@Maynard Friedman I don’t always like their designs but their recent stuff has been really nice. They’re also one of the few remaining independent brands (of the bigger companies), which is nice. Generally they’re good value for money as well but I’d never pay retail for them. They loose a fair bit of value - so better off second hand or grey market.

Thanks, I’ve never taken any notice of them before but this 70s design really appeals to me and I haven’t seen anything comparable in a contemporary model (although that doesn’t mean they’re not available as I don’t take a huge interest in watches in general).

9 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Thanks, I’ve never taken any notice of them before but this 70s design really appeals to me and I haven’t seen anything comparable in a contemporary model (although that doesn’t mean they’re not available as I don’t take a huge interest in watches in general).

Have you seen tudor’s Heritage chrono? I really like these just wish they were (much) smaller.

9D4175DF-CDB2-47B9-AF7F-968E981A3A24.jpeg

Re: Oris, love them, would probably be wearing one if I wasn't a Seiko head (or Sinn for that matter). They occupy that $1-4K tool range well with unique design, heritage and have a strong fan base as well, particularly with the 65 divers. They're making big moves and certainly that Chronoris was one of the top releases for me at Basel last year

I really liked the idea of Tudors heritage collection (Flash's Black Bay is sick). Vintage style with no crown guards. I remember a few years ago giving careful consideration into owning a Rolex 6536 (couldnt afford 6538) but in the end just couldnt justify it. Also loving those 1680 red subs. MOAR!

Hooowee! Watch arrived (Grand Seiko SBGR053), need to get it resized unfortunately but good excuse to drop by an AD next week. Wears well at 37mm which works out as I always wanted a Black Bay 36; Finishing is better on the GS easy, and it feels lighter and easier to wear. It's actually much smaller than I was expecting (particularly in the details, it's insane how small the ridges on the indices are, the decoration on the movement, etc.) and makes me want to buy a good macro lens for watch photography now LOL. My only gripe is the lack of screw down crown, but it's still 100m rated, and I think would look great on a strap. In fact, this instagram user has already done what I'm thinking:

...And with that; No more new watches 2018! :P

^love the shape of that case William B)

All this talk of 70s nudged me to wear this guy today (along with some thick guernsey wool):

edit: now with uploaded picture - I may unintentionally have raised expectation a bit too high. Feeling the pressure...:o

82D3D52C-7B7D-44C4-852C-D7EF3B3820FC.jpeg

25FA6229-2AD0-40AA-AF4C-887922594AF1.jpeg

Edited by Nei.Nor

4 hours ago, TheIntelligentHoodwinker said:

Anyone here have anything they like wearing as a cheap day-to-day beater? I had one of those Timex military replica ones that was about £40/£50 - wore it when I was cycling to work and whatnot - but I lost it. 

I wear a timex x redwing and the seiko skx007j as my daily wears. I wear Raymond Weil for smarter occasions 

@JDelage lovely colour on that dial. Do you know if the case has some ‘anti pantina’ finish on it or will it age?

Today I’m wearing another military piece. Lemania mono pusher. This particular one was issued to the fleet air arm in the 60s.

4441F534-F524-45CE-9FEA-E50CD1B53B6C.jpeg

Edited by Nei.Nor

7 hours ago, TheIntelligentHoodwinker said:

Ahhh - that Timex is just the kind of thing I'm after. And it's in the END sale...

That's the smaller one, mines the one size up. 45mm I think. 

End has some really nice timex. I like this one on a horween strap at a good price

https://www.endclothing.com/gb/timex-x-horween-easy-reader-40th-anniversary-special-tw2r35900.html

And the navi are also  nice

https://www.endclothing.com/gb/end-x-timex-navi-ocean-watch-tw2r78500qn.html

https://www.endclothing.com/gb/timex-archive-navi-ocean-watch-abt153.html

4 hours ago, JDelage said:

Seikos seem to have quite the following. I am astounded to see the top of the line GS dive watches flirting with with Rolex prices.

They're still relatively "less expensive" than their competing Rolex models by a few thousand, and good discounts can be had off MSRP as GS is still trying to make way in western markets (think 20, even 30% off if you're lucky), having only been made available internationally in the past few years. That said, Seiko over all have a rabid fanbase because their fully integrated business model in a formerly isolated island country forced them to manufacture watches at all levels and for all people in Japan, from entry level, all the way to the top haute horology (in Credor), often providing a bang for buck in doing so, all while providing that touch of Japanese obsessiveness in quality/attention to detail that we love in our Japanese denim. Unfortunately for them, they kept the good stuff in Japan mostly, and pushed their lower end quartz models overseas for decades since the 80's/90's (they were also the first to introduce quartz to the market en masse). As the Swiss turned to the luxury market in order to survive the quartz crisis, Seiko became a "cheap watch you get at the mall" in the west, even as the Japanese enjoyed quality product lines using Seiko watches as everything from everyday tools, to luxury. But they were still making good watches all along, and small passionate groups internationally came to notice; from modders, to dive enthusiasts, to those looking for something "different" outside the confines of Swiss manufacturing.

The passion comes from understanding the value, the reliability and quality, and the history and heritage of the brand, while the rest of the watch world seemingly looks down on it as "cheap quartz mall watches", or "just a Seiko". Perhaps I've already exposed myself as such a rabid fanboy, but honestly, just try holding a GS in person and you might catch the bug as well!