's only in their DUW calibers, not the Greek letter calibers.

Also , the Alpha movement is 'in house,' but is based off the Peseux 7001. I personally do not know how similar it is to its base movement and whether or not it can be serviced as easily, but I believe that there are enough parts that are not interchangeable to make it 'in house' and thus cannot be serviced in the same way.

Yep, and honestly since I have an alpha movement club inbound, it wouldn’t be the biggest inconvenience to have to eventually send two watches out for service. My main concern is her not remembering to wind it. I’ll just keep on looking, most likely. 

12 minutes ago, SuperJackle said:

Yep, and honestly since I have an alpha movement club inbound, it wouldn’t be the biggest inconvenience to have to eventually send two watches out for service. My main concern is her not remembering to wind it. I’ll just keep on looking, most likely. 

They have some automatics around 35-36mm but not sure if that is too big

https://www.jomashop.com/nomos-minimatik-watch-1204.html

Yeah I had her try on a vintage gruen I have in 34 and she said that was a little too big. I’ve found a few Oris Arteliers in about 29mm and I’m thinking that might be the route I go. I have a few months before her birthday, so plenty of time to do all the research and geek-out, haha. 

Snapped a picture of my Hamilton, which I wear pretty much every day. The main reason for that is the strap. I absolutely love it. Managed to get it from Standard and Strange, but wish they had a bigger size for my Tudor.

7F3D9700-01B1-42CF-B861-7F85885490F4.thumb.jpeg.0acde8bb87785dcc84bd86605be7b40f.jpeg

Edited by Lazerr

32 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

WTF! look at my pasty-white goth arms compared to the rest of y'alls.. even @Duke Mantee has been on the sunbed

:blush:

My natural golden skin ... but you can get a bit weather beaten ‘round these parts. It’s not the same for you ‘northern’ factory workers 

Edited by Duke Mantee

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, darkstar73 said:

beautiful piece! 

Thanks! I had been looking for a vintage seiko for a while now and my friend found me one. I had been tempted by that new seiko 5 sports - srpe55. But I think 40mm is too big for me. Also I just love the vintage styles - imagine that. 

Edited by erk

37 minutes ago, erk said:

Thanks! I had been looking for a vintage seiko for a while now and my friend found me one. I had been tempted by that new seiko 5 sports - srpe55. But I think 40mm is too big for me. Also I just love the vintage styles - imagine that. 

Looks great! I’m loving the new SPB143J1 and others in the Prospex series but can’t buy another watch right now... I’ll probably switch to my SKX013 in the fall. 

Took forever and had a hassle with customs, but finally received the Club Campus Nacht on Monday. Absolutely love the proportions. Alpha movement is super nice looking and a joy to wind. Has only gained 5 sec since Monday. 

FB10E718-B6A5-4C4F-ADBA-5F8579C94560.jpeg

2B6D5993-1358-4A09-BDAF-CDBE468691D4.jpeg

7461BD7B-DBF6-4483-AC8A-20F2E63ACA53.jpeg

Edited by SuperJackle

• 2 weeks later...

How goes the bb58 honeymoon, Aho? I see you kept around a prospex after your GS purge eh? Been pining over the SPB149 as a viable alternative to the 58. Only concerns, well several of them, are shitty bracelet, 6r35 (it seems reliability is spotty and these are unregulated apparently, so all kinds of variation?) and the limited aspect which has made the price creep up even beyond msrp. The latter is why I’ve never gone for a 58 as well. 

I might just end up selling the captain cook and getting an aquis 39.5. I think I’ve gotten over the integrated lugs and have come to appreciate Oris quality:price. I’ve also decided only one diver in the collection at any given time, so 1 in, 1 out like with my jeans from now on. Or so I say, lol.

Edited by SuperJackle