Nothing wrong with a G-Shock of course, love it.

"Military" is broad; Completely depends on era, etc. but plenty of brands from Seiko, Sinn, to Rolex have made watches for military issue since before WWII and through modern day. But for sure, G-Shock is what you'll see most likely these days. (Aside from the enthusiasts on the forums etc. who will show themselves wearing Rolex GMT's flying fighter jets etc.)

As for the topic at hand, Sub and Uniqlo denim shirt. :tongue:

Thought I would post a follow up with the BB41 on the jacquard nato that it also came with. The urban camo seems to be hit or miss in watch circles, but I really dig it. It’s nice looking, but not quite sturdy enough for how heavy the case is, even without the bracelet. 

I’m pretty impressed with the accuracy on this 2824, and I don’t normally nerd out on that stuff. Synchronized it as best I could with my atomic g shock and over the course of a few weeks it’s running pretty consistently at about +2 sec per day. Not exactly like it’s leaps and bounds better than a standard or elabore grade; it seems those can run pretty close to those specs out of the gate as well. 

2A3E89AE-2878-403F-9505-FDD58F04A71B.jpeg

Have been considering a BB36 for years; How has the design on the 41 been for you with time? Pretty no non-sense watch that can wear with anything and not look out of place, but still rugged enough as a daily. Keep talking myself into it...

1 hour ago, aho said:

Have been considering a BB36 for years; How has the design on the 41 been for you with time? Pretty no non-sense watch that can wear with anything and not look out of place, but still rugged enough as a daily. Keep talking myself into it...

The versatility you speak of is what drew me to it, actually! I’m still quite keen on it, but I’ve felt the urge to baby it and not let the mirror polishing on the bezel get any scratches. I originally wanted it because of said versatility, but found that it dresses up really well. Not sure it still would if I were to really ding the case while using it as the tool watch I intended it to be. That said, I can’t imagine where I would possibly need to be that requires a “dressy-ish” watch in the next year or so, given current circumstances :D. I’m not a watch flipper, however I still would like to keep the resale value as high as possible, if the future dictates I ever need to get rid of it. 

Now, about the size; I’m about 90% loving it. With the bracelet, it has a tendency to feel and look like a solid block of metal, maybe in part due to the weight. The explorer 1 has kind of been my benchmark for this style of watch for some time, and if I could have afforded it( and also convinced myself and the wife to pay that kind of coin), I’d have probably gone that route. Firstly, because of the size, then also you get the chromalight lume and classic design etc. Man, if they had done a bb36 and a bb39, I’d have no qualms whatsoever. Then again maybe that would have been too much internal comp for the explorer, given the popularity of the bb58.

All things considered, I really do like it and I think with the super high quality construction, snowflake hands which I love, and top grade 2824 keeping cosc specs, there would be no reason for me to pay 3x the price for an explorer. 

Quite honestly, the ETA is a plus for me. I’m not down with $1k service costs just for them to swap out the movement. Or at least that’s what I’ve seen rumored to be the price/procedure for servicing the in-house. 

The 36 is such a strong piece too, though! If I was a vintage lover, or had smaller wrists, I probably would have gone that route. 

Edited by SuperJackle

Much appreciated @SuperJackle; Indeed I'm on the small wrist size but have been debating between this (within the next year), or an Exp (within next few years). I'm looking forward to seeing what new models Tudor will release this year though, which may change my mind (smaller Pelagos please!). Rumor is July for novelties, at least for Rolex.

12 hours ago, aho said:

Nothing wrong with a G-Shock of course, love it.

"Military" is broad; Completely depends on era, etc. but plenty of brands from Seiko, Sinn, to Rolex have made watches for military issue since before WWII and through modern day. But for sure, G-Shock is what you'll see most likely these days. (Aside from the enthusiasts on the forums etc. who will show themselves wearing Rolex GMT's flying fighter jets etc.)

As for the topic at hand, Sub and Uniqlo denim shirt. :tongue:

Oh by “real” I mean the ones worn by deployed soldiers on duty but not in an office. Those Military watches are beautiful but when you are working or even training you don’t want to risk an expensive watch. So imho G-Shock do the best job. They’re Light and resistant to scratches, water, mud, impacts, etc 

I was wondering if you knew another brand like G-Shock 

Edited by Duodequinquagesimus

11 hours ago, Duodequinquagesimus said:

I was wondering if you knew another brand like G-Shock 

Realistically a G-Shock will do the job better than anything else really. That said, Marathon, Damasko, and Sinn make pretty rugged watches as well in more "traditional" analog form if that's what you seek

4 hours ago, aho said:

Realistically a G-Shock will do the job better than anything else really. That said, Marathon, Damasko, and Sinn make pretty rugged watches as well in more "traditional" analog form if that's what you seek

And Dievas.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been this geeked on a new watch in a while...I've had a few Seiko Tuna's in the past, but none in the 1000m range. "Darth" Tuna has been on my mind a number of years, but I've always put it off. Now that they're updating the dial this year etc, I decided now or never as I actually prefer this design over all others. 

Though rated for 1000m, these were strapped to a submersible and found to keep running well over 3x that: 

• 1 month later...

@aho you hear anything else about Rolex novelties coming in July? Wondering if the circulating pic of the blue bezel bb58 has any truth to it, and was hoping Tudor had some reveals coming around the same time. 

