The Sneakers we wear with our jeans

Flash

Anyone bought a pair of US Rubber Company trainers ? Are they sized the same as converse/vans ? Just bought a pair of ther high tops and went with a size 8 , I'm usually a 7.5 in vans but they didn't have it in stock 

Edited by Flash

AM1's

Nike Windrunner, late 80's blue label version with the stitched logo, sadly not screen printed logo/early 80's version...

fullsizeoutput_2f32.jpeg

2002 Supreme's

Late 90's Supreme Box Logo, my old cat Gillespie used to sleep on that hoody, on the kitchen side above the boiler, when he died (aged 20+) i wrapped him up in it and burried him in the woods...in the bluebells... if the prices get any crazier, i might go dig it up :ph34r:

fullsizeoutput_2f40.jpeg

2004 Shanghai dunk

fullsizeoutput_2f45.jpeg

Edited by Double 0 Soul

3 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

They look great on you @Flash. As you know l've always been after a pair of military converse high repros but my feet now can't handle most shoes/boots.

Are they more substantial than the ones you got from McCoy's?

Definitely not mate , the McCoys were like tanks .... these are more a rover metro . There not a bad little shoe but lacking a fair bit when compared to the McCoys 

Thought the  khaki colour would be a little hard to wear and I hate having items of clothing that I feel I can only wear with certain things .... so I dyed them black 

20210511_173342

I'm wearing them with the 50's warehouse 25th , I'm not entirely used to the double cuff but I've hemmed the 46 to wear with no cuff so I think ill keep these as they are for now ( maybe the cuff will grow on me 

20210511_174112

They look great/loads better, you would never know it's an after market dye job.

I would have to scalpel or hot knife that flashing down the center of the toe box, it would drive me crackers!

I assume they've cast the entire sole unit out of one mould.. (the flashing being the joint-line) construct a canvas upper and glue it into possition, rather than wrap with foxing tape?

Set up costs would be astronomical in the UK because you would need a die/mould for every shoe size but i suppose if you're producing numbers it would be cost effective in the long run.

Anyone remember those cheap made in Pakistan plimsoles we used to get in the 80's (and probably before) they were great! i'd quite like a pair of the lace-ups.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Lots of shops were selling them here in London for £5 a few years back Neal, they were very popular among the younger crowd.

I can remember having (wa-ay back in the late 70s) a pair of Converse style lo-tops (we called them rubbers) in red and blue (I think) with toes printed on the rubber toe cap!

There pretty weird as far as construction goes mate . The midsole and toe box are like you said but the outsole seems to have been melted ?? Into the midsole 

20210511_200939

Edited by Flash

I think that's 2 different coloured rubbers which are cast in one process/while both rubbers are still liquid, they'll cure at the same time bonding them together and making it look melted.

It looks like a 3 part mould, ie- the sole is one part and the mid is made in two halves and they'll all fit together to make 1 mould. They'll cast a measured amount of the tan coloured rubber into the bottom of the mould, and cast black rubber into the sides while the 2 halves are together (if that makes sense). I'm assuming at this point they close the 2 halves (bottom and 2x sides) of mould together and the excess rubber is forced out of the joint causing the flashing... while the rubber is curing the toe end of the mould is pointing upwards.. there's a little imperfection at the 'top' of each dimple, this would be trapped air which is trying to rise to the surface but can't escape from the mould. If they were injection moulded in one unit, the pressure would force the excess air out.. that's my theory :)

The mid is made in 2x halves just so they can split the mould afterwards to remove the rubber sole unit.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Rev-1 4pt mould (forgot about forming the inner) i was frantically typing while the house was flooding in the crazy storm..

Dad!!! the velux is leaking onto my bed... Neal!!! theres water running in through the letterbox and under the door :D

Anyways.. each cross is a joint of the mould so you will see flashing at all these points, the 2x circles on the sole are the delivery and exit points, still stands regarding trapped air in the dimples.

After casting, you would remove Pt2, split Pt3/4 and remove the sole

Scan-001.jpg

Edited by Double 0 Soul

17 minutes ago, Flash said:

Well old school with the fatties 

Ive got a shoebox full of fat laces so there are plenty more lined up for the oatmeal pair, some are still attached to card after 30+yrs :D

fullsizeoutput_3012.jpeg

I'll draw the line at blue tho!.. far too subtle ;)

fullsizeoutput_3013.jpeg

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Time for lame rant that definitely belongs in the nonsense thread, but is trainer related so I’ll stick it in here. 

These will no doubt be old news to some of you here, but I heard about these the other day and what the actual fuck!? :blink: Crease guards (that look like cheap, breathable codpieces) which are bits of plastic (cos we haven’t got enough plastic) that prevent your trainers from creasing while you wear them. 
8F5DDE16-6E94-4C3A-B143-FE83343BA275.thumb.jpeg.00167c8da51dc8b9f4c6b0891fbb6749.jpeg

Trainer fetishism has gone bonkers, and it transpires that creases are a big faux pas. You don’t want to look like the kind of tool that actually wears their clothes do you...?

I personally love a beat up pair of trainers so I’m not the target market. I’m mostly a live and let live bloke, but this is too much. 

Rant over. Don’t feel obliged to respond or acknowledge. Just posting has made me feel better. :)

18 hours ago, unders said:

Time for lame rant that definitely belongs in the nonsense thread, but is trainer related so I’ll stick it in here. 

These will no doubt be old news to some of you here, but I heard about these the other day and what the actual fuck!? :blink: Crease guards (that look like cheap, breathable codpieces) which are bits of plastic (cos we haven’t got enough plastic) that prevent your trainers from creasing while you wear them. 
8F5DDE16-6E94-4C3A-B143-FE83343BA275.thumb.jpeg.00167c8da51dc8b9f4c6b0891fbb6749.jpeg

Trainer fetishism has gone bonkers, and it transpires that creases are a big faux pas. You don’t want to look like the kind of tool that actually wears their clothes do you...?

I personally love a beat up pair of trainers so I’m not the target market. I’m mostly a live and let live bloke, but this is too much. 

Rant over. Don’t feel obliged to respond or acknowledge. Just posting has made me feel better. :)

oh yeah it's fucking weird. I've seen it a few years back when I was collecting the 25th anniversary asics GL3s. think a few lads that were camping out with me had them on. first time I've heard about it then..