danii

ChunWoHoCo... they are the webbing supplier you want. From ArcTeryx to LaSportiva to UnderArmour... they are the industry go-to.

http://www.chunwoho.com.hk/

Theyll make you any possible weave of webbing, cord, elastic, etc. even rubber molded bits, zipper pulls, laser etching, tags and labels... bigass company.

It's rare that I'm able to ask them for something they're unable to create.

Minimum orders are about 1000M... but 1" webbing, even complicated custom weaves, is rarely more than about 4cents a meter.

Edited by the-intern

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would like to know too, Europe and cotton 7-9mm, preferably.

On 6/27/2018 at 4:23 AM, piece keeper said:

No techwear really, but anyone have any ideas on where to source a high quality drawstring/lace for a hoodie? Got a hoodie whose drawstring I'd like to replace since it's frayed quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

@DROVES @piece keeper @mizzar - My favorite supplier is Chun Wo Ho Co, they're one of the biggest manufacturers of cordage, webbing, elastic, etc. They do all the webbing for Arc'Teryx among many others. Low mins, quick turn around, endless customization... tricky language barrier though. Also of note is Tennessee Webbing, and KandK Garment Accessories Co.

Edited by the-intern

20 hours ago, _Nddls said:

Hello. Is there any way I, a regular person, can purchase TecSys webbing in small quantity without b2b transactions?

I'm not as informed as the DIYers here but maybe you repurpose some webbing from your local Military Surplus. Or buy some webbing & make your own but I think those come in rolls.

Who makes 'TecSys' webbing? Anyone know.

I don't have any use for it myself but am willing to order the MOQ in order to provide a community supply at cost. :)

Someone let me know and I'll reach out.

Alternatively... I could design and spec out something superior with the same effect from one of my trusted suppliers if there's interest.

18 hours ago, the-intern said:

@DROVES @piece keeper @mizzar - My favorite supplier is Chun Wo Ho Co, they're one of the biggest manufacturers of cordage, webbing, elastic, etc. They do all the webbing for Arc'Teryx among many others. Low mins, quick turn around, endless customization... tricky language barrier though. Also of note is Tennessee Webbing, and KandK Garment Accessories Co.

Thanks, i'll contact them, still would like some stock from europe, not that 1 km is a lot, but stock is just faster and what you see is what you get.

Edited by mizzar

@mizzar - Most companies sell 1roll as a min quantity, usually that's 100m, webbing is typically no more $0.30usd per meter for custom stuff... so a 100m roll is only about $30. You can also send them a webbing sample cut from something you like, all the vendors I've spoken with would gladly copy it.

Edited by the-intern

• 2 weeks later...

I love this idea @danii you should really formalize this movement. I'm currently mustering together responses from about 50 textiles/hardware/trim suppliers from all across the industry to see whose interested in offering sales to makers and the diy crowd, also facilitate group buys and the such. Let's talk!

....and on that note:

I've seen a lot of buzz and requests lately for community access sources to technical materials.

Truth be told materials access is really one of the last hurdles of unapproachability in this industry for the DIY/Maker community.

To respond to this I've begun last week reaching out to suppliers and manufacturers... over 50 of them so far, from technical knits, softshells, hypalon, next-to-skin, reflective, webbing, laminates... just about every major vendor and category has been pinged.

What I'm asking these companies is to share with me their willingness to collaborate and make available their products to the maker enthusiasts. I've told them that I am willing to work with them as a representative of this community in order to facilitate group buys and overall better access.

Over the coming weeks I'll be putting together a public facing list of the brands who've agreed to participate and the ones who have declined. As well a detailed list of the specific products these companies are willing to offer us.

Stay tuned as I get things more organized and put together a poll and form system which will allow you all to share your voice and interest. By this time next month it's my hopes that together we can lift the veil of illusion and get full access to the types of technical materials used by the big brands.

Be well all. Thank you for you.

-end-

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 12:47 PM, the-intern said:

....and on that note:

I've seen a lot of buzz and requests lately for community access sources to technical materials.

Truth be told materials access is really one of the last hurdles of unapproachability in this industry for the DIY/Maker community.

To respond to this I've begun last week reaching out to suppliers and manufacturers... over 50 of them so far, from technical knits, softshells, hypalon, next-to-skin, reflective, webbing, laminates... just about every major vendor and category has been pinged.

What I'm asking these companies is to share with me their willingness to collaborate and make available their products to the maker enthusiasts. I've told them that I am willing to work with them as a representative of this community in order to facilitate group buys and overall better access.

Over the coming weeks I'll be putting together a public facing list of the brands who've agreed to participate and the ones who have declined. As well a detailed list of the specific products these companies are willing to offer us.

