Baus

Cone Mills (last US denim manufacturer) is shutting down

It really isn't all that surprising, unfortunately. It will be interesting where all the 'me too' denim brands as well as others like Roy will get their denim.

black day for US manufacturing and the selvage denim scene. I wonder where all the looms are going?

What US brands are making jeans with Cone. I know Left Field, Railcar, Tellason and Freenote off the top of my head. I wanna grab something before its to late.

1 hour ago, itschrisb said:

What US brands are making jeans with Cone. I know Left Field, Railcar, Tellason and Freenote off the top of my head. I wanna grab something before its to late.

Norman Porter, Gustin, Shockoe Atelier and Bravestar. Probably more out there but I can't think of anyone else

rising sun yukons are on sale. great jeans. they used to use all cone denim. but as u know, rs is no longer under mike hodis. this says "american denim", i assume it's cone but maybe contact em first to make sure. 

Edited by oomslokop
link

Todd Snyder denim is made from Cone.

#mycone

rs blacksmith, rs outdoors vest, mf cali 54

20171021_060304.jpg

20171021_060507.jpg

20171021_060555.jpg

Does anyone remember a thread over the summer started by "True Loom Textiles" ?  They posted about getting 8 shuttle looms to prepare for production.

No real updates since the summer. 

10 minutes ago, HGS said:

Does anyone remember a thread over the summer started by "True Loom Textiles" ?  They posted about getting 8 shuttle looms to prepare for production.

No real updates since the summer. 

Hey HGS - we are getting ready to weave our first batch of ecru long stable sustainable USA Pima cotton. It takes an incredible amount of time, effort, money, and determination to start a textile from scratch. I was devastated when I heard the news about White Oak. They were such an important pillar of the textile industry - not just in the USA but worldwide to all denim lovers. White Oak was synonymous with heritage and history. Our plan had always been to be a counter point and take a different approach creating interesting fabrics on our Toyoda shuttle looms. I'm not sure exactly where True Loom Textiles fits into the textile landscape anymore. USA made fabric - specifically selvedge fabric - has entered a new age and it's a bit scary. I never thought I'd witness the closing of White Oak. Yet in the face of this news we all have to work harder to make sure made in the USA selvedge fabric doesn't become extinct. 

@TrueLoomTextiles thanks for the information!  I'm sure you guys have your hands full getting everything off the ground.  Best of luck

Perhaps True Loom Textiles can pick up a few vintage Draper shuttle looms for cheap? 

Edited by Maynard Friedman
looms not loons!

On January 21, 2017 at 3:24 AM, dudewuttheheck said:

Also, isn't Huston supposed to be making denim soon?

Supposedly yes, but it doesn't seem to be up and running yet. 

Their fabrics are great, but $$$. They have no choice, and you do get a fabric from a small operation. Hopefully Roy and others can use their denim, but I wonder if that might affect the price of the jeans.

2 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Supposedly yes, but it doesn't seem to be up and running yet. 

Their fabrics are great, but $$$. They have no choice, and you do get a fabric from a small operation. Hopefully Roy and others can use their denim, but I wonder if that might affect the price of the jeans.

If the denim is even close to how good the shirt fabrics are, I will have a pair from whoever gets his fabric!

On 10/20/2017 at 1:57 AM, dudewuttheheck said:

It really isn't all that surprising, unfortunately. It will be interesting where all the 'me too' denim brands as well as others like Roy will get their denim.

Southeast Asian/Thailand and China markets. Soso's denim is predominantly from Fansun Mills and those areas and it's pretty good stuff. Selvage too. However The Gap sources their selvage from Kaihara. So let's hope the exodus from Oak leads to Japan and not China.

Edited by mlyngard

4 hours ago, mlyngard said:

So let's hope the exodus from Oak leads to Japan and not China.

giphy.gif

:D:D:D

so how is people's stockpiling of cone denim jeans going? :D

Ordered some 1976 yesterday. I wanted the 1966 but was able to see both models and preferred the '76.

ah cool! You've done same as me. Great minds think alike ey ^_^

I'll probably grab the 66 too, if there's a big sale and my size is in stock

How much of a discount are you looking for? Try this for 25% off: LEVIS150S25MVC - I think it's valid for a few more days.

ah man that's awesome, thanks a lot! Just ordered a pair of 1966!

Also damn you for being the devil enabler :D^_^

35 minutes ago, Niro said:

so how is people's stockpiling of cone denim jeans going? :D

Guilty as charged :D 1976 coming in.

8 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

How much of a discount are you looking for? Try this for 25% off: LEVIS150S25MVC - I think it's valid for a few more days.

Aw man, even works on the German site. I ordered with a 20% code off Cultizm, could've saved even more :ph34r: Maybe I'll get the 1966 to compare...

What did you like more about the 76?

You're welcome gents!

I preferred the fit of the 1976 and I quite liked the lighter coloured denim with a grey hue, it reminded me a little of the denim used on my Warehouse 1001XX 15th anniversary. 

For anyone interested, I tried on the 66s and 76s in a Levi's shop and bought online from Levi's website using the discount code so I think that's morally OK...

Yeah, with shopping at Levi's I wouldn't think twice either. Won't return the pair I bought at Cultizm just to save another 15€ though.