Happy Jeans - Tcb 20s contest thread

6 hours ago, Bobbo said:

... Instagram vote ... will be a popularity contest.

this [it goes against those who don't use said forum]

4 hours ago, Paul T said:

... if it's going to be an Instagram vote, best to have them all posted by Inoue, to reduce the number-of-followers factor.

and this, but even that irks some

7 hours ago, Flash said:

I'm not involved in this contest so my opinion should be taken lightly .... but if it has to do with likes then I think it will just end up a popularity contest and the person with the biggest following will more than likely win 

@Flash - your non-involvement is noted, but more important is your experience and integrity; having slept on it I do rather concur with this point... [this is why I was hoping for judge-panel - a vote on here will be always popularity biased, with the IG participants behind [athough only four have posted here [and kiriyamaworks seems to be the noted absence] ... and quite a few are top-top-tier] - to go to IG without proper framework goes to same issue but even more so ... not sure of how workable... let chaos reign and have Ed decide!

or

lets rly complicate things: a sufu poll here, a poll on IG [with Inoue posting the pix via his account - although what will happen is that the first ones posted will get the majority of the likes and then the rest will tail off [but that at least will show his preferences in terms of the order of his posts] ... and I wonder whether inoue-san wants to choke his feed with so many of the same pants...] and then aggregate; with judges [tcb-team?] taking responsibility for any tie break situation... [so three different mechanisms to ward off any saltiness ...]

or

... who will be crowned all powerful fader? c'mon Inoue: you tell us! don't throw us to the mercy of the likability algorithms...

or

pls ignore me, my complex machinations and pointless fights of fancy [because it is all jeans on the internet...]

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

13 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I think Inoue wants some free publicity for his brand!

but isn't that the point of a contest? not against him getting maximum visibility for all his efforts...

[and understanding that the maximum visibility is not here, but that the majority of completions of the contest can be found here... a #tcb20scontest / #tcb20scontestに参加します / #tcb20scontestに参加中 search on the 'gram doesn't seem to provide anything different to what is here [apart from absence of IG tcb-stalwart kirayamaworks in the sufu final thread] but Instagram has a different community of voters than here... I think it is a great place for him to post pix to display the quality of his work, but on reflection I am reflecting if it is the best place to do a vote...]

but if he votes to give it to the IG community to decide I will go along with that... his jeans, his rules as stated wisely above.

Cannot be more agreeable than this "his jeans,his rules" ,if he wanted through likes on IG so be it ,besides we are not here for the prize right ? I know its title as a contest but whatever the result is im still very proud with everyone who stay until the end ,cheers

Edited by jigsaw

@bartlebyyphonics, I don’t think the point of the contest is additional free publicity for his brand via an IG judging conclusion, arguably he’s had the exposure throughout the duration of the contest.

Also, regarding his rules, that’s fine if it was stated at the outset but if something else was outlined (and Im not sure what the case is in this regard), then he should follow that.

Awesome contest - well done to all participants on a superb collection of 20s! And, of course, the noted perseverance since 2017, through arc-gate and all.  Much appreciation to all involved.

FWIW, I'd concur with sticking to the original approach to judging - could be wrong but wasn't the plan for Inuoe/TCB folk and Ed to decide?  Probably the best way of keeping it as objective as possible... mitigating the inherent IG risks of mate/follower voting, multiple votes per person, when is done done... 

Also a timely reminder of the IG-evo since this contest kicked off...

If memory serves correctly, there were some quite nice prizes for the ajudged winners... is this still the case?

@Maynard Friedman fair enough. point taken. 

... in terms of the statements made at outset, IIRC I think very little was stated around judgement procedures - I know my personal preference is for judge-panel of tcb and regiment ... for fairness and all...

[as a numeric exercise thinking 'whose comp is this?': it looks like out of the 54 who started the first leg of the comp. [pre-arc-gate] 24 were sufu (so a bigger amount of IG to begin the first stage - not sure of numbers once jeans were remade from the ashes...) ... of the 18 final completions posted here; 14 are fairly regular sufu updaters... as said above - I'm not seeing a hidden reservoir of IG final pairs via the relevant hashtag - sufu perseverance ftw!] 

and yesyesyes @MJF9 - fades mean prizes! Ed was trying to give them away already earlier in the thread! 

yeah guys, Inoue has seen the comments here and figured out some of us are skeptical. I am skeptical too, in fairness. I like the idea of jeans being judged by a final submission of circa 10 pics in total. He should post 180 posts on instagram.. It doesn't make any sense.
I will talk him into having the winners picked up by a panel of judges.

I have no idea how busy/active the Japanese fraction in the other media is/was.

I would understand if after the FC issue the contest became lacklustre to some, or if the non-Japanese character of the contest made it less appealing, or that the resulting fades may simply not be good enough.

does Ed have an opinion?

my offer to ship the pants still stands - TCB could exhibit the pieces and ask their internal team or their customers to vote...

Edited by Foxy2

Hello everyone!  What do you think about the processing of captured images?  Because the color changes depending on the shooting time, weather, climate, indoor, outdoor, and camera type, it is difficult to take a photo close to the actual photo.  I don't think you need to do anything with the faded image of jeans.  And I don't do it.  It is difficult to take a picture.:wacko:

On 10/24/2019 at 6:07 AM, Nayuta said:

Hello everyone!  What do you think about the processing of captured images?  Because the color changes depending on the shooting time, weather, climate, indoor, outdoor, and camera type, it is difficult to take a photo close to the actual photo.  I don't think you need to do anything with the faded image of jeans.  And I don't do it.  It is difficult to take a picture.:wacko:

Yeah, we should have agreed on light conditions for pictures, "only photos taken at ~ 5000 lux are permissable" :D

I think light processing is fine, since it's necessary to get similar colors between pictures. It's not really possible to make sure no one over-processes his pics unless you only allow RAW files being handed in with the judges developing the RAWs ;) 

On 10/23/2019 at 3:07 PM, nycsurfer530 said:

^second... I also still wear mine on occasion and don’t want to get rid of them

at this point I wouldn't part with 'em... granted, I was way too heavy and had pretty much resolved that I'd be that way the rest of my life. I didn't feel heavy I just didn't feel healthy. I didn't intend to lose weight I just wanted to feel better. Losing 5"-6" in the waist literally makes everything fit wrong and although I may not have the "most wear" I've managed to keep wearing them. With the increased flexibility/mobility I've gained in the process I've gone from being unhappy with the fit to truly appreciating it... so no way, these TCB20s are MINE! :blink2:

On 10/24/2019 at 5:07 AM, Nayuta said:

Hi @Nayuta! I personally don't process my images: mostly they are from iPhone or from a dslr camera on 'program' (automatic) setting; this already involves a lot of automatism and processing anyway.

The biggest factor, as you have alluded to, is the light: a picture taken indoors with artificial light will come out yellow (unless you have worked on the white balance of the camera), a picture taken outside with strong direct sunlight will emphasise the whiteness of any fade but eradicate any mid-tones (and thus any subtle elements), a picture taken with an indirect natural light source tends to work best: a cloudy day with the clouds acting as a natural diffuser is a good time... this is why the photographers Bernd and Hilla Becher work all looks the same in each shot; they are fastidious about the light in which they shoot...

playing with colour balance etc. in postproduction is generally best once you have already got a good picture 'in camera' - then the postproduction can enhance whatever is there, it is not trying to add it there after the fact...

[for the record; I try to shoot from the same spot for any detail shot - a particular window ledge with indirect natural light from the side - to get uniform and consistent pictures across the contest time period...]