The Great Outdoors

Dolphinski

On 1/19/2018 at 1:19 AM, suprastar said:

Would I be able to get away with my Red Wing leather lace up boots ?

I've worn similar boots backpacking in Glacier and Rocky Mountains NPs (5-6 days out) with no issues. I always bring a pair of sandals along so I can take my boots off once at the site so they can breath/dry.

The main problem is they're heavy, but if you're comfortable walking in them for long distances I would think they'll be fine (assuming you're talking about ones with the Vibram sole not the cork or crepe). A good pair of merino socks and comfortable insoles definately doesn't hurt either.

Edited by wexler

On 1/19/2018 at 2:19 AM, suprastar said:

Guys need some advice.

Doing a trip to Vancouver/Seattle/Portland in late February and planning to go up to Whistler, as well as some hiking here and there.

Was eyeing the Hoka One One Ultra Tor Hi boots, but is it really necessary to have waterproof boots? Don't want to spend that much for only a couple of weeks wear, especially since I live in warmer climates usually..

Would I be able to get away with my Red Wing leather lace up boots ?

In the summer (or late spring / early fall), you'd be fine, but winter is extremely wet so trails will be beyond muddy and you'll hit some snow if you do any serious hikes so I would think you'd do a lot better with proper waterproofed boots. 

• 1 year later...

Any advice on new goretex vs vintage? I have a mix of paclite, pro shell, new and older jackets and 1 pair of vintage goretex trousers, all seem to have different material qualities and variagated waterproof/breathability ratios, but I can't find a clear pattern - some vintage stuff seriously outperforms modern, and vice versa

pics/details if interested

• 1 year later...

Anyone own Klattermusen gear? Really interested in a few pieces.. pants seems on the longer side, 31~ inseam on a sz M-L for the short versions?! Any insights would be appreciated.  Beautiful designs and the hardware they use makes the details on the pieces dope AF. 

Yeah, I love the aesthetics of Klattermusen.  They definitely stand out from the crowd of the many boring outdoors clothing companies.  But it seems like they’re built for taller folks lol. 

I mainly use Arcteryx for hiking.  I love their mainline stuff but I must admit they’re a little bland.  I use acronym pants for the winter (p24a-s, p5ts-s and occasionally P10-ds) I have on occasions used the shells but that was very rare due to California weather (I just keep it in my pack just in case).  

im prolle going to invest in some pants (hard wearing softshell), mid layer (hardwearing softshell), and a 20L backpack sometime soon.  I’m looking for longevity since my intent is to wear these over and over again until they’re beat to shit. 

First I’m hearing of them myself. Gear looks very smart and considered. Much like Arcteryx tho, it’s a shame they have to logo/brand so blatantly. 

@Flipflop214 I’m guessing the lengthy pants is to afford the ankle height on boots and negate any chance of the pant hem rising too much above the cuff of the boot and exposing the inner of the boot to debris and potential moisture, as well as just getting bunched up on top of the boot to much.