Happy Jeans - Tcb 20s contest thread

^ my festival is a chamber music festival, we do every year about 15 chamber music concerts plus usually one folk/crossover concert and about two jazz concerts.

I'm surprised you know Al Qantarah, that's some pretty obscure 90s/millennial music from Sicily. Check out Unavantaluna and mostly Fratelli Mancuso, they're both pretty amazing in their own way. I'm a big fan and a long time friend of the Mancusos.

Good call on the sizing, personally I'm trying a diet and I don't want to size up two, the Sugarcane and Warehouse I have are about 1 inch larger than what TCB will be and they're too wide in the waist for me already. They were pretty bang on a few weeks ago but I've already lost 4 kilos and I plan to loose another 4 at least.

Ok he's going to do something slightly different to avoid any problem...

Original design but asymmetric like a original 20's pair. Easy to design and very easy to unpick by the customer. I think it's the best idea.

Edited by volvo240thebest

ok we seem to have nailed down the possibilities to these two:

#1 original style arc, but with asymmetrical design as per OG 20's arcs

#2 quirky cat eye arcs. Dunno what you think I believe this is as TCBesque as it can possibly get. I'mm all for this, even if it's not repro style at all

I don't want to make a poll for this, shit is already too complicated. Just want to have an opinion from you guys and make sure neither of the two would detract someone from joining. Again I'm all for the cat, which is also 100% Inoue idea (I like this).

1 hour ago, volvo240thebest said:

^ my festival is a chamber music festival, we do every year about 15 chamber music concerts plus usually one folk/crossover concert and about two jazz concerts.

I'm surprised you know Al Qantarah, that's some pretty obscure 90s/millennial music from Sicily. Check out Unavantaluna and mostly Fratelli Mancuso, they're both pretty amazing in their own way. I'm a big fan and a long time friend of the Mancusos.

look fwd to listening to those tips: thanks. 

when beginning raw denim journey in my callow yoof i was all boredoms, merzbow and otomo yoshihide (for the musicologists, his take on peking opera as ground zero is hardcore as is his take on takeo yamashita)

as it stands, shostakovich's chamber music such as string quartets and jewish folk poetry are my current sources of jolly sonic discord... 

found al q through encountering the jewish harp in an ethnographic museum: their music was used as the example... was hoping they were still doing the rounds

I think the unique TCB cat-related arcs idea is great and it throws open an array of possibilities, including incorporating the OG design as whiskers along with some feline ears, like this (excuse the shoddy artwork while I'm plugged into a boring audio meeting at work):

IMG_3726.JPG

Quirky doesn't really bother me as long as it doesn't get too whimsical. If prefer Maynard's idea to the original scetch to be honest, the other is pretty boring IMO and Maynard's idea is pretty awesome. It gets across both TCB and the repro aspect. 

the cat ear concept would need refinement to be really appealing - while running the risk to come across like and inverted Edwin or a Mister Freedom variation.

cat wiskers might be similar to Nudies.

cat ears & cat whiskers seem like too much at once...

On 15/6/2017 at 1:01 PM, bartlebyyphonics said:

what does he want do?

which is his preference?

my two-pence is that tcb aint fullcount and that levis love a bit of legal enforcement but i do love the 20s arc and if he goes down the cat ear route, does he start to develop a logo: that is really his consideration... design by consensus is a funny thing, as is rushed design on the hoof... i would be happy to wear his design as long as it is well considered, but not a huge fan of quirk..

he's open to both solutions.

^^

ecumenic is a great term. 

i like maynards shift to the curvaceous 

i agree with both cucoo and foxy

and...

tldr; i go on a rant, ask others to say their piece

i dont want to speak for all, esp as new member with habit of verbal blah, so i can only respond with my personal account.

when i bought tcb from a certain uk store - as a returning denim addict who was yet n00bish to the indigo world post 2004 and without knowledge beyond lvc & evisu - the blank pocket was actually a bonus

as a 'customer' i  dont really want the clarity of the design jazzed up to make them a special pair only owned by 20 odd people. 

as a 'researcher' i have had a long standing interest in appropriation and the arts, and always thought the theft-improvement of u.s. denim by the recently occupied japanese was an interesting cultural exchange and contestation bordering on subversion through attention to detail in a way that goes beyond mere faithfulness.

my interest in arcs or no, then, is less to do really with quirk [as this is just about taste, and i fully countenance exaggeration and whimsy over the machismo of momotaro's 'going to war' etc.] than with how it enters into a dialogue and/or contestation with its origin, how does it affirm yet destabilise, offering continuity and discontinuity at once...

plus, the straight lines remind me of carhartt, they might work on a dungaree pocket but the 20s pocket doesnt seem that big

but if cats do it for Inoue-san, then... they have a charm as the very emblem of post-fordist general intellect meets affective viral flow... [if he can find 20s equivalent of a meme, that could be a starting point: the fact is the brand-force of the arcs has precisely this memetic logic of an idea \ design-image that spread from ass to ass]

anyway, i promised myself to try to say nothing, but... would love to hear others. 

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Tbh I think it would be a lot easier to go with #1. The cat ear-one needs a lot of work to be appealing. 

One thing though: even if we make the arcs more asymmetrical than FC, are we sure we won't put Inoue in a bind with them? I'm not sure how much the trademarks covers (or if FC even have trademarked their design).

no bother, we'll wait a few weeks once you've gathered the 245 shillings.
Meanwhile I must say I am surprised and slightly disappointed by the number of orders without braces buttons... They hardly make any difference as far as comfort is concerned, unless you size it too tight or unless you're a soft sissy like Ed.

Cool! Yeah before our girl came I wouldn't hesitate but now I need to plan my denim related shopping a bit more :)

Personally I would order with the buttons just to get that 20-30s look. That also gives me the opportunity to maybe try some suspenders! :D

On 2017-6-14 at 0:27 AM, volvo240thebest said:

If you happen to work for a certain brand I tell you these will look exactly as said brand after some seam ripper job....:ph34r:

Lol this will be true if y'all go with the first arc option. I was also taking into consideration that I probably don't need any new jeans at the moment since I'm already trying to sell ones I no longer wear. 

Even though I won't be wearing the jeans, I reckon option #1 is best. And although they aren't exactly alike, the cat arcs remind me of Diesel jeans... Maybe I'm just used to seeing asymmetrical Levi's arcs on early model jeans, but the cat ones look a little odd.

I just want to register my support for the first arc option (OG-inspired) alongside others who've already chimed in.

On 6/15/2017 at 9:50 AM, volvo240thebest said:

Meanwhile I must say I am surprised and slightly disappointed by the number of orders without braces buttons... They hardly make any difference as far as comfort is concerned, unless you size it too tight or unless you're a soft sissy like Ed.

Also, I can appreciate Volvo's sentiment & disappointment about those of us who are going without suspender buttons. For me, the choice was all about making sure I won't even hesitate to wear my pair regularly. Buttons & braces would be fun as a novelty for me, but I somehow find the buttons to be the one thing that make me feel a shade or two too costume-y; as such, I just worry that I would pull my 60s or SC 47s on too often instead of the 20s. Truth be told, until the no-buttons option was confirmed, I was just going to buy a pair of 50s and sit the contest out. So, I'm quite pleased with Inoue's flexibility on this and happy to be on board for the contest. Also, I'm about to move from Denver, Colorado to Charleston, South Carolina and think that such a significant change of scenery and lifestyle should pair really well with the contest. Cheers. 

• sufu1 changed the title to Happy Jeans - Tcb 20s contest thread