@Wei Wen thanks man. a wise man (my godmother and cousin), who's in the watch industry, once taught me "if you wanna get a watch, only ever get rolex or patek. they're sure to appreciate in value and hold it's value no matter what the situation is."

although from my POV, i'd much rather have the AP. love the royal oak's shape. nothing too fancy though, maybe the basic auto or even the chrono..

I just picked up a Seiko 5 Sports SNZG11J1 MiJ for my daily beater. Dark Blue face. Everyman's Automatic. I spent the extra $15 +/- to get the MiJ version over the Maylasian version. From what I've read it prolly makes no difference at all. Great watch. (I can't upload a pic directly from phone tho...) 

I'll upgrade the stock nylon strap to a nicer leather strap, just not sure which one yet. I've ordered a couple mid price straps that get good reviews but they are all just thin cheap leather bonded to some sort of thicker backer that seems like junk. I'm looking into a couple of leather crafters who make straps with full grain leather. 

I'd also like to upgrade the crystal to AR domed sapphire at some point. 

Not being much of a watch guy, I know less about watches than I do about raw denim (specific models, movements). But I find watches fascinating, and I'm loving this thread and the watches fellas are posting here. In general watches are way too busy for my taste (not the ones here). I prefer minimalist style. The SNZG has about 90% of what I want out of a watch without being too expensive. Compared to a Timex it's a little more but I think you get a lot more for the $. I have an Expedition model and its pretty cheaply made, but it tells the time. 

The discount must be the difference because otherwise the GS divers MSRP is right there with the basic sub. I'm sure the quality is there; I just wasn't aware the brand was doing so well. In fact I'm looking at several Seiko options for a diver including SBDC047 and 051 (or 53, depending), but I'm not sure they compare favorably to smaller brands when looking at the specs as listed. I wish I could hold all those watches in my hand.

On 1/12/2018 at 6:00 AM, louisbosco said:

@Wei Wen thanks man. a wise man (my godmother and cousin), who's in the watch industry, once taught me "if you wanna get a watch, only ever get rolex or patek. they're sure to appreciate in value and hold it's value no matter what the situation is."

although from my POV, i'd much rather have the AP. love the royal oak's shape. nothing too fancy though, maybe the basic auto or even the chrono..

i was always on the fence about this.  I primarily would buy and wear watches that appeal to me in terms of style and design over investment.  Honestly, Rolex and most Patek designs are just plain boring in my opinion but they can get away with it because they are Rolex and Patek!  That said, this old French watchmaker I used to work with put it very simply.  If you get kidnapped in the Congo, a Rolex could secure your freedom.

The Royal Oak was always one of my favorite designs also.

Edited by garden gnomes in space

13 hours ago, garden gnomes in space said:

i was always on the fence about this.  I primarily would buy and wear watches that appeal to me in terms of style and design over investment.  Honestly, Rolex and most Patek designs are just plain boring in my opinion but they can get away with it because they are Rolex and Patek!  That said, this old French watchmaker I used to work with put it very simply.  If you get kidnapped in the Congo, a Rolex could secure your freedom.

The Royal Oak was always one of my favorite designs also.

Yes. I’d agree that style and design has to take precedent. Although, I wouldn’t go for something really fancy like MB&F and the sorts. Rolex to me is pretty functional, although I can’t agree with them using white gold on their gmt. With Patel though, I can’t say their designs are boring and plain, especially with the amount of complications in terms of their movements. I do almost tend to go with my heart first on the watches I like rather than it’s value potential.

with that said, an expert in Rolex once told me when I asked him, “given today’s Rolex watch prices, how can you be sure that a Rolex will appreciate?” 

What he said was, “back in those days, the few hundred or thousands of dollar people spend on watches were considered huge in those times, they’d wouldn’t be too sure the value would appreciate but it did.”

morale of the story, only if you plan on buying based on investment value, that is not to be put off by today’s retail prices..

Edited by louisbosco

^louisbosco I agree - buy what you love. That way you at least have a watch you want.

Buying for investment is speculation like in any other market - no one can truly predict what will happen. E.g. when 3D printers come in and make perfect replicas - who knows how the market will react? The Rolexes that have increased the most in value we’re typically the least popular ones of their time. That constrained supply and once demand picked up - prices shot up as well. By that logic you should buy the least popular Rolex now - who wants to do that?

On a different note - today I’m wearing another military issued watch. This time a Hamilton. Hope you’re all having a nice weekend..

8A33F875-AFFB-41E2-96E5-34935B468968.jpeg

You guys are inspiring me to get an automatic! One thing I've always wondered though, does it hurt the watch if I don't wear it all the time and it stops? I always remember my mom yelling at my dad about her watch stopping again, and jesus can't you make it not happen?? It always seemed like excessive drama.

45 minutes ago, justintk said:

does it hurt the watch if I don't wear it all the time and it stops?

Good on ya! Id start with I cheap one to see if you like it. To answer your question; no, it won’t hurt the watch. In fact it should, theoretically, make the watch last longer until you need to have it looked over by a professional. This due to when it doesn’t move there is no friction on all the moving parts, something you won’t get on a quartz.