The Sneakers we wear with our jeans

Flash

6 hours ago, dudewuttheheck said:

I'm definitely more of a boots guy, but I do have a few pairs of white sneakers (mostly high tops.)

My favorite pair is my MiJ PF Flyers. I got these a couple years ago and they were already fairly heavily used, but they still have plenty of life in them.

They have the most cushioning of all my sneakers and I love the green trim/accents.

AkiwLAH.jpg?1

81h5Xxv.jpg?1

Md9iaiC.jpg?1

zHJxaJN.jpg?1

Ejq4aLk.jpg?1

ddUuaty.jpg?1

a9GvD78.jpg?1

I have these as well Jake, in both the white and the black. Love them and you're right the cushioning is excellent. 

My sandlot are pretty comfy to

9 hours ago, Geeman said:

I have these as well Jake, in both the white and the black. Love them and you're right the cushioning is excellent. 

My sandlot are pretty comfy to

You have the Made in USA Sandlots? I have the off White USA Sandlots and they're pretty comfy too. They actually fit me the best of all my sneakers.

I'm jealous you got both versions of these MiJ ones. I would love to find a pair of the black ones some day.

8 minutes ago, Ar_thor said:

So, I pulled the trigger om a pair of Shoes Like Pottery on 20% off - thought it was a decent deal. Anyone have something nice or bad to say about them? They're not featured that much in this thread.

Shoes Like Pottery is Moonstar ... of which there’s been a bit of discussion here recently 

7 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Shoes Like Pottery is Moonstar ... of which there’s been a bit of discussion here recently 

I see, thanks for pointing that out as I hadn't realised this was the case. Should be good addition addition to my almost non existent sneaker collection then. :D

2 minutes ago, Ar_thor said:

I see, thanks for pointing that out as I hadn't realised this was the case. Should be good addition addition to my almost non existent sneaker collection then. :D

I’ve got the moonstar and they are very durable

(sorry about the accidental neg rep :blush2:)

3 hours ago, Ar_thor said:

So, I pulled the trigger om a pair of Shoes Like Pottery on 20% off - thought it was a decent deal. Anyone have something nice or bad to say about them? They're not featured that much in this thread.

They are superb. Got a pair going on 3 years now.

1 hour ago, MJF9 said:

‘UK Casuals’ inspires collection featuring the above, Kickers, boss trainees, Adidas shoes, diamond Pringles etc etc.

...following on from the MF thread, here's the rest of the article from Neal Heard's book, recollecting 70/80's Liverpool which you might like @MJF9 although anyone i know from Manchester who was into 'Adidas' back then will tell you that "the best places to get hold of adidas was Liverpool" is complete and utter bollocks :D but having never seen a fooball match in my life apart from the one with Stallone and Pele..i couldn't possibly comment

IMG_9393IMG_9393IMG_9393

IMG_9393IMG_9393IMG_9393

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Good shout OO. Will look that up. 

The best trainers were sourced from Europe and football trips abroad in the 80s were a massive influence. Manchester teams didn’t really know where Europe was in the 80s :P.

Wade Smith led the way in Liverpool for rare trainers. It was a tiny shop off Bold Street where we used to congregate at weekends as a kid to stare at the latest rare finds. Liverpool FC fans returned with the latest trainers and sportswear from their trips abroad (not my team) and Everton fans got some trips in 84/85 prior to us winning the European Cup Winners Cup but Heysel tragedy put a stop to further trips and trainer hunting abroad for a few years. 

Edited by MJF9
to convey light heartedness and accuracy!

@Double 0 Soul just read the pages you posted above and that man is correct. 

Whilst we knew no different as school kids, the 80s was a tough period up north (as well as nationally) economically (the Thatcher years). Whatever the conditions, however, there was a relentless quest for the right clothes.

We just owned fewer clothes (despite wanting more), but focussed on quality (function and style) and wore them hard and long (they had to last!). 

Modern day utilitarian dandy talk or what?

5 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

...following on from the MF thread, here's the rest of the article from Neal Heard's book, recollecting 70/80's Liverpool which you might like @MJF9 although anyone i know from Manchester who was into 'Adidas' back then will tell you that "the best places to get hold of adidas was Liverpool" is complete and utter bollocks :D

Ha, yes.. Nige would probably be one of them :D

Ive never been one for sport's so my styles have never been influenced by such, i remember there were some 'casuals' on our estate as a kid but they were a couple of years older than me, older bruvs of friends and so on, being a kid you always want to burn what came immediately before and to us the casuals looked like folks from a bygone era even though only a few years seperated us :wacko:...for me the 80's was BMX, skateboarding, graff, breakers and such, so Adidas, yes! but swayed by Wild Style rather than the terraces.

Looking back, the shit i was into was influenced by what came from over the pond in the years running up to..  at least the casual style was home grown, i probably didn't appreciate this for quite some time.

42 minutes ago, Broark said:

Anyone tried out Wakouwa deck shoes? Might proxy a pair once EMS service returns to normal.
Seems like they're based on an Alden last which is interesting.

Nope, but i quite like them even tho the lack of a reinforced heel seems to be the only thing seperating them from a pair of Vans

Yeah they seem very minimal (which I like) but there's some copy on the Anatomica page talking about the insoles moulding to the shape of you feet.
Hard to get details from Google translate.

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Anyone tried out Wakouwa deck shoes? Might proxy a pair once EMS service returns to normal.

I did not try a pair but I did handle a pair instore a year ago in Japan.

Don't have much confidence in the sole, looks very much like it will wear out really fast.

Secondly, it is not MiJ (not really important but I would rather get Moonstar or others at the same pricepoint)

Have you considered Doek? 

They make pretty sweet looking Oxford (they do make it in black but no contrast white stitch, its all black)

http://doek.jp/doek-oxford-black-gaba/

Edited by redragon
revised link

30 minutes ago, Broark said:

Yeah they seem very minimal (which I like) but there's some copy on the Anatomica page talking about the insoles moulding to the shape of you feet.
Hard to get details from Google translate.

I got these insoles from a friend years ago.. made in Germany, the dimples are designed to be under pressure points on the foot, in effect massaging ones feet as you walk.

IMG_1835

15 minutes ago, redragon said:

Have you considered Doek? 

Funny you mention them, I have a pair of the Oxfords in ecru and they are too narrow in the biggest size they offer. My pinky toe on my right foot feels a bit cramped. 
But I've just put them on for the first time in awhile and they're not as bad as I recall.
lStFtWG.jpg
CEwDAHr.jpg

Got my Shoes like pottery today - impressive shipping speed from The Bureau in Belfast.

They're very nice even though they're 'just' canvas sneakers. Feels very solid compared to standard Chuck's which will have to be my point of reference in this case. Should be good for the warmer months and they'll look even better when they get beat up a little I suspect.

IMG_20200511_120443_Bokeh.jpg

23 hours ago, Broark said:

We carried them at Liquor Store spring 2013. They were entirely unremarkable - on the foot and off. If I recall correctly, even with employee discount nobody bought a pair. For $60 sure, but at that price they're really not cutting the mustard.

Just now, Jared_Lee said:

We carried them at Liquor Store spring 2013. They were entirely unremarkable - on the foot and off. If I recall correctly, even with employee discount nobody bought a pair. For $60 sure, but at that price they're really not cutting the mustard.

Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for...
Maybe I'll try the Warehouse suede sneakers, just concerned with the sizing.