Happy Jeans - Tcb 20s contest thread

2 hours ago, mandel9000 said:

It’s really, really, really cold here at the moment, finally an opportunity to break out the North Sea Clothing expedition sweater that I bought on sale a while back. It’s both thick and dense, but still very comfy and non-itchy. Happy with it!

560C08CD-751B-450F-AA39-3EF5852AA57C.thumb.jpeg.60136d1b60d853f12742cbf2352c142f.jpeg

(This was the only photo I managed to take before I heard someone coming down the stairs. I packed up my stuff and ran, embarrassed by the implied narcissism in taking pictures of myself in the early morning. The collar is great, I’ll make sure to show it in a future update.)

Boom! True to size fots like an apc petite standard like my wifes!

15 hours ago, garden gnomes in space said:

BTW, I was never too concerned about the exposed rivets ripping shit up until yesterday when i was sliding around on our floor taking pics of my daughter and her friend and I realized I scratched the shit out of our floor haha

Well, gnomes, perhaps we know what time it is then:

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Paul T said:

LOL! Can't wait to see it. They do look fabulou, altho' I wish they'd produced it in a lighter weight. But something that fades in less than a couple of years would be welcome.

I've worn mine as a blouse, indoors and out, for a full year and I reckon it will be another one or more likely two before it starts to show genuine wear (the light weight, while it gives a different feel, means it creases and crumples significantly less, plus that 1880s Cone denim simply doesn't crock).

yup, 12oz are miles away from 9oz. on the other hand they will nicely pair with contest denim weight wise.
it will take awhile for them to arrive as everything is cut to order by that one-man-brand.

1 hour ago, edmond said:

How much are those bowery blue jackets?!

$480 - seems to fit in right in between Roy and Conners...

22 hours ago, Topgearskin said:

Another 40w checking in. Delighted to get in under the wire.

I went with the 40 vs the 38 to take advantage of the cinch and to a lesser extent I'd potentially be climbing in them for work... I calculated a comfortable thigh measurement and estimated up based on the flexibility I'd need to climb comfortably.

If you look back at my raw, initial soak and second soak measurements I got a load of initial shrink but they're hella stretchy... I should measure 'em after a week or so of wear just to give the "bigger dudes" an idea of what to expect. oh and if you haven't acquired a set of braces/suspenders you might want to set your sights on a pair, a lot of us are beginning to swear by 'em :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Inimitable N! said:

I went with the 40 vs the 38 to take advantage of the cinch and to a lesser extent I'd potentially be climbing in them for work... I calculated a comfortable thigh measurement and estimated up based on the flexibility I'd need to climb comfortably.

If you look back at my raw, initial soak and second soak measurements I got a load of initial shrink but they're hella stretchy... I should measure 'em after a week or so of wear just to give the "bigger dudes" an idea of what to expect. oh and if you haven't acquired a set of braces/suspenders you might want to set your sights on a pair, a lot of us are beginning to swear by 'em :ph34r:

Thanks for the welcome folks and thanks for the tips. I'm interested to see how these fit compared to my various LVC and rising sun "pre war" styles.

just wish they'd arrive!!!

13 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

yup - this one sucks just like the last one did! again, it's in the middle of the week and, much like @volvo240thebest, I have currently scheduled a hot project phase for that week...let's see if things change once we get closer, but I can certainly do the weekend before or after - if Volvo can make it he can stay at our place.

On 2017-11-20 at 7:16 PM, volvo240thebest said:

As usual the selvedge run in Berlin fall right in the middle of the deadlines of the two most difficult funding applications I do for my work, the most hectic time of the year... I'll see what I can do but if I can make it it will be a last minute decision...

Too bad boys, here's to hoping shit works out in the end. Would be a lot of fun for sure. 

2 hours ago, aho said:

^Inimitable: I'm probably just slow if you mentioned earlier, but what's your profession? Do I detect a hint of winning due to wearing these doing actual movement?!

I'm an LED project manager. I work for a large production equipment rental company and spend as much time climbing LED as I do sitting on my butt planning to climb LED!

