The Sneakers we wear with our jeans

Flash

13 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Indeed, the Oxford is a nice Vans Authentic style and they also have a slip-on style 

Hi, Do you wear the same size in the Doek Oxfords as you do in Vans? 

AFAIK Doek and Shoes Like Pottery and pretty much any other ‘Made in Kurume’ vulcanised sneaker is made in the Moonstar factory and they all use the same ‘lasts’ with only the upper fabric varying according to the requirements of the particular label

Edited by Duke Mantee

These are not sustainable (obviously) but I recently noticed that classic Chucks (only white and black) are now available in wide. I got a pair recently and I can actually wear them without having to buy 2 sizes too big or have my foot squeezed. Still the same insole though.

Are all versions of Chucks so narrow? I got a pair of USA made Chucks from 2000 (I think) and they feel more narrow than my equivalent Chuck "copies" from Japanese brands and much more narrow than my PF Flyers. I'm wondering if the modern Chucks and 70s are the same way.

20 minutes ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Are all versions of Chucks so narrow? I got a pair of USA made Chucks from 2000 (I think) and they feel more narrow than my equivalent Chuck "copies" from Japanese brands and much more narrow than my PF Flyers. I'm wondering if the modern Chucks and 70s are the same way.

Modern chucks are def narrow. 70s are wider BUT it does get pretty narrow at the toes so it actually hurts my pinky toe. I end up not sizing down a half size like most people recommend but even then it still rubs. I wish i could make them work. 

2 minutes ago, youngofthesoonest said:

Modern chucks are def narrow. 70s are wider BUT it does get pretty narrow at the toes so it actually hurts my pinky toe. I end up not sizing down a half size like most people recommend but even then it still rubs. I wish i could make them work. 

Yeah I sized down by a half and now I think I should have just gone TTS. If I get 70s, that's probably what I'll do.

For my 70s, I put in a slightly larger shoe tree for some time and they fit much better now without hurting my pinky toe. Even so, it could be because I broke them in more but that's the story I tell myself.

21 minutes ago, Geeman said:

70's low I go half size up from my normal chucks size, 70's high I go up 1, no issues. 

Funny as the converse site says do the complete opposite, 

That's good to know. Makes me more confused why so many people use Converse as a sizing comparison. 

TTS here for 70’s lows, yes the insole is a half size bigger but that accommodates the small toe box and with the cap toe and high foxing tape, all that rubber would slaughter my toes if I sized down slightly.

With Vans Authentic 44’s I have to go up a half size.

PRAS/Doek/SLP/PF are all a half size bigger so I take my usual size 27cm / 8uk

9 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

That's good to know. Makes me more confused why so many people use Converse as a sizing comparison. 

Probably had to 6-8 pairs and his has applied to all so is a good rule of thumb

Pretty much only wear boots these days, but if I grab sneakers I have a pair of Vans Old Skool or my trusty dad shoes New Balance 990v4 

11 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

...I only wore them for a couple of days and the midsoles crumbled, seen here with LVC 555, Warp Records, FW-47's and Big hair

I included this subliminal message^

The FW-47's are from 2013 i posted them in the freewheelers thread

Ive never posted the LVC because i bought it 'vintage' so a lot of the evolution isn't on account of me (absolute zero strategy with that one :D) it's quite delicate nowadays so i only wear it once or twice/yr.

Ive just noticed that when i came back here in December the Freewheelers thread was on pg18 after 10yrs, i twisted @Duke Mantee arm to joing our band of merry men... 6months later and the thread is on pg44 B) gwan Duke!!!