I've been contemplating for quite a while how to ask this: what do the denim-head watch aficionados here think of battery powered quartz movements? I don't have anything against quartz in general. What detracts from the appeal is the battery. All watches will need some service and attention at some point, so why should changing a battery be seen any differently? I don't know and for me I can't quite describe it. 

Other hybrid options exist to power a quartz movement including solar and kinetic. Solar has a drawback in that the dial has to be a mini-solar panel and therefore limits dial design somewhat. Kinetic uses mechanical + electrical technologies, and there may be drawbacks that I'm not aware of. I think this is a great combination and I'd would like to see it utilized more. 

I ask this partially because I quite like the Victorinox INOX / Pro Diver watches. I'm looking for a simple, very durable watch (not G-SHOCK), and the design of the INOX appeals to me, mostly (the dial is a little too busy w/ branding and wording). It's the battery that causes hesitation. Also I'm not sure I buy the marketing that it has a quartz movement because an auto isn't durable enough. Perhaps a really durable auto would increase cost and put it above their price point? And if it's really so durable and tough, why does it only have a 200m WR, when other certified dive watches are 300m+ (not that I need/want more than 200m; that + screw down crown is sufficient). If it didn't have a battery it'd be a no-brainer for me, and maybe it'd be much more popular overall. 

Image result for Victorinox Swiss Army I.N.O.X. Watch

Image result for Victorinox Swiss Army I.N.O.X. Watch

Image result for Victorinox Swiss Army pro dive I.N.O.X. Watch

7 hours ago, Broark said:

@mpukas just dug up some very old photos of the two, next time I see him I'll try to take some better photos.
P7Brn1Q.jpg
YPkc2PG.jpg
And here's my Panerai:
PaLVSuD.jpg

The ceramic Panerai is awesome, but that Lange 1 is like ultimate grail material  

Btw, howdy from another Austin watch and denim fan *waves*

@mpukas from what I have read, quartz movements are less sensitive to shock and are more durable in general, but I am no expert. 

For me, it depends on the specific quartz movement and the purpose it serves which is the same for automatic movements. Personally, I view an in house quartz movement as superior to a non-in house mechanical movement. The battery may have to be replaced, but you have to service mechanical watches as well.

In the case of this watch, the quartz movement makes sense due to the purpose it serves. Then again, I'm obviously biased because of the watch I just purchased.

Also, for what it's worth, I quite like the overall design of that Victorinox.

@Broark those are some real stunners! No, I will not be wearing the gloves :D I just had them on to take the initial pictures. This one will be my every day watch, so it will not be babied at all.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

Quite the collection! Saw some Lange in person over the weekend actually and am continually blown away. Would def. take one over a Patek any day personally, but I'd just as soon buy an FP as my ultimate grail (stylistic preferences only). 

Re: quartz, it's all personal preference again! I ended up selling my 9F GS quartz diver over the weekend, mostly because I haven't been wearing it and am preferring other designs lately, but lets not forget that quartz was an evolution in watch making because it's much more accurate, practical, and more cost effective overall. I've come to terms with personally preferring mechanical at the end of the day, but of course there's nothing wrong with quartz. Buy whatever you like, I say!

It is kind of neat how sometimes a strap change can change the way you feel about a watch. I was close to getting rid of my Tisell Bauhaus(Nomos Tangente homage) but after getting a new Eulit perlon strap for it I like it a lot more now. Gotta have at least one white/cream faced watch, right?

IMG_20180320_111529.jpg

^Can't afford it, but do appreciate the slimmed down case for the new pepsi. For some reason it's actually not as difficult to source the "hot" releases out by me, or at least you don't have to get on a waiting list. AD's are more than willing to let you buy on the spot or notify you as soon as they come in, but maybe that's changed in the past 2 months. New power reserve is a bonus too!

I might've even considered the smaller black bay, but at this point I'd wait for more colorways since they're surely coming. Would've also loved the Tudor pepsi GMT in the smaller case size option, but give that one a few years too.

Now...just waiting for all the Seiko/GS reveals!

