18 hours ago, mpukas said:

But, let me be the one that picks on you ;) - why do you "need" a dive watch that slides gracefully under a sleeve? Is it that you just like dive watches, and want one that's easy to wear daily? 

... the rotating bezel is a cool feature, and for sure they generally look great. But they are designed for a very specific purpose and there aren't many other circumstances where such features and robustness are warranted.

Those are fair points. The answer of course is that I need a watch that will glide reasonably easily under a long sleeve shirt. I don't need a true dive watches because they are not needed in modern diving. The Omega Seamaster is a decent compromise, although it's a lot better for desk diving than real diving.

5 hours ago, louisbosco said:

i'm not surprised if they drop the white gold.

WG for a watch like this is useless. it's quite a soft metal and has a premium price. a 'daily' kinda watch like a gmt should have SS to be able to handle the brutality. it's a nice watch but there's no way i'd get it in white gold. only sort of WG watches i'd probably consider are stuff that are going to be worn lesser and maybe a little dressier. 

my previous wedding ring, a cartier was white gold, you should see the amount of fine scratches on it..

I’m certainly not going to argue that it should have been in WG, but in fairness, Rolex makes all their gold in their own foundry, and the WG mixture includes platinum so it isn’t as soft as “normal” WG. If I had the cash I’d have no qualms wearing a Smurf or BLRO as a daily.  Not to say it won’t still get scratches. Even my SS watches and platinum wedding ring are all scratched to hell. 

On 2/17/2018 at 9:47 PM, JDelage said:

I need a good dive watch that will slide gracefully under a shirt sleeve. The Omega Seamaster is great for that but the rotating bezel sucks. The Damasko Dsub1 and the Dievas Maya Kk2 are two superbly over engineered German dive watches, but they have the typical "cliff" profile that makes them PITAs under a shirt sleeve...

Not sure what budget you’re looking at, but a 14060 is pretty thin by today’s dive watch standards. 

On the other end of the spectrum, the Orient Mako is a great watch for the price  

My budget is probably sub $5,000. I like the Subs as much as the next guy, and I'm in lust with the Rolex Hulk, but that will have to wait.

Right now I'm looking at the Sinn T1 or maybe taking a risk on the Orion Calamity preorder. I might just decide that I'll do my desk diving with the Omega, and real diving with a watch I can't fit under a shirt's long sleeve...

^I'm the biggest Seiko fan, no doubt about it, but hands down the best dive watch is going to be the Sub. Nothing wrong with Sinn or Omega, or Seiko, etc. of course, but one has to admit there's nothing like the iconic sub, it just has that look, because it is that look. It will also fit under a cuff because it's the perfect size (even if maxi). 14060/14060M may be your best compromise if you don't mind stretching a little over $5k. Otherwise it might be better to buy a more all around sports watch like the Aqua Terra in my opinion.

On 2/21/2018 at 4:20 AM, JDelage said:

My budget is probably sub $5,000. I like the Subs as much as the next guy, and I'm in lust with the Rolex Hulk, but that will have to wait.

Right now I'm looking at the Sinn T1 or maybe taking a risk on the Orion Calamity preorder. I might just decide that I'll do my desk diving with the Omega, and real diving with a watch I can't fit under a shirt's long sleeve...

How about this Panerai, 38mm and a bit slimmer also: http://www.panerai.com/en/collections/watch-collection/luminor-due/luminor-due-3-days-automatic-acciaio---38mm_pam00903.html

^It's said you never really hear of anyone who "used to be a watch guy".....B)

Re: Luminor Due, the 3 bar "water resistance" is a bit of a sham if looking for a true diver! Always liked the look and size of them though

Edited by aho

13 hours ago, aho said:

Re: Luminor Due, the 3 bar "water resistance" is a bit of a sham if looking for a true diver! Always liked the look and size of them though

Panerai has really botched the job on this one, didn’t realize they had something under 300m water resistance

15 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

New Longines Heritage Diver.

Fantastic! great to see it in a real-world photo. I love the different coloured hands and the angled bezel (I guess so it can be unscrewed?). I hope you're very happy with it :-)

14 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

here’s its predecessor.

Lovely too. I have a soft spot for these, in the same compartment of my brain that I'd put G Shocks. Love the patina on the dial. It'll be really interesting to see how these are seen in 30 years or so, when they're as old as 50s/60s watches are now

They are nice and simple. I have an Air King for the same reason but wanted a little smaller face. That's the only reason you haven't sold me a timepiece yet! 

Edited by satchelbmoore

Oddly got bitten by the watch bug.

Been looking at the Glashutte Original senators observer and the Grand Seiko SBGW253 or SBGR261. Both brands seem to be well regarded but the former is probably gonna be gotten used while the latter new unless I can find them cheaper elsewhere. 

I like how the Glashuttes look but curious to know if the brand is overblown and only commands a high price due to marketing and hype. They seem good from what I've read but I wanna ask you watch aficionados.

Edited by ALB

1 hour ago, ALB said:

Oddly got bitten by the watch bug.

Been looking at the Glashutte Original senators observer and the Grand Seiko SBGW253 or SBGR261. Both brands seem to be well regarded but the former is probably gonna be gotten used while the latter new unless I can find them cheaper elsewhere. 

I like how the Glashuttes look but curious to know if the brand is overblown and only commands a high price due to marketing and hype. They seem good from what I've read but I wanna ask you watch aficionados.

@ALB where are you based? I'd say all are extremely classy watches (particularly the GO Senator Observer) but at that price point you really want to try them on in person before taking the plunge. Personally if I'm going GS on strap I'd choose an SBGJ217/SBGJ219 or SBGM221. While the 253 is an incredible watch, I've personally never been a big fan on modern re-creations. The GMT's I mentioned are more contemporary and unique to modern GS design, which is a bonus in my book. For the SBGR261, I prefer the old dial in this style (SBGR061) as it's more balanced, but the cream dial is very nice and milky in person. Honestly you can't go wrong with any of the above so it has to come down to personal preference on wrist. The Senator will likely wear the largest, but keep in mind GS are also thick, even if under 5mm smaller case diameter wise.

@aho Straight outta near Dallas. Think there's one somewhere in North Texas for Grand Seiko but no dice on GO from my searches. Edit: Found one for GO!

Was looking at the SBGJ217 and 219 but found the $6500 price tag outta my range at the moment. It should be noted that the Senate Observer I'm looking at are in the $4-5K range and are the older types which fits into my bracket of 38-40 mm needed for my wrist. 

Edited by ALB

I always said that I would never be a watch guy. I always said I didn't get it and that they were just ego boosts for dudes. I always believed my left wrist would remain bare for my entire life.

I also recently joined watchuseek and ordered a Grand Seiko SBGT241. Quartz haters come at me!!! :D

11 hours ago, rodeo bill said:

is that the new Air King with the 5 minute markers? Photos please!

It's an '86. I do like that new dial. I'm set for a long time. It's on as long as I'm not in the shower or playing soccer.

IMG_8623.thumb.jpg.32cf37eba4cf3b6b0d65b5ec7dece681.jpg