Happy Jeans - Tcb 20s contest thread

Happy New Year!! Great updates and glad to see the jeans in everyones hands! It's always interesting to me how international superfuture is, living in NYC I see selvedge denim often but rarely the true denim elite that we hold ourselves to here on sf. I wish i had more time and a better camera too for more updates but ive been busy working and just lazy haha. 

i feel honored to have my posts reposted by inoue on instagram although i am not the best at social media. i also wish i got my jeans shorter but ive only done the initial hot wash and tumble dry so there may be more shrinkage for me in the future. Ive been trying to hold out on washing until March? or something. Uncle Karl is an inspiration for not washing for me and I want to win this damn thing afterall. 

Man you guys were right about the jeans stretching a ton, I've had to take the cinch in twice already. 
Probably going to give them another hot wash and maybe a trip through the dryer next time.
Also how are you guys situating your cinch? I've never had a pair of cinch back jeans before and I've been playing around with different setups.

37 minutes ago, Broark said:

Man you guys were right about the jeans stretching a ton, I've had to take the cinch in twice already. 
Probably going to give them another hot wash and maybe a trip through the dryer next time.
Also how are you guys situating your cinch? I've never had a pair of cinch back jeans before and I've been playing around with different setups.

How many wears are you at? I am REALLY hoping to get this stretch that you are all talking about. Mine fit very good in the waist right now, but it would make tucking in some of my shirts a lot easier if it opened back up

amazing post @Uncle Karl! I do love a good chainsaw!

any update or post is a good one @not too tight looking forward to see how they develop. tbh, it was the stories of that secondary length shrink that got me washing mine at approx 2 month mark to make sure fading lines didn't go astray post-wash: to confirm my routine: i did initial super hot soak followed by 40 degree celsius wash to get shrink out (following @volvo240thebest's most excellent routine) and then recently washed at 30 degree celsius: and not too much extra shrink at all (everything matches up - and weirdly the waist feels yet looser still!) and now the denim feels less soft with a bit more roughness...

@Broark fwiw, i wear the cinch fully tightened over the top of the belt hoop and then with a small belt...

for me, a situating update: the anti-thesis of rugged wood cutting lumberjackery: I am at British Library, with No.1 daughter [in hand me down chore coat - keeping it in the family!], me reading theory on logic in psychoanalysis and the humor-horror interplay of bakhtin's carnivalesque as read via fashion by francesca granata, she mugging up on quantum mechanics [the real serious stuff]... happy days...

edit: apologies for the racy book cover, but image, hugo van der goes', the fall of 1479, does point to that moment i carped on earlier; clothing is the aftermath of knowledge...

& bonus shot of higonokami as reading aid...

001.png

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6283.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6284.JPG

IMG_6288.JPG

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

13 hours ago, not too tight said:

Ive been trying to hold out on washing until March? or something. Uncle Karl is an inspiration for not washing for me and I want to win this damn thing afterall. 

c'mon @not too tight wash those jeans. I regret having washed mine that early as I now see you bunch of dirty boys getting too much contrast. I do want to win this thing too :D

Speaking of that... where is Sir @Paul T ??? I guess he's hiiding himself from the contest thread, waiting to post here in a month with some filthy dirty contrasty jeans! Probably he's sanding the whiskers too haha!

@MasonAlexander give it 6/10 days, the jeans will stretch more.

@Broark I fasten the cinch under the belt loop, this way I don't loose the full functionality of the belt.

@Uncle Karl makes the coolest posts in this thread, what an acquisition for this contest! A Japanese lumbersexual haha!!! :D (hope google translate will make sense of my joke)

Lots of terrific updates here. Foxy, definitely jealous of your Scottish sojourn! Uncle Karl, what a mensch!

We had a slightly manic break. Cold snap in London. Then a trip to Cardiff for me to wear a posh hat. We stayed fairly near the Uni campus in a town called Pontypridd, which I thought would be rural and charming. I was wrong. The photo of the sun coming up over the Betting Shop is about the most scenic view there is. Cardiff itself is gorgeous, though. It's also on one of the most scenic rail routes on Britain, much of it built by Brunel.

Sadly I didn't get to keep the doctoral hat. I'm told it's bad form to wear it around the pub, or the park, which is a real shame.

Hat.jpg

dawnoverBetfred.jpg

glassworks.jpg

sunset.jpg

sunset2.jpg

sunset3.jpg

Edited by Paul T

2 hours ago, Paul T said:

Greenwich itself has been very beautiful over this season. Although one of the most beautiful sights is definitely the Giuletta Sprint Speciale owned by a neighbour. The only car that's most attractive than a P1800 I reckon . The doorway is of a house in Spitalfields where I headed in search of Christmas presents.... this is a properly restored house!

giuletta.jpg

Giuletta2.jpg

I have to say, besides reliability, comfort and running cleaner (not to discount these features at all) but cars made these days do not compare to the cars of yesteryear.  So much more style.  

