The Sneakers we wear with our jeans

Flash

12 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

...I only wore them for a couple of days and the midsoles crumbled, seen here with LVC 555, Warp Records, FW-47's and Big hair

Every time I put a pair of trainers on that have been away a few years I’m terrified this will happen. Terrified’s an exaggeration but you get the gist.
It’s the reason I won’t wear the All Courts I posted a couple of pages back. Happened to an old pair of Forest Hills I gave to my brother a few years ago - the ungrateful git sent me an arsey text afterwards so I’m always on the lookout for some more soon-to-crumbles to give him again. 

Enjoying the fat laces [thumbs-up-to-sneakers.emoji]

^^ I'll need all future subliminal messages in 18 point bold font and appreciate them starting and ending with *** please

Love the LVC... that sounds like the 'buy old for instant steez' strategy.  If you fancy a challenge for the weekend, I'd like the same in size 44/46 in great condition for under £100 kind Sir.

My current new jeans ban expires in May 2021 and FW are in the cross hairs already.  I reckon @Duke Mantee will still be freewheelin' on that thread then, maybe with still a few shirts at the back of the wardrobe or lockup to photograph and post

Edited by MJF9

Yeah it's a problem with the foam mids, they do tend to crumble over time, ive even seen DS examples that are crumbling which have never been taken out of the box, you can replace stuff like Cortez, Waffles ect using clued up cobblers, when i was a sexy-teen i used to collect 70's era MiJ Nike runners, this was back in the late 80's and you could easily pick up track spikes of the same models for next to nowt (nobody wanted spikes) so folks would buy.. say a battered 70's era Waffle for next to nowt, peel the often still decent rubber sole away, then buy a mint pair of Waffle track spikes which had only been worn for a few hours, remove the sole unit, have a new foam mid cut and Evo-Stick the whole thing back together..

1 hour ago, Double 0 Soul said:

I included this subliminal message^

The FW-47's are from 2013 i posted them in the freewheelers thread

Ive never posted the LVC because i bought it 'vintage' so a lot of the evolution isn't on account of me (absolute zero strategy with that one :D) it's quite delicate nowadays so i only wear it once or twice/yr.

Ive just noticed that when i came back here in December the Freewheelers thread was on pg18 after 10yrs, i twisted @Duke Mantee arm to joing our band of merry men... 6months later and the thread is on pg44 B) gwan Duke!!!

Yours are still some of the best worn 47s you’ll see posted ... and yes you did twist my arm but there’s no need to point out I’m a narrow minded boring bastard that can’t see past a lowly regarded Japanese clothing manufacturer :dry:

:laugh2:

Worth it for the glory @MJF9

I didn’t realise cobblers would even look at a pair of trainers. Suppose they’re few and far between but I guess the internet will help me find one. I binned my favourite blazers (grey .jp canvas) a few years ago as the sole went through. I’d have happily bought a new pair of other blazers just to use the soles as replacements. Good to know for next time. 

20 minutes ago, unders said:

I didn’t realise cobblers would even look at a pair of trainers. Suppose they’re few and far between but I guess the internet will help me find one. I binned my favourite blazers (grey .jp canvas) a few years ago as the sole went through. I’d have happily bought a new pair of other blazers just to use the soles as replacements. Good to know for next time. 

Ive never seen it down with Blazers, but if its just the rubber sole you want to replace, i don't see why you cant carefully use some solvent between the sole and foxing tape to dissolve the adhesive and peel away the sole yourself but i wouldn't buy a new pair just yet because i suspect that peeling the rubber sole away will damage the foam between the footbed and the sole, some of it will stay  stuck to the shoe some will come away with the sole.. you wouldn't be able to replace the mid without removing the foxing tape... in other words, chuck them in the bin.

The guy i used to use was in Barnsley but that was decades ago...

@Double 0 Soul Ok thanks for reassuring me the bin was the way to go. 

I suppose next time I could just plonk a new sole on the bust one. Doubled the life of me trainers and an inch taller - what’s not to like. Won’t even matter if they’re not aligned seeing as these platforms are the height of ‘cool’ these days: 

E921FC02-C86E-439E-A35B-4388E22374D4.jpeg.c1f170289d5a7197d1f9ff2d3ac5e960.jpeg

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

Yours are still some of the best worn 47s you’ll see posted ... and yes you did twist my arm but there’s no need to point out I’m a narrow minded boring bastard that can’t see past a lowly regarded Japanese clothing manufacturer :dry:

:laugh2:

It's down to my carefully orchastrated stratergy of wearing them Duke :D

I think EMS shipping will be re-established in a few more weeks

Just bear in mind, they are UDT pumps (coral creepers, swim shoes) so designed for use where your feet get wet... on the shore, jungle ect so they dry quickly but this means there is no structure to them, just canvas with very little support.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 3:46 AM, unders said:

Not sure about availability outside of the US, but I read about this a while ago: https://us.vibram.com/shop/sole-factor/

• 2 weeks later...