The Sneakers we wear with our jeans

Flash

38 minutes ago, scooby said:

damn... I haven’t seen anyone rock fatty laces in so long. I remember throwing some fat laces on my adidas campus and feeling like a straight up boss

Aye, Campus were made for fat laces

;)

IMG_9585.JPG

fullsizeoutput_23f7.jpeg

...apples don't fall too far from the tree

fullsizeoutput_2737.jpeg

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Does anyone have sizing experience with Novesta? Specifically looking at the Star lows or highs. Somewhere I read they run big, and I’d rather not deal with the expense of an international size exchange.

I'm not sure about 'thugged out' it's a 'Wild Style' thing!

image.png.1a35ea65bb28c8311fc976070d88ef94.png

They were originally the Puma Suede, memories of the early 80's NY hip-hop scene, adopted by the mid 80's UK B-Boy scene (post Wild Style) and the laces became super exaggerated, peeps used to iron them flat, me included :blush:

Folks used to call them States, even though they were Suedes just because they came from the states, you couldn't buy them in 1980's England unless they were imported.

image.thumb.png.05e5d3c4056d0a17aec2a03116a8089e.png

Hijack 1987

image.thumb.png.8cb6804eb53b6a3a79bd2cfe0edad512.png

I remember my first pair of Puma - black suede with an orange suede trim and a gum sole, I’m sure they were called Tempo. Bought from Napper’s Sports in Hackney around 78/79 when I was in primary school. I’ve looked but can’t find any info on them.

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Bought from Napper’s Sports in Hackney around 78/79 when I was in primary school. I’ve looked but can’t find any info on them.

There’s not much info because they shut in 1988 - most of their customers were on tick, wasn’t a sustainable business and Puma are a hard nosed company. Think it’s a print shop now.

Very good Duke :laugh2:

Funnily enough, there’s more info available on Nappers Sports than on those trainers! The vintage Tempo that come up via internet searches are not the same as the ones I have. I know model names often change over time or for specific geographic markets, e.g. I had a pair of blue Puma Rocket in the early 80s that are the same as the vintage Fast Rider.

I remember my first pair of Puma - black suede with an orange suede trim and a gum sole, I’m sure they were called Tempo. Bought from Napper’s Sports in Hackney around 78/79 when I was in primary school. I’ve looked but can’t find any info on them.

Late 70's - early 80's Puma Tempo, Made in W.Germany

image.png.d3199b1ea6618804c78ab71b47c92b7a.png

I’ve seen those Neal and as I mentioned above, they don’t seem to be the same as the ones I had. My recall is basically of a pair of black/orange Puma Suede with a gum sole, one of my favourite pairs, although it was a long time ago so my memory could be failing me as the hard drive is becoming full!

43 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Very good Duke :laugh2:

Funnily enough, there’s more info available on Nappers Sports than on those trainers! The vintage Tempo that come up via internet searches are not the same as the ones I have. I know model names often change over time or for specific geographic markets, e.g. I had a pair of blue Puma Rocket in the early 80s that are the same as the vintage Fast Rider.

4A35F241-A046-43C4-9C61-E49EFAC514A1.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I’ve seen those Neal and as I mentioned above, they don’t seem to be the same as the ones I had. My recall is basically of a pair of black/orange Puma Suede with a gum sole, one of my favourite pairs, although it was a long time ago so my memory could be failing me as the hard drive is becoming full!

Maybe they were Suedes, they did a black/orange colourway for sure!

Bit more from the Puma archives.. they were originally called the 'Puma Crack' B)

https://about.puma.com/en/this-is-puma/archive-stories/history-of-suede

Trainers I remember wearing in primary school:

• Mitre Munich (black & white)
  • Gola Jet (black & white)
  • Gola Aztec (black & yellow)
  • Lightning Shadow (all black)
  • Power Tunis
  • adidas Kick
  • Black/orange suede Puma

22 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I'm not sure about 'thugged out' it's a 'Wild Style' thing!

image.png.1a35ea65bb28c8311fc976070d88ef94.png

They were originally the Puma Suede, memories of the early 80's NY hip-hop scene, adopted by the mid 80's UK B-Boy scene (post Wild Style) and the laces became super exaggerated, peeps used to iron them flat, me included :blush:

Folks used to call them States, even though they were Suedes just because they came from the states, you couldn't buy them in 1980's England unless they were imported.

image.thumb.png.05e5d3c4056d0a17aec2a03116a8089e.png

Hijack 1987

image.thumb.png.8cb6804eb53b6a3a79bd2cfe0edad512.png

I’m imagining fat laces on a pair of shoes like pottery now

6 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Trainers I remember wearing in primary school:

• Mitre Munich (black & white)
  • Gola Jet (black & white)
  • Gola Aztec (black & yellow)
  • Lightning Shadow (all black)
  • Power Tunis
  • adidas Kick
  • Black/orange suede Puma

+1 for Adidas Kick

Yes Geeman - Hi Tek Silver Shadow... remember bouncing out of the shop wearing them they felt so springy

• Adidas Bamba
  • Adidas ZX500
  • Adidas Dakar (brother of Corsica and Sardinia)

Never had the budget for Diadora Ivan Lendl!

Ha the old flappy sole problems

I recall the thick bumper on the toe of Bamba and Kick was not good for nifty football control.  However, once bought, there was no choice... I had to wear them until they fell apart or I outgrew them, whichever came first

Yes to Adidas ROM - you reminded me I had a pair, as a big kid this time though

Ah yes the legendary Scottish football :laugh:... I grew up thinking that Cowdenbeath-Nil was an actual place 

3 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Yes to Adidas ROM - you reminded me I had a pair, as a big kid this time though

Ah yes the legendary Scottish football :laugh:... I grew up thinking that Cowdenbeath-Nil was an actual place 

It actually is

“There’ll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight”!

Classic line - it provides me no end of pleasure to see intelligent folk prove themselves otherwise (and I’d include myself in that if I wasn’t already disqualified due to chronic witlessness)

On 5/24/2021 at 12:46 AM, rockon99 said:

Does anyone have sizing experience with Novesta? Specifically looking at the Star lows or highs. Somewhere I read they run big, and I’d rather not deal with the expense of an international size exchange.

I read they run big when ordered them and had to sell because they were too small. for me the correct size was the same size as my size with Converse chucks and Vans eras. weirdly enough when I ordered another pair I felt the first one was so small(they were 42)and I got a 44. which is half a size too big. But still a lot better than 1.5 size too small! haha.

Just make sure you can do returns and your good to go. Novesta don't ship directly to Israel so I orderd mine from a store in London and the return fees were so high I was better off just selling them(which took forever and went for like 50% of the original price so I wouldn't recommend it).