The Sneakers we wear with our jeans

Flash

On 4/3/2023 at 12:56 PM, oomslokop said:

warrior shoes! de rigeur in indonesian primary school in the 80s. theres even a teen novel written about them ("a pair of warriors for my bff"). re-released a few years ago, got myself a pair. even just lacing them up would unravel a stitching or two. :D

p.s. did yours come with the extra alterno red laces?

20180511_083421.jpg

Nice... warriors come out to playyy

Reminded me your cool pic Ooms inspired me to get that Tender pullover... and a fine buy it was too 

On 4/11/2023 at 4:20 AM, MJF9 said:

Nice... warriors come out to playyy

Reminded me your cool pic Ooms inspired me to get that Tender pullover... and a fine buy it was too 

it's my fave jumper. can we see pics of yours? (mine has minimal fading since there's rarely a reason to wear a jumper in jakarta, except to look spiffy)

I recently dug this pair out of my hoard of shame to be my spring/summer footwear of choice once the good weather eventually arrives. I saw the receipt in the box (from Superdenim.co.uk) and realised I bought them in 2015! :blush:

Anyway, Japanese made PF Flyers, hopefully they’ll be as robust as the black pair I had.

51FF290B-0323-447C-BEDE-E28302EF0610.jpeg

65713B41-82B6-4A05-B567-FFF3F3DE80A0.jpeg

995B2B05-DBDD-4922-9971-AF879F1DE1A4.jpeg

2410DBFC-D1BE-4C88-88A7-7311D23FB082.jpeg

I’ve been wearing those SC Okis you tipped me off about on eBay, with the remains of a red tab. That was back in 2015 too! They’re due for a repair soon so I’ll wash em and post photos once I change over to the summer jean rotation. How time flies…

5 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I recently dug this pair out of my hoard of shame to be my spring/summer footwear of choice once the good weather eventually arrives. I saw the receipt in the box (from Superdenim.co.uk) and realised I bought them in 2015! :blush:

Anyway, Japanese made PF Flyers, hopefully they’ll be as robust as the black pair I had.

51FF290B-0323-447C-BEDE-E28302EF0610.jpeg

65713B41-82B6-4A05-B567-FFF3F3DE80A0.jpeg

995B2B05-DBDD-4922-9971-AF879F1DE1A4.jpeg

2410DBFC-D1BE-4C88-88A7-7311D23FB082.jpeg

I bought these around the same time.  Black and the white ones.

The Black ones lasted really well still get some wear.

The white ones rubber cracked a bit even with hardly any wear. 

Still wearable but don't really wear them 

The sneakers I'll be wearing a lot with my jeans henceforth...

I consider myself fortunate that these beautiful - and well preserved - Buckweat were my size and, alas, had become too big for OO after his latent growth spurt

OO was a pleasure to acquire pumps from... so don't listen to Dave from Chesterfield...

Featuring Duck Bucks :biggrin:

IMG_9293.JPG

IMG_9294.JPG

20230422 Buckweat 1.JPG

17 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

The sneakers I'll be wearing a lot with my jeans henceforth...

I consider myself fortunate that these beautiful - and well preserved - Buckweat were my size and, alas, had become too big for OO after his latent growth spurt

OO was a pleasure to acquire pumps from... so don't listen to Dave from Chesterfield...

This is just littered with mistakes!.. he was called Paul not Dave!.. and they became too small after my middle-aged growth spurt :D

You've narrowly avoided detention because.. it was also a pleasure

Agreed^

Id put Gola on a similar par to Hi-Tec.. 

I always considered them the lowest common denominator/Windsor’s World of Shoes kinda vibe..

Don’t get me wrong.. I don’t think you need to spend big to get cool pumps.. Dunlop Green Flash for instance can be had for peanuts and have a much cooler vibe.. 

The dudes wearing Gola when I was at school weren’t necessarily poor kids who couldn’t afford Adidas or Nike they were just kids who didn’t give a shit about their footwear.. and not because they were too cool to care :D

Like many other boys of my generation and class, I had 2 pairs of Gola trainers in primary school in the late 1970s (the Jet and Aztec models I think), along with offerings from other contemporary British brands at the time - Power, Lightning and Mitre. I also had adidas and Puma, the latter being my favourites. I’ve not worn Gola (or any of those other 3 British brands mentioned) since. Gola weren’t considered especially bad by any means back then but they wouldn’t be on the top of your wish list either, they were functional enough for the rigours of playing football in the school playground and beyond and certainly had bragging rights over the dreaded black plimsoll.

I recall Gola having a bit of a revival in the 90s, possibly linked to the whole BritPop movement but I never took much interest. I think they may also have been favoured by a few Mods since.

I can understand the appeal of wearing a slightly obscure foreign brand as it probably has totally different connotations to people from other countries. It can have an air of selective, discerning taste and cool rather than all the memories associated with it by those who had no choice at the time. 

I still wouldn’t buy them though…

Edited by Maynard Friedman

4 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I do have a soft spot for gum soles. And since we have so many lads from the UK, what's your take on Gola?

EC25_7850_FA.jpg

Hey B_F just to say that l bought a pair of Gola  like yours back in 2002 in the brown and beige colourway. They looked a bit oldskool/retro (even though l never owned a pair back in school, l was more of an Adidas Kick man, l mean kid back then) and they looked good with old Levis. l wore them for going out, as opposed to cycling/general trashing and they lasted well. Lasted 8 years before they ended up being used for painting in (?)

Edited by Dr_Heech

How it tended to work for me when I was a school kid.. my folks would always fork out for new pumps when my old ones were hanging off my feet.. I never had to wear a school uniform so my pumps were worn all day, everyday... but my folks would only buy basic shit and if I wanted cooler shit I would have to put the extra money towards myself.. 

I used to get £.2.40/wk for wiping the pots after tea, I’ve had a Saturday job from the age of 13 which paid £8/wk and I had my sideline selling homebrew to alcoholics who hung out in the cricket pavilion.. so in effect if I wanted Puma States, Champion.. ect I would need to earn £20 to put towards the £20 my folks were willing to spend... 

There hasn't been much (if any?) talk of Diadora in this thread.. anyone ever had a pair?

I never have but i remember seeing a pair of the white/gold Borg Elite when i was around 6yrs old and my jaw hit the floor.. astounded at the gold, gold tennis shoes!

I don't think i'd ever seen gold on a pair of trainers before.. gold was cool af according to the 6yr old me :D

image.png.4f6725a35f21f434013a76450c064eb2.png

It will always remain in my mind as a key sneaker moment.. along with seeing the air bubble for the first time in a pair of AM1's or seeing the watch in a pair of Micropacers or the pump of a Reebok Pump or the Torsion bar of the Adidas Torsion..

Although amazed (some say easily) Micropacers, Torsion or Pumps were never my vibe, i couldn't afford them and even if i could, i would'av bought somethong else.. AM1's on the other hand i'd have given my right arm fo... a fk'it.. both my arms!

..anyway back to Diadora, those Borg's still look cool af!