JWM_55Wx10H_Set-02.thumb.jpg.e99e362f0f27eabe8d3899c08d41084c.jpg

MWC_APA_03.thumb.jpg.3ac1fc8a131e9c282b2b1ac161b30ec9.jpg

I haven't put on my climbing harness (fall protection) with the 20's yet, since the recent stuff has been smaller in scale..  I'm concerned about the suspender buttons will wind up below the pads for the waist belt and do some real damage if I had to rely on it.

5a14ac1db4183_Coachella2016.jpg.628a73de7058f3276afde8c9c57bdd8d.jpg

Damn! That is some nice LED work, though I have no prior knowledge or credentials on the topic. Regardless, your pair will be guaranteed excellent fades. Personally, I'm hoping I get more butt fades than seat scratches what with all the sitting I do all day (Analyst desk job), which is pretty much all I think I'll get with the looser fit.

20 hours ago, Hendsch said:

^lol I could get away with that in a month, would need to hide them from my wife :ph34r:

I recommend the office. Here's part of my colleague's shoe collection, hidden away from his wife.
IMG_1159.thumb.JPG.7d8218ffc7dc4b53d36aee6012c7ce9c.JPG

He just left in the Aldens and took a few other pairs (summer shoes) home. If I had snuck in earlier to take the photo, it would've been more impressive. A former colleague used to store his secret guitars and amps at the office, that was a bit more inconvenient for the rest of us working here. 

Edited by mandel9000
grammar

Great picture - desperate, but not uncommon I guess.
(I would have thought that a shoe obsession is easily tolerated by wives - compared to jeans, looking too much alike.)

They've arrived (*loud cheer*)

there are only a few better text messages than "there's a parcel here for you from Japan"

very impressed so far, will do the traditional fit evaluation in due course. 

Those early contestants (I'd presume) would be pleased to know that Johnny come lately doesn't get the indigo pocket bags, so the twenty are still "the twenty"

doesnt detract for me, really pleased to jump on when I did.

In terms of "gentle dishonesty" a friend of mine came home to a parcel he'd hope to hide from his wife and had to say "I can't tell you what it is as it's your Christmas present" - he then had to find something for his wife from Japan that would deliver in time.

he naturally had it delivered to his work address. 

Thanks, @JDelage! I really like it too, it's just too warm most days. 

46 minutes ago, Topgearskin said:

In terms of "gentle dishonesty" a friend of mine came home to a parcel he'd hope to hide from his wife and had to say "I can't tell you what it is as it's your Christmas present" - he then had to find something for his wife from Japan that would deliver in time.

Off-topic but I should add that the co-worker I just exposed above with the shoes above also collects vintage watches, primarily Omega and Rolex, that he sometimes hides too. One time his wife found a hidden new Rolex and in that moment all he could think of was to say that it was a gift for her. So now she happily wears an expensive and rare wristwatch, none the wiser. 

1 hour ago, Topgearskin said:

That's a quandary! Nb shouts to your avatar - Jackie Mittoo isn't it? That's a great player.

Yeah Jackie mittoo! Love his stuff. Don’t listen to the skatalites much like I did in my high school days but the Jackie mittoo and the soul Bros record and other later Jackie mittoo stuff is undeniable. 

My wife is really understanding. She probably does spend about as much as I do on clothes for work and stuff. That “hey I just bought another pair of expensive pants” conversation is just not the coolest. 

1 minute ago, bartlebyyphonics said:

upvoting on the shame purchase discussion and co-worker exposure!

less about morbid glee and schadenfreude

more havent seen such honesty for while

god bless you all

I have a friend, a really good graphic designer who collects vintage Catalin radios; the house is full of them. He bought many cheap but paid big sums for others. Meanwhile his wife doesn't seem to have that much money for clothes.

I was talking about him to a mutual friend, saying how while having a few radios is great, he took things a bit far... when Lucy, Mrs T, who was at the far end of the room said, "Well, what about you? For instance, how many denim jackets do you have?"  "Only a couple", I replied before, patiently, she itemised every jacket I had, in what location, and I had to admit to each one. It was like being taken apart by an expert prosecution barrister.

So I actually did get permission for the TCBs; didn't need to of course, but it helped purge the guilt. (And I did sell some of the denim jackets)