Happy Jeans - Tcb 20s contest thread

8 hours ago, garden gnomes in space said:

does not compute, system failure imminent...

(sorry Br0ark, jokes...)

giphy.gif

:P Well it was more of a Route 66 road trip, we started in DFW, drove west to the Grand Canyon and circled back through Arizona and New Mexico. Spent a few days on a dude ranch and in San Antonio, too.

Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.69d7bbbe7e701c8517a006cfc7d5529b.PNG

8 hours ago, Broark said:

I live in Austin which isn’t really Texas anyways. ;)

All I've seen of Austin was the bats and In'n'Out Burger, really wish we could've stayed longer - but outlet shopping en route took up an whole unplanned day :D

Anyways, hopefully I can take the 20s on our next three week USA road trip which will probably take place in the first half of 2019 - west coast this time I think...

12 minutes ago, nycsurfer530 said:

I don’t think it is. For his contest pair he used the hashtag #tcb20scontest but the post above had no such hashtag. 

correct that's Karl first pair of 20s.

BTW he's helping me to track down all the Japanese contestants and he said he will start posting on this thread soon...I'll soon update the contestant list.

I'm curious to see how this coin pocket develops over time. I recently noticed that I'm not seeing the same kind of lightning bolt that the 60s tend to develop. It seems that in order to include the hidden selvedge ID the coin pocket fabric is running the same direction as everything else (unlike the 60s, which seems to rotate the swatch of fabric 90 degrees, hence the bolt). Is that right? Or is this bolt more a consequence of the roping that develops along the stitch at the top of the pocket and not the direction of fabric?

IMG_2677.JPG

Edited by MileHighEvertonian

10 hours ago, nycsurfer530 said:

I don’t think it is. For his contest pair he used the hashtag #tcb20scontest but the post above had no such hashtag. 

9 hours ago, volvo240thebest said:

correct that's Karl first pair of 20s.

BTW he's helping me to track down all the Japanese contestants and he said he will start posting on this thread soon...I'll soon update the contestant list.

Good call, thought it was real...

@aho Marbled goodness, need to nuke em also on the next wash schedule then :)

1 hour ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

I'm curious to see how this coin pocket develops over time. I recently noticed that I'm not seeing the same kind of lightning bolt that the 60s tend to develop. It seems that in order to include the hidden selvedge ID the coin pocket fabric is running the same direction as everything else (unlike the 60s, which seems to rotate the swatch of fabric 90 degrees, hence the bolt). Is that right? Or is this bolt more a consequence of the roping that develops along the stitch at the top of the pocket and not the direction of fabric?

IMG_2677.JPG

I was under the impression it was more to do with the stitch and not having the selvedge part on the top. I could be wrong though. 

I would think it depends on a few things - basically, there are 3 layers of fabric (not counting additional layers due to folded seams) and 2 different types of fabrics (denim, pocket fabric). those 2 fabrics were assembled raw and have different washing shrinkage (fabric to fabric, but also weft to warp) - for sure the coin pocket on the 1920's model is cut along the weft and the small denim patch that is patched onto the top part of the pocket fabric (forming the pocket entry) as well (to align with the coin pocket and probably for historic accuracy). now the 2 layers of denim (pocket entry patch and coin pocket) should have similar shrinkage (denim often does not shrink evenly in one lot - shrinkage values often only represent averaged values), but they are sewn onto the pocket fabric (which might shrink differently and the overall pocket part is attached to the main leg panel and the waistband.
all of this will create enough interplay to form excess fabric and tension in certain spots for something that is perfectly flat and aligned directly after assembly when raw.

what happens to these areas of excess fabric and tension and how the darts/folds are formed should further depend on one's individual pattern of wear and tear (how you sit, how you move, how you use your pockets, etc.), the fit of the jeans and the washing regime.

for sure there are different stitch types, stitch length, seam tension and thread types involved that enhance certain aspects.

My 20s are enjoying a nice quiet evening at the local watering hole 

20s featuring denim & supply blanket shirt and red wing brogue rangers. 

Seeing aho makes me want to wash them, but I will at least wait out the first 30 days, got some promising early lap fades. They indeed crock fast but I'm also wearing them a lot. My normal routine is to wear jeans for the work day and take them off once I get home to change into sweat pants or a secondary pair, haven't done that with them yet because they're so comfy, so they got more miles of playing with my toddler or sitting on my ass watching Netflix or playing video games than other jeans got. 

I may even do yard work in them on the weekend! 

DSC_2988.JPG

DSC_2989.JPG

1 hour ago, not too tight said:

I did the Levisication as well my pair. I noticed as I unpicked that the left over arcs are one stitch and the "full count" looking parts are another, almost as if they were meant to be unpicked.

Good to know! I’ve been debating about unpicking them. 

2 hours ago, erk said:

Man I hope my pair shows up soon. Can’t stop living vicariously. 

If we are the Leisure Class I wonder what our wives are wearing?

maybe we should post a picture of of their typical outfits to document similarities or difference to our tour gear...