99% sure I'm going to sell my black bay now , I've been lusting after an Omega Seamaster 300 ( bond model ) for too long , im an Omega man at heart since getting my Railmaster a few years ago 

So if anyone is interested in a now discontinued Tudor Black Bay red ( ETA movement ) give me a pm 

8 hours ago, aho said:

^Can't afford it, but do appreciate the slimmed down case for the new pepsi. For some reason it's actually not as difficult to source the "hot" releases out by me, or at least you don't have to get on a waiting list. AD's are more than willing to let you buy on the spot or notify you as soon as they come in, but maybe that's changed in the past 2 months. New power reserve is a bonus too!

I might've even considered the smaller black bay, but at this point I'd wait for more colorways since they're surely coming. Would've also loved the Tudor pepsi GMT in the smaller case size option, but give that one a few years too.

Now...just waiting for all the Seiko/GS reveals!

I went to the GS boutique to get my bracelet adjusted and was treated with one of the new releases. I took pictures, but swore I would not post them until tomorrow. It's a real stunner, though. Perhaps even nicer than the Peacock IMO.

jHjC2ys.jpg

My watch finally fits!!

Edited by dudewuttheheck

^That GS gets me every time! Looking forward to D-Day tomorrow, the content today already has me overloaded :o

Practical stand out for me includes the smaller Black Bay, and the finishing on the new Omega Seamaster. Glad to see that prices are entirely reasonable this year

Edited by aho

13 hours ago, aho said:

Six inch wrist here checking in! :P

Are you a 6.0 inch? I’m a 6.1/8 and debating with myself if my wrist is to small for a SKX007. There are no ADs in my area so trying on before buying is a no. I want the 007 and plan on getting a super jubelie for it, maybe modding it down the line or buying a mod I fancy from the get go. I’m partial to applied indices so that might be the way to go. Either that or a SKX013.

The GS new releases are out: https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/special/baselworld2018/

I love the GS LE SPECIAL blue ceramic GMT, but it's out of my price range at $15k: https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-en/news/pressrelease/20180322-3/

I also like the other blue dialed GS LE in steel - $6.5k: https://www.grand-seiko.com/global-en/collections/SBGH267G/

I like the green LE Seiko 300MM, although it's still too big - $3.2k: https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/prospex/special/1968commemorativeedition/

GS killed it with the dial work this year, but I'm afraid I'm unlikely to drop $ on anything revealed so far from them. I know they still have the 9F's to trickle in throughout the year and whatever else they have up their sleeves ala Peacock etc, but I'm considering buying an older MM300 when I'm in Japan next month, or maybe even an SBGA229 down the line and calling it a day. Sometimes simple/streamlined is best?

My thoughts on Basel so far overall; I'd sum it up as subtle, controlled and calculated, with no real standout winners, but lots of win for everyone overall other than Basel itself. I think this is reflective of the overall industry still in recovery mode, and the decline of Basel in general, but I suspect brands will be taking more control of their releases as their engagement with the press and social media develops over time. Comparatively, last year was HUGE, and you really felt it. This year, it's much less so, and even journalists are beginning to withdraw or change their coverage strategies. I sort of miss that pomp and circumstance, but of course not every show can maintain or exceed levels of excitement. 

Standouts for me revisited:

Omega Seamaster: sooooooo much value packed into that classic familiar Bond look. Possibly best bang for buck diver in it's range right now (YES @Flash, do it!)

Tudor Fifty Eight: smaller size, enough said.

New Rolex Datejust 36: very much overlooked due to the Pepsi hype, but yes, Rolex redesigned the DJ and plopped in the calibre 3235! 

Boring choices perhaps, but I'm valuing practicality lately!

Edited by aho

The Omega Seamaster is a great everyday, biz casual watch. Its scalloped bezel is nearly impossible to rotate when wet but nowadays divers don't really need dive watches. I've had one for 10 years and I'm still not tired of it in any way. The new models do not disappoint.

I would have liked to see something new in the 600m Planet Ocan collection. There's a new black model but it's very much meh IMHO.

Edited by JDelage

yall feeling the new wave pattern on the dial of the Seamaster? It kinda looks like forehead wrinkles but I suppose it looks more subtle on the black and blue dials than the grey dials which is a little too in your face.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/2018-omega-seamaster-diver-300m/

btw which one is the Seamaster that @Flash wants to get?

Edited by goodrain