56 minutes ago, goodrain said:

would look good on leather too

I was thinking the same thing. I don't have good luck with the way traditional leather/cloth bands fit my wrist, but I may try one of these "button stud" bands at some point.

Here's my SNZG11J1 (MIJ, blue face - indigo - get it? :P). Dassari leather strap f/ Amazon. It's a stitched two-layer strap, as opposed to a single layer. MUCH better than the original canvas strap. I also upgraded the stock spring bars to Seiko 2.2mm dive bars. They fit perfectly into the leather band. Much beefier than original and gives me a lot more piece of mind. 

I also purchased a button stud strap, just to try because I've used one before. The minimal aesthetic is pretty cool. It takes some getting used putting it one and taking it off. I'm just a little bit leery about the security of the button closure. I like the idea of single piece/single pass straps - other than NATO/Zulu straps - for security. If one spring bar fails, the watch and strap will still be on the wrist. But having the strap pass behind the watch, they have to be thin by nature, makes it stand out a bit more and actually doesn't feel quite as snug against my wrist. Ultimately I prefer a thicker strap. 20180206_093030.thumb.jpg.e87a9956640aeb09a94cf1574d7cc87a.jpg20180206_093126.thumb.jpg.de5a78d31584220e55e5474a4e9f1854.jpg20180206_093101.thumb.jpg.15a741f52976a58a620efb942164b55c.jpg20180206_093047.thumb.jpg.e4e7e237e307b37c1cf7d70a70ae188a.jpg20180206_093109.thumb.jpg.5dce32da4cc42c6d22e3e421ff396cdf.jpg

Well, I found a nice Grand Seiko SBGH035 on a French-language forum but the dealer and I couldn't agree on payment modalities. I wanted PayPal, he wanted wire, I offered 50/50, he said no. There will be other watches I guess, but the 035 is ... special...

SBGH035 would've been killer but congrats on the Oris! Might be best to wait till after Basel to see if any of the new models pique your interest, GS wise...Who knows if they'll release something outside of what already leaked. VFA would be amazing if I could afford one (the one leak I'm most looking forward to seeing in the metal). I've completely moved away from divers the past two weeks and am having some sort of identity crisis lol

Just got this 40mm. Thinking of buying a darker leather strap and using the suede tan for more casual vibes.

Edit: Added a couple more pics. This is one of the newer models with the Hamilton modded movement. 80 hour power reserve, but the trade off is a lower bph and apparently only Hamilton can service this movement because there is no more manual adjustment

IMG_2687.PNG

IMG_2688.PNG

IMG_2689.PNG

Edited by SuperJackle
pics added

I need a good dive watch that will slide gracefully under a shirt sleeve. The Omega Seamaster is great for that but the rotating bezel sucks. The Damasko Dsub1 and the Dievas Maya Kk2 are two superbly over engineered German dive watches, but they have the typical "cliff" profile that makes them PITAs under a shirt sleeve...

14 hours ago, aho said:

https://monochrome-watches.com/rolex-baselworld-2018-predictions-rolex-new-watches-2018/

Love this time of year for the Basel predictions....Monochrome does great mockups though they're never really right in their predictions, but DAMN I'd be first to drop on a slimmed down Sub (non-Maxi), or that Polar Explorer I....

Lots of talk about the WG BLRO being discontinued as well. If they bring back the SS Pepsi in a slimmed case...oh man...

On 2/17/2018 at 8:47 PM, JDelage said:

I need a good dive watch that will slide gracefully under a shirt sleeve. The Omega Seamaster is great for that but the rotating bezel sucks. The Damasko Dsub1 and the Dievas Maya Kk2 are two superbly over engineered German dive watches, but they have the typical "cliff" profile that makes them PITAs under a shirt sleeve...

Maybe that Seiko SBDC053 that @ahoposted earlier? But depending on your budget there's bound to be one. Not knowing too many watches, I'd have suggested the Seamaster 300m. 

But, let me be the one that picks on you ;) - why do you "need" a dive watch that slides gracefully under a sleeve? Is it that you just like dive watches, and want one that's easy to wear daily? 

In all seriousness, dive watches have peaked my interest in why they are so popular for casual wear. They're chunky by nature, and I think part of the appeal is balancing utility with aesthetics. I get that there's a lot of heritage, the rotating bezel is a cool feature, and for sure they generally look great. But they are designed for a very specific purpose and there aren't many other circumstances where such features and robustness are warranted. I plan to get a diver at some point, (don't know which one yet), and one of the main reasons is the extra water resistance. I don't dive, I fly fish a lot and I'd like a watch that I know I don't have to worry about getting submerged. 

29 minutes ago, mpukas said:

In all seriousness, dive watches have peaked my interest in why they are so popular for casual wear. They're chunky by nature, and I think part of the appeal is balancing utility with aesthetics. I get that there's a lot of heritage, the rotating bezel is a cool feature, and for sure they generally look great. But they are designed for a very specific purpose and there aren't many other circumstances where such features and robustness are warranted. I plan to get a diver at some point, (don't know which one yet), and one of the main reasons is the extra water resistance. I don't dive, I fly fish a lot and I'd like a watch that I know I don't have to worry about getting submerged. 

That is the reasoning that lead me to going with the SRP779. The balance of utility and aesthetics as well as the robustness.

7 hours ago, Bbressler said:

Lots of talk about the WG BLRO being discontinued as well. If they bring back the SS Pepsi in a slimmed case...oh man...

Coke over pepsi! But only because they have to release it given the pepsi in WG

As far as divers, I hate to say it but I've been moving away from them as well given my 6 inch wrist. They should be big and legible by toolish design, but I think as long as I have 100m WR on my daily watch (screw down crown preferred), I'll be good enough, though I do submerge my watches pretty often enough in water. Lots of cool things coming up for Basel, it's going to be a long wait

i'm not surprised if they drop the white gold.

WG for a watch like this is useless. it's quite a soft metal and has a premium price. a 'daily' kinda watch like a gmt should have SS to be able to handle the brutality. it's a nice watch but there's no way i'd get it in white gold. only sort of WG watches i'd probably consider are stuff that are going to be worn lesser and maybe a little dressier. 

my previous wedding ring, a cartier was white gold, you should see the amount of fine scratches on it..