Btw, I ordered a nomos club campus nacht, should be here in a week or so. I’ll post a wrist shot when it gets here. I’m prepared for the California dial hate coming my way haha :P

4 minutes ago, SuperJackle said:

@aho you hear anything else about Rolex novelties coming in July? Wondering if the circulating pic of the blue bezel bb58 has any truth to it, and was hoping Tudor had some reveals coming around the same time. 

Btw, I ordered a nomos club campus nacht, should be here in a week or so. I’ll post a wrist shot when it gets here. I’m prepared for the California dial hate coming my way haha :P

Nice pick up on the Nomos!

Tudor is releasing the BB58 Blue on July 1st, I've actually seen it and it's splendid. No gilt, blue dial, blue bezel, white markers etc. Still has the riveted bracelet.

Long story short, I've ordered one :P

As far as Rolex, they're saying September now. I suspect it'll just be the Submariner getting an update this year (slimmed lugs like the new GMT's, new movement, Hulk discontinued), saving the Exp II for next year's anniversary. Probably some new dial variants on the typical OP and DJ's as well.

10 minutes ago, aho said:

Nice pick up on the Nomos!

Tudor is releasing the BB58 Blue on July 1st, I've actually seen it and it's splendid. No gilt, blue dial, blue bezel, white markers etc. Still has the riveted bracelet.

Long story short, I've ordered one :P

As far as Rolex, they're saying September now. I suspect it'll just be the Submariner getting an update this year (slimmed lugs like the new GMT's, new movement, Hulk discontinued), saving the Exp II for next year's anniversary. Probably some new dial variants on the typical OP and DJ's as well.

Nice, man! I’ve been considering trading the 41 for a bb58 at some point, and was hoping the new release will make the street price drop a bit. Did you have to get on a waitlist at the AD?

2 hours ago, SuperJackle said:

Nice, man! I’ve been considering trading the 41 for a bb58 at some point, and was hoping the new release will make the street price drop a bit. Did you have to get on a waitlist at the AD?

No waitlist per se, I don't think people even really know they're going to be released since nothing official has been stated by Tudor. I was lucky enough to be tipped off in advance!

The Explorer was my grail watch for years and I finally managed to pick it up a couple of years ago to celebrate my sons birth, this is the 2014 edition and I love the understated design and how sleek it is.

IMG_4255.jpeg

Looks great in your photo! The hodinkee pics so far really didn’t do it much justice, imho. 

So one of the things which I love/hate on the regular 58 is the gilding. On the one hand, it offers some nice warmth and looks kinda flossy. The bezel gilding isn’t so much the issue, nor the hands, but the one thing I can’t stand on repros/homages is faux lume. I get that vintage lume looks cool, but it’s actually vintage. It reeks to me of pre-distressed jeans. Even though the 58 doesn’t have that, the gilded markers when combined with the cream colored lume kind of look faux lumey, at least at first glance.

I’m digging the stark dial here on yours. Kind of why I gravitated towards the non bezel series. Probably would have gone with the steel bezel and date version if I didn’t think it would wear too tall/thick. I actually prefer a date wheel as well, symmetry be damned haha. 

Edited by SuperJackle

10 minutes ago, SuperJackle said:

Aho, I was busy editing and adding more to my comment when you replied - I think. Sorry!

haha indeed, I missed the rest! Totally agree with you. A lot of the people hating on the blue are saying they wish it had gilt to it, or some creamier colored lume, which as you said I don't take well to much as I'm not in to pre-distressed jeans. The blue occupies the perfect space of older sizing and dimensions, whilst maintaining a sense of modernity with the stark contrast of blue and white.  One of the best parts of the watch is how the silver/white hands grabs light in low lit areas...Beautiful! Similar in theory to Grand Seiko hands, but different execution. This watch is an instant classic to me, and I'm packing away my Sub for a while to let this one shine. I'd go so far as to say I could sell everything off to keep only this one, and I'd be okay with that. (Not happening since the Sub is everything to me though lol)

As far as thickness, it's no contest. The 58 case is perfect! Def. check it out when you get a chance

Decided to post my first big purchase for a watch: Tudor Black Bay. Initially I was aiming to get a Speedmaster but something about the Black Bay just caught my eye. I’ve had this watch for about 4 months but don’t really wear it much as there aren’t many places to wear it to. Looking to get a nice leather strap for it so recommendations would be greatly appreciated :). My next watch would probably be a Grand Seiko or a Seamaster, but that will most likely be later down the line. 1BE1A224-5AD4-443D-A833-2C5C64439EC0.thumb.jpeg.ea7c29076cd6f53f40545a89f088d591.jpeg

On 7/3/2020 at 2:41 AM, aho said:

BB58 Blue...Possibly the perfect watch for a denimhead

F9810595-116B-408C-A5A1-C6F92CE11CCA.jpeg

Oh man, I was hoping they would release this colour! Even though about swapping my BB58 for it!

03F04CBF-4772-4F0A-8FAB-59E069239667.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Illcutz said:

Oh man, I was hoping they would release this colour! Even though about swapping my BB58 for it!

Love the OG58! Kind of want both now, but will keep the blue for now as my daily wearer....It'll be dangerous once they release more colors as well