Happy Jeans - Tcb 20s contest thread

I'm lacking in fit pictures! They've definitely slimmed up a bit though after my countless washes (wouldn't be surprised if I'm over 20+ at this point but I don't track and that may be an exaggeration), and even the rise has settled comfortably for me to where I don't need suspenders after all. Either way, I think Uncle Karl may be the coolest dude ever, so glad we have all the new competitors on board and posting on sufu (at least Uncle Karl is!)

20+ is just insane, no?

Here's mine after an initial 40° and a 60° wash after 39 wear days. They definitely lost more inseam and they're definitely not at my desired post-shrink length by now - if they didn't look so comparatively slim I'd be really bothered by that but with the way they look a smaller cuff is fine. Patch made it through the 60° wash just fine, only the stamped numbers suffered.

The other thing bothering me is the tiny back pockets, my wallet keeps sliding upwards between sitting and standing.

Don't get any wrong ideas though, I'm still enjoying them very much :) The denim feels like it opened up a bit more after it hit water a second time and the indigo loss is simply unbelievable at this early stage.

2017-12-19_12_32_03.jpg

I spent some time in japantown in SF and had some incredible ramen at marafuku ramen! I didn’t have my camera so I didn’t take too many photos

i also picked up a pair of oak street penny loafers- my first pair of loafers and kinda liking the look.

BE9118BE-9FE5-4651-9B7B-41218DEE8902.png

B8115B79-A667-480F-A230-B901F2AB7B56.jpeg

82C1CF8F-B6B2-44DE-BE44-15D65BD6302F.png

^Tasty looking ramen right there!

I've been slacking with updates lately. I'm going home to the woods of Volvo 240 kids and moonshine to spend Christmas and New Years in a few days. Hopefully I'll have some more fun stuff to share by then.

Really enjoying the contest so far though. Great activity and man, these jeans are really nice. These 18 months will fly by so fast.

21 hours ago, Uncle Karl said:

Is a kitchen knife in Japan? Moreover, it looks like '' Tosa cutlery '' of '' Japan Kochi '' where I live!

7 hours ago, Uncle Karl said:

It is a tool that I love. Chisels, planes, hammers, deposits, saws, electric saws, electric drivers ... I take care of them very much.

2B05433F-15A7-45DF-BEB0-95F505A2C0FC.jpeg

B97380BF-8EDE-47C2-A011-F49A3D4770FE.jpeg

CCCD4DF0-B62B-4907-A881-D36E369301C1.jpeg

8251FF09-2F59-4FE3-AB1F-411744151354.jpeg

A609D90C-0DFD-4DE3-8825-DF7C871E4FBE.jpeg

E417ADF1-F4DD-49FF-B528-D2BE6D968DD1.jpeg

63E9F702-999D-423F-BAEE-95C8E1D7947E.jpeg

B31D4112-E7F1-4C99-A46A-4A87F646558B.jpeg

9833083F-7DF7-48B7-9C1A-67CAD1978808.jpeg

Yes, it is a japanese kitchen knife. I am not sure of the make of that one. But, yes it is a nakiri in a kurouchi finish...

I have these - a funayaki and a sabaki - which are made by the esteemed blacksmith Murata Takeo, who is from Kochi region. Amazing knives I recommend to all!

And thank you so much for sharing images of your craft and tools: I have the greatest respect for japanese steel edged tools and for all carpentry / furniture making. 'Measure twice, cut once' is a principle to live by!

Plus: I love your hat and patch! great style Karl!

IMG_5803.jpg

IMG_5804.jpg

IMG_5805.jpg

3 hours ago, Cucoo said:

Here's mine after an initial 40° and a 60° wash after 39 wear days. They definitely lost more inseam and they're definitely not at my desired post-shrink length by now - if they didn't look so comparatively slim I'd be really bothered by that but with the way they look a smaller cuff is fine. Patch made it through the 60° wash just fine, only the stamped numbers suffered.

fit seem to be improved. no more knee bags! and that's exactly the inseam length I'd like for my pair. Is it a single cuff?

