Cone Mills (last US denim manufacturer) is shutting down

Baus

What US brands are making jeans with Cone. I know Left Field, Railcar, Tellason and Freenote off the top of my head. I wanna grab something before its to late.

1 hour ago, itschrisb said:

What US brands are making jeans with Cone. I know Left Field, Railcar, Tellason and Freenote off the top of my head. I wanna grab something before its to late.

Norman Porter, Gustin, Shockoe Atelier and Bravestar. Probably more out there but I can't think of anyone else

rising sun yukons are on sale. great jeans. they used to use all cone denim. but as u know, rs is no longer under mike hodis. this says "american denim", i assume it's cone but maybe contact em first to make sure. 

Edited by oomslokop
link

10 minutes ago, HGS said:

Does anyone remember a thread over the summer started by "True Loom Textiles" ?  They posted about getting 8 shuttle looms to prepare for production.

No real updates since the summer. 

Hey HGS - we are getting ready to weave our first batch of ecru long stable sustainable USA Pima cotton. It takes an incredible amount of time, effort, money, and determination to start a textile from scratch. I was devastated when I heard the news about White Oak. They were such an important pillar of the textile industry - not just in the USA but worldwide to all denim lovers. White Oak was synonymous with heritage and history. Our plan had always been to be a counter point and take a different approach creating interesting fabrics on our Toyoda shuttle looms. I'm not sure exactly where True Loom Textiles fits into the textile landscape anymore. USA made fabric - specifically selvedge fabric - has entered a new age and it's a bit scary. I never thought I'd witness the closing of White Oak. Yet in the face of this news we all have to work harder to make sure made in the USA selvedge fabric doesn't become extinct. 

On January 21, 2017 at 3:24 AM, dudewuttheheck said:

Also, isn't Huston supposed to be making denim soon?

Supposedly yes, but it doesn't seem to be up and running yet. 

Their fabrics are great, but $$$. They have no choice, and you do get a fabric from a small operation. Hopefully Roy and others can use their denim, but I wonder if that might affect the price of the jeans.

2 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

Supposedly yes, but it doesn't seem to be up and running yet. 

Their fabrics are great, but $$$. They have no choice, and you do get a fabric from a small operation. Hopefully Roy and others can use their denim, but I wonder if that might affect the price of the jeans.

If the denim is even close to how good the shirt fabrics are, I will have a pair from whoever gets his fabric!

On 10/20/2017 at 1:57 AM, dudewuttheheck said:

It really isn't all that surprising, unfortunately. It will be interesting where all the 'me too' denim brands as well as others like Roy will get their denim.

Southeast Asian/Thailand and China markets. Soso's denim is predominantly from Fansun Mills and those areas and it's pretty good stuff. Selvage too. However The Gap sources their selvage from Kaihara. So let's hope the exodus from Oak leads to Japan and not China.

Edited by mlyngard

35 minutes ago, Niro said:

so how is people's stockpiling of cone denim jeans going? :D

Guilty as charged :D 1976 coming in.

8 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

How much of a discount are you looking for? Try this for 25% off: LEVIS150S25MVC - I think it's valid for a few more days.

Aw man, even works on the German site. I ordered with a 20% code off Cultizm, could've saved even more :ph34r: Maybe I'll get the 1966 to compare...

What did you like more about the 76?

You're welcome gents!

I preferred the fit of the 1976 and I quite liked the lighter coloured denim with a grey hue, it reminded me a little of the denim used on my Warehouse 1001XX 15th anniversary. 

For anyone interested, I tried on the 66s and 76s in a Levi's shop and bought online from Levi's website using the discount code so I think that's morally OK...