Stay tuned as I get things more organized and put together a poll and form system which will allow you all to share your voice and interest. By this time next month it's my hopes that together we can lift the veil of illusion and get full access to the types of technical materials used by the big brands.

Be well all. Thank you for you.

-end-

any follow up on this? maybe a database of online shops youve collected at least?

Oh boy, lots to take pics of today...

trimmers, system mag, fidlock and woojin buckles to name a few.

Fabrics from TomLong (makers of AC2) and Sixup (inventors of hypalon) have arrived as well... got some really exciting custom options from these companies.

Lots of stretch knits and laminates from Best Pacific (makers of CoolMax/Drifit).

Theres about a dozen vendors on board so-far... :) lots more still in discussion or pending shipping.

Edited by the-intern

• 2 weeks later...

What are these plastic parts called? For ebay and googling purposes.

Would also appreciate places to buy from. Sending to Norway 

Skjermbilde 2018-10-10 kl. 20.46.54.png

Edited by Marw

@EG562 - Dimension Polyant VS75 (~15$/yd) or "D40 w/ Transfer Metalized Aluminum" (~$35/yd) if they have it available. Both are made to order, or once per year otherwise. The other DP options are very flimsy.

@Marw - Slotted Loop, some brands call it a C-Hook. I use these ones: http://www.woojinplastic.com/products/detail/71/page:9/tag:bag

Sorry I haven't posted fabric analysis' yet. I've been super swamped and there's a good ~70+ fabrics to document at this point. Next week or two I'll have it all processed. :)

Edited by the-intern

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, eel_jah said:

Not really down for paying for acronym mods, does anyone know any other alternatives or got any cool mods to sell for a 3TS

I believe orbit gear is releasing a few tomorrow, enfin leve has a couple different selection of materials, k.simple has some under the foxbat brand. I know 0608 has a few, but they copied my boy Danii, so choose a different brand ;).

11 hours ago, eel_jah said:

Not really down for paying for acronym mods, does anyone know any other alternatives or got any cool mods to sell for a 3TS

Faced something similar, and mocked up this for Enfin Leve. Priced @ 115€ (Or 95 without bottom zip) and Stotz material.

unsure how useful it will actually turn out to be but hopefully will fit my memobottle A5 or other things I don’t want in the same compartment as my laptop.

I can post more details once I actually receive it

4FC5027B-86C6-4BFB-B6E4-06F19EDEF0BE.jpeg

On 30/11/2018 at 8:53 AM, Jmscnon said:

Faced something similar, and mocked up this for Enfin Leve. Priced @ 115€ (Or 95 without bottom zip) and Stotz material.

unsure how useful it will actually turn out to be but hopefully will fit my memobottle A5 or other things I don’t want in the same compartment as my laptop.

I can post more details once I actually receive it

4FC5027B-86C6-4BFB-B6E4-06F19EDEF0BE.jpeg

Definitely send some photos once you get it, looks interesting might also do the same and use it for as water bottle compartment or keeping kindle or switch in

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to @Dani @dsxero @crkdsaint @blakebru97 @techwearintern and all other DIY'ers who have contributed to this community in some way.  

Just got started on a 30 day design challenge, will be posting some of the results.

I'll be putting it up on Reddit (shoot me a message if you have any other recommendations). 

wip8-1.thumb.jpg.540fe01e98de74df865de3a7fa6f97fc.jpg

detail26-1.thumb.jpg.07fdfdb473531fc4cdfe0a01154e24cb.jpg

detail15-1.thumb.jpg.70221f8b9b7470f809031c12a4e94ab9.jpg

5c101ccfab797_detail18-1-Copy.thumb.jpg.6e902c2b5933aaf1bf8d5a4a338e29d2.jpg

detail22-1.thumb.jpg.669f8be48dc9ebf4e438f8a9f63e1b36.jpg

fit7-1.thumb.jpg.1450f174782bfff7fa7927e371bfae4d.jpg

detail24-1.jpg

detail18-1.jpg

redone11-1.jpg

redone9-1-2.jpg

Edited by fission1

• 2 months later...

So.... Guys.
Now working on some summer pants but all thin fabrics i found are just not robust enough for my chunky legs :) 
Desperately looking for that Terratex 94% Nylon 6% Elastane blend Arc uses.
Googling doesn't help, due Arc being one and only who marks that fabric this way.
Somebody, pleeease help, if only with another name of this fabric
If its factory with giant MOQ i could negotiate sample for myself, or even buy up to 100m.
really desperate here, 35+ Celsius last summer, here)