22 hours ago, fritzmey said:

Anyone here into Daniel Wellington watches? I suppose they are a bit overrated and overpriced for the quality of the watch.

F' DW and any fashion brand or kickstarter watches

19 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

I also recently joined watchuseek and ordered a Grand Seiko SBGT241. Quartz haters come at me!!! :D

Looking forward to pics. I'm really intrigued about how the bracelet and the dial will look "layered" and "on the wrist".

12 minutes ago, JDelage said:

Looking forward to pics. I'm really intrigued about how the bracelet and the dial will look "layered" and "on the wrist".

I'm expecting it to look good, but I will be getting a leather strap or two as well just because I generally prefer straps.

Wowwwww the SBGT241.....Extremely jealous! Would totally pick one up myself if...I had money lol But really it's such a great release on GS' part, and be proud to know you own a rare super adjusted 9F at the highest accuracies. My "standard" 9F has not lost a second since I bought it over 10 months ago. Insane to think, but its truly such an engineering feat in my opinion.

@ALB definitely visit Timeless Luxury watches in Frisco. Bought my GS' through them and got an excellent deal (20-30% off MSRP, depending on model, rarity etc)

4 minutes ago, aho said:

The crazy part is that I did not see that article and those photos until after I ordered my watch. You can imagine how excited I was to see how unbelievably good the watch face looks in those photos. It's incredible how much better they look in those shots than in the promotional ones. I am even more excited now! :D

Wow, not one second in ten months? That's epic. The 5 second version is tied for the most accurate movement in the entire world which is pretty cool. I know that mechanical watches are great, but I do love how in practical terms, the 9f is unbeatable. 

On 3/1/2018 at 9:00 AM, dudewuttheheck said:

I also recently joined watchuseek and ordered a Grand Seiko SBGT241. Quartz haters come at me!!! :D

Congrats on the watch, it looks great. The only turn off or me is, you guessed it, the quartz movement. Mechanical watches are just so much more interesting for me, just like the artisanal denim discussed here. But the main thing of course is that you're happy with the purchase, I'm pretty sure it won't be your last ;)

I'm also joining the GS train as I just placed order for the SGBH037. I got a $200 discount off the MSRP, and of course, an our later another dealer emailed me with a price lower by another $400... They must not have sold super well, or maybe dealers are just eager to get rid of their last units.

11 hours ago, mrman said:

Congrats on the watch, it looks great. The only turn off or me is, you guessed it, the quartz movement. Mechanical watches are just so much more interesting for me, just like the artisanal denim discussed here. But the main thing of course is that you're happy with the purchase, I'm pretty sure it won't be your last ;)

Fair play. I definitely am interested in mechanical movements as well, but I am way more excited about having a fully in house made quartz movement that is arguably the best quartz movement in the entire world than I would be about having a beautifully decorated ETA or ETA-based movement in another watch. In fact, there were several watches that I was quite close to buying, but did not for this reason. I can understand why people don't like quartz and certainly interests me in the same way that artisan denim, leather, and boots do because it was made to be the very best it can possibly be.

And yes, I know it won't be my last. I am already looking at Hi beats and spring drives.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

2 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Fair play. I definitely am interested in mechanical movements as well, but I am way more excited about having a fully in house made quartz movement that is arguably the best quartz movement in the entire world than I would be about having a beautifully decorated ETA or ETA-based movement in another watch. In fact, there were several watches that I was quite close to buying, but did not for this reason. I can understand why people don't like quartz and certainly interests me in the same way that artisan denim, leather, and boots do because it was made to be the very best it can possibly be.

And yes, I know it won't be my last. I am already looking at Hi beats and spring drives.

Yeah, a GS quartz is a whole different ballgame. Would love to add a 9F to my collection at some point, and agree that I would do so over an ETA 

On 2/27/2018 at 4:08 PM, goodrain said:

my Nomos Club came in. Should make for a good office watch for me.

IMG_20180227_160823 (1).jpg

two tuned lume

IMG_20180227_123422.jpg

Beautiful watch. I’m really into German watches and have been considering a Nomos lately. What was your rational on getting the Club vs. the more common Tangente or Metro?

@CAL415 Thanks!

I got the Club because I thought it could both be dressy and casual whereas most of the other Nomos lean more towards dressy to me. I also like watches with lume.

Definitely wouldn't mind getting a white faced metro or minimatik as a pure dress watch, though! I love how thin they are.

4 minutes ago, goodrain said:

@CAL415 Thanks!

I got the Club because I thought it could both be dressy and casual whereas most of the other Nomos lean more towards dressy to me. I also like watches with lume.

Definitely wouldn't mind getting a white faced metro or minimatik as a pure dress watch, though! I love how thin they are.

The Club is my favorite Nomos model as well and for the same reason- it's more casual than their other models. A fantastic watch!

On 3/2/2018 at 5:43 PM, dudewuttheheck said:

Dang I’m excited for you. I agree with you on that line of thinking. That watch looks awesome. 

1 hour ago, youngofthesoonest said:

Dang I’m excited for you. I agree with you on that line of thinking. That watch looks awesome. 

Thanks! I can hardly contain myself and will make sure to post a ton of pictures when I get it :)

Are you still looking to get a flieger like you said before? I love that design and nearly went for a Stowa myself.

If anyone’s interested in fliegers and values that they come as close to originals you should  look at no other than Laco. They were among the original 4 makers and thus know their stuff, eg. they have the only makes with the correct lug angle. But if these kinds of details are not important then others offer great fliegers, too.

1 hour ago, mrman said:

If anyone’s interested in fliegers and values that they come as close to originals you should  look at no other than Laco. They were among the original 4 makers and thus know their stuff, eg. they have the only makes with the correct lug angle. But if these kinds of details are not important then others offer great fliegers, too.

Well... Stowa and IWC were two of the other 5 original makers (there were 5: Laco, Wempe, Stowa, IWC, A. Lange & Sohne) and they also still make fliegers. However, I do get what you are saying about the lugs on the Laco. They definitely look the most vintage of the modern fleigers and I like that.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

Yup, forgot about IWC as they are / were not German but Swiss. Many makers have now ’fliegers’ that have little in common with the originals, possibly the crown and the arrowhead at 12 o’clock. Modern IWC fliegers, Spitfires and Big Pilots, great watches that they are, are examples of this. The same applies to others that offer chronographs and dates, the Spartan watch face that fliegers are famous for become cluttered with this and that. Not for me, thanks! But if you value these functions there are plenty of valid options out there.

4 minutes ago, mrman said:

Yup, forgot about IWC as they are / were not German but Swiss. Many makers have now ’fliegers’ that have little in common with the originals, possibly the crown and the arrowhead at 12 o’clock. Modern IWC fliegers, Spitfires and Big Pilots, great watches that they are, are examples of this. The same applies to others that offer chronographs and dates, the Spartan watch face that fliegers are famous for become cluttered with this and that. Not for me, thanks! But if you value these functions there are plenty of valid options out there.

I agree with this. I personally do not like IWC's modern flieger at all. The two I like the most are Stowa and Laco as they look the most classic and both brands are original manufacturers of the style. 

13 hours ago, mpukas said:

Now I've got an itch for a bronze pilot watch, type A. Great... 

Saarbrücken Bronze

Pick up the Laco. When the bronze gains patina Laco’s watch face will match it beautifully, where as the other one looking still brand new might look out of place

Edited by mrman

4 minutes ago, JDelage said:

Did you order it from Japan? It's taking its sweet time...  

Yes I did. It saved me quite a lot of money while still being able to go through an AD. 

It was a pre-order, though. It's supposed to be released sometime this month, but I don't know exactly when.