3 hours ago, Cucoo said:

The other thing bothering me is the tiny back pockets, my wallet keeps sliding upwards between sitting and standing.

ditto, my wallet keeps falling over the pocket when sitting, very often, and I don't use a big wallet. Same with the phone in the other pocket. It's annoying, I should send Inoue a dead horse head.

1 hour ago, nycsurfer530 said:

i also picked up a pair of oak street penny loafers- my first pair of loafers and kinda liking the look.

82C1CF8F-B6B2-44DE-BE44-15D65BD6302F.png

so how's the weather in San Francisco now? I'm freezing in Italy, can't believe you're wearing sockless mocs.
speaking of shoes I should receive back my White's semidress and Sanders loafers tomorrow after a resole job. Pretty excited about the White's, they'll have new soles by Dr Sole, and I think they'll be perfect with the 20s...

^ he made it! Welcome compà. So glad to have another spaghetti man onboard. And your English is phenomenal! :D

please photos of the Ape once you're back home, hope it will give @bobbo motivation to scout some peasant swedish Volvo modified A-Traktor!

19 minutes ago, volvo240thebest said:

so how's the weather in San Francisco now? I'm freezing in Italy, can't believe you're wearing sockless mocs.
speaking of shoes I should receive back my White's semidress and Sanders loafers tomorrow after a resole job. Pretty excited about the White's, they'll have new soles by Dr Sole, and I think they'll be perfect with the 20s...

its chilly but by no means cold... 45-65 degrees F

By the way, for all latecomers:
your jeans arrived this morning (about 18 hrs ago Italy time) in Manila. they're in the safe capable hands of the reliable colleagues of the most unreliable asian Charles Bronson.
I hope they will soon send them over with DHL, so you can start sanding down your pairs and apply generous coats of starch to catch up with the rest of the crew!

Well yes, the Ape is the official Italian peasant vehicle.

APES_032.jpg

To the volvo uninitiated, the A traktor is a short wheelbase transformed pickup limited to 30km/h allowed by anyone who is over 16 to drive. Usually terribly modified.

Fine example:

aabde3f3bb12cc4e5659e8cbec8e5ee8.jpg

Tacky example:

2584744.jpg

Bartleby could probably write a few chapters of an essay on Scandinavian design on this matter with a little research.

Edited by volvo240thebest

10 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

fit seem to be improved. no more knee bags! and that's exactly the inseam length I'd like for my pair. Is it a single cuff?

ditto, my wallet keeps falling over the pocket when sitting, very often, and I don't use a big wallet. Same with the phone in the other pocket. It's annoying, I should send Inoue a dead horse head.

Thanks, yes, fit is very pleasing overall.

It's a small folded cuff since I wanted to show off the insane hem roping. The length is manageable, I just prefer my cuffs to sit right on top of my shoes with a small break when I'm standing ;)

9 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

Well yes, the Ape is the official Italian peasant vehicle.

APES_032.jpg

I loved those things so much as a kid. Somewhere there is a photo of me exactly like this one from when I was 7 or 8 years old :D I remember a vacation where one was always parked on the way from the apartment to the nearest panetteria and I checked it out every morning when my dad and me got breakfast. 

Edited by Cucoo

15 hours ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

はい、日本の台所用ナイフです。私はそのことを確信していません。しかし、はい、それは黒い仕上げのナキリです...

高知県出身の尊重された鍛冶屋の村田武雄さんが作った、お土産や酒蔵です。私はすべてにオススメの素晴らしいナイフ!

あなたの工芸品や工具のイメージを共有してくれてありがとう、私は日本の鉄鋼製の刃物とすべての木工/家具作りを最大限尊重しています。「2度測定、1度カット」は生きる原則です!

プラス:私はあなたの帽子とパッチが大好きです!素晴らしいスタイルのカール!

I also enjoy sharing with you. Thank you! !

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Any chance we can get tracking numbers?

I guess so, you didn't order through me so I have no idea if you provided Jason/Kevin your phone/email. Others should receive authomatically their tracking info from the DHL platform. Try to get in touch with Jason.