The Sneakers we wear with our jeans

Flash

I used to wear adidas kick to school we didn’t have a lot of money grew up in council accommodation wouldn’t been seen dead in gola or hi-etc of dunlops it was adidas and puma then Nike came first Nikes were Wimbledons I had a cheap pair of diadoras went on holiday to Majorca and there was a sports shop next door to the hotel went in there every day looking at the diadoras the borgs where expensive you couldn’t buy puma states in the uk first time I saw them was in duffer in 89 they managed to get a load of dead stock from the states and sold them in there shop in soho

‘Tis true.. Puma Suedes were imports, you could still get them tho.. I bought a pair from 20th Century Clothing in 88..

isn’t that how the lads from Hip in Leeds got started? One of them spotted a box of States in Debenhams, asked the assistant if they had anymore sizes? ..they said they had loads of boxes in the stockroom all DS which they’d had for years and never managed to shift.. obviously not a Debenhams customer vibe.. they made a deal with the manager to take the lot and it was their first introduction to clothing retail.

The Borgs are still expensive, they’re still made in Italy.. I was having a look last night and they’re £179 at some fashion shops.. but I also had a look around the pokey old tennis racket shops and they still have old (un-hyped) stock for £44 B)

..re Green Flash, I wouldn’t have worn them as a kid either but I would now, they do have a retro-coolness unlike Gola.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Funny, I often wore Adidas when I was a kid but nowadays I can't think of any Adidas style I really like (maybe except the Stan Smith) and also the 3 stripes look goofy (I only wore Adidas as an adult when I played football). But I haven't checked their offerings in a long time.

My kid has been wearing States/Suedes for 5yrs straight (i'm pretty sure they've all been documented here) those bred AJ1s he got for xmas are still minty fresh (he'll be growing out of them soon :angry2:) cos he always reaches for his Pumas..

I had a Adidas Campus and Superstars phase (or any style which leant itself to fat laces B)) i always liked the little toebox poking out of wide hems.. but i was never a massive fan either.. some of my friends wore Samba when i was a kid.. i fkin hated those things!

I'm still wearing the 'Adidas Tennis' to play tennis.. for a retro shoe they've been comfy as.. the leather is really supple

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Tennis shoes were big in the early 80s. I had adidas Wimbledon and Puma G Vilas back then. Get yourself some Forest Hills if your inner magpie can’t resist the glinting gold, these were the ultimate…

010F5397-CC53-47A1-BD5C-B3B8EEA5DA52.jpeg

Edited by Maynard Friedman

• 2 weeks later...

I hung on to a pair of Jordan 5 that I bought in Tokio in 2007. My boy his feet are big enough now to wear them.

He desperately wanted a pair of Jordan 1 , but at the speed his feet are growing and the price , we didn’t want to rake out the cash for it. Luckily he likes what I’ve got.

IMG_0338.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

2 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I really like the look of them! I just don't think they would look good in my wardrobe and jeans all the time :D 

Thanks! The fabric is really impressive in person. Kind of hard to capture with my phone camera. I totally understand what you mean. I wear them with jeans most of the time but because of the colors I think they only work with very specific shirt colors. 

On 6/3/2023 at 5:59 AM, Flash said:

Making the most of this Belfast sun , get the legs out for a bit of a tan ;)

20230603_113701

Me ... jordan ajko 

Jack ... jordan 1 shadow 

How do Jordan’s fit relative to other brands? I’ve been wanting to buy a pair but don’t know if I should buy my regular sneaker size or not 

Anyone have experience with US Rubber sneakers? I like their new deck shoe a lot, just curious if anyone has tried out their stuff.
My wife said "they just look like Vans...why don't you buy Vans?" And to be fair she's not wrong...^_^
_MG_0067__39515.1685726925.jpg?c=2
Also, @beautiful_FrEaK how are the Reproduction of Found GATs? Do they fit true to size?
I've been looking for the Panna color in size 12 / 46 but they seem hard to track down in that size.

@Broark As you know I went for the standard look and honestly that's a waste of money.
They do look nice but the stitching is not perfect, the leather on the tongue is already rubbing off in some places, the leather lining stains your socks...I should have bought the original BW shoe :D
Of course they are quite expensive: produced in the EU to be shipped to Japan to be shipped back to the EU.

In terms of sizing, I sized them same as I were sized by the Bundeswehr: 275 which translates to your footlength in mm and would also equal a EU43

Much appreciated b_F, sounds like I should skip out on the RoF. Their prices are a bit bonkers...
I admittedly know very little about the history of the GAT, is there a specific original German brand that I should be searching for instead?

You could look at Novesta, I think it's the same factory in Slovakia where RoF is produced but they are cheaper. Or you check military surplus stores.

In terms of history I can't tell you which factory/brand made the original ones in the first place but they are very similar to Adidas Samba so..