Happy new year and sorry about the lack of updates! I'm still wearing the jeans almost every day, just a lot of catching up to do at work after taking the whole month of December off. I feel nice and rested though. 

When I traveled back to Oslo after Christmas my suitcase wheel broke and I had to carry the 20kg+ thing for 15 minutes. It has a coarse surface that made quite an impact on my right hip, the train tracks are really something right where the suitcase rubbed against me when walking. Hopefully the rest of the jean will catch up eventually. 

Common things to people posting here are: "there is love there", "love for food", "love for cars", "love for nature", "love for buildings", "love for family" ... There is "TCB 20's" in such loving-filled life. Too wonderful! !

Edited by Uncle Karl

On 1/2/2018 at 8:16 PM, not too tight said:

It's always interesting to me how international superfuture is, living in NYC I see selvedge denim often but rarely the true denim elite that we hold ourselves to here on sf.

at least it's something, my wife laughs when I refer to South Florida as "the place that denim comes to die"... seriously it's pretty much like a post from "the ugliest jeans in the world" thread came to life down here, or it's all diesel-esque pre-made fades and wear in the wrong places

8 hours ago, Uncle Karl said:

Common things to people posting here are: "there is love there", "love for food", "love for cars", "love for nature", "love for buildings", "love for family" ... There is "TCB 20's" in such loving-filled life. Too wonderful! !

you've totally nailed it!! (how appropriate for a carpenter) I've found myself marveling at how despite socio-political differences, millions of miles, and even language barriers we've got such an amazing community... I certainly feel like everyone on this journey together has become an "extended family" of sorts and I sincerely look forward to updates from this thread!

Tonight I went out for a bite at Tugg, one of Gothenburgs many hamburger joints. This was probably the best one I've tried since moving here. 

Bonus hazy church and hazier denimhead in TCB 30's jacket. Oh yeah, I spoiled myself with a ranchman shirt so I can rock the full suit again.

IMG_5730.thumb.JPG.0fbc1fe72f44b1d36938f4e4497230d6.JPGIMG_5727.thumb.JPG.333b345b24b0efa9faf445a75196c2cc.JPGIMG_5719.thumb.JPG.a9d3d05277b1ba11dd26848331e293f2.JPGIMG_5725.thumb.JPG.6e64b6d38907a54d9c0609e4c92586d6.JPG

Gonna go park this right in the middle of the street where Volvo takes his fit pics and see how he reacts...

all jokes aside, had to drive this Fiat for 2 hrs to my brother in laws house because he had shoulder surgery. Can’t say one of these would be my first choice for Bay Area traffic but if I lived In a country that embraced the peasant lifestyle a bit more  then I would consider 

59309757-6CBB-4A6F-9556-A230AAD88B63.jpeg

quick postwash fitpix suspended with layering (with strange knees...)

w. usual wonky lvc type i & grensons

& for insulation and element resistance: a trio of barbour carhartt and glen cree mohair

& then cone (right) and tcb (left) denim comparison

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6307.JPG

IMG_6312.JPG

IMG_6329.JPG

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

and then, following Uncle Karl's observation of love for things

and following @Cucoo and @volvo240thebest's joining in with shadow play

to share some love for shadows of photographers

delivered to you in chronological order

lee friedlander (1965) francesca woodman (1976) robert frank (1993) nigel shafran (2015)

perhaps in sympathy with the symbolist logic of evocation over description & abridgement and distortion over synthesis and resolution

such is stephane mallarme’s principle, given in 1891

“…as far as content is concerned… there must only be allusion…”

and then listen to paul verlaine from 1874

“For we still want nuance / Not colour, nothing but nuance! / Only nuance affiances / Dream to dream and the flute to the horn” / … / “Seize eloquence and wring its neck!”

&&& then finally some games with language by mallarme turning instrumental language into poetic form... (three postal addresses shared here) 

lee friedlander 1965.png

francesca woodman 1976.png

robert frank 1993.png

nigel shafran 2015.png

Mallarme three addresses.jpg

5 hours ago, aho said:

Not sure if you all follow the instagram tag as often as I do, but Nayuta-san is killing it:

oh my word! that is beyond killing it! thanks for sharing - havent been IGing for a while: nayuta-san will crush all with the power of laundry-pasted fades! she seems to be total tcb hard-core! nice!

@MasonAlexander congrats and good luck with the move!