Happy Jeans - Tcb 20s contest thread

7 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

the buckles are reproductions and cost around $90 - with a plain (embossed) belt these are $140-150 (at this point the price is comparable to some of basic belts form Japanese denim brands) - with studs and workmanship the prices go up significantly...I understand that the belts are produced and assembled in the US.

Yeah, makes sense that way, I didn't know the buckles are that expensive already. I never paid close attention to them but saw comparable ones running for 20-30$ so they seemed really overpriced ;)

14 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

I guess yours got shipped directly (Japan - Philippines makes more sense than Japan - USA - Philippines) - maybe that's what they do for custom orders?

Ace Western Belts is based out of Sendai, all business is done from there; they get the leather from the US, but they're a Japanese brand, so finishing is done there. Not sure where the buckles are made, but they do make the best repro of the '30s style souvenir buckle. 

The leather quality is good, but old-school; leather is thin but not flimsy. I actually prefer this thickness to overly thick belts.  

^ pics or it never happened.

I haven't missed a day yet, I like this cut more than the 50s and 60s, even if the front rise ended to be a bit higher than my usual comfort zone.
I'm curious to see how long I will be able to avoid washes, hopefully I can get at least to jan 2018.

Yet another crap photo, can't seem to fin time to set up a camera for decent fit pics anymore. Pic was taken in a lovely village nearby my place called stella. The house behind me was the birthplace of Sandro Pertini, a legendary partisan during ww2 and President of Italy during the 80s.most Italians remember him as the president who was in charge when Italy won the world soccer championship in 1982.

Just a wee mention about calcio hehe... Better think about the past these days...

Denim jacket is tcb too, 30s.

P_20171116_164055-01.jpeg

I'm aware I haven't posted any fit pictures as initially promised, but so it goes!

As far as washes, I'm 4 deep but will be holding out on any more until it's needed as these things seem to fade REALLY fast, and are among the fastest faders I've experienced. Lots of bleed and crocking from the washer/drier alone, but I'm not looking for any sort of "artificial" fades from the machine so I'll be lessening my wash routine. Will be interesting to see everyone's progress in a few months time!

That said, I need to get a TCB30's jacket, upsized but am concerned on the length proportion wise. My FC type 1 is in a good place, but hugs the body a bit too tight for my liking when buttoned. To think, I went from a size 38, to needing a Japanese size 44 in the past few years.........

Back to the contest jeans, I also haven't missed a day, but am still a bit mixed on the rise. I have suspenders delivering today so hopefully that'll be the cure for my waist comfort issues!

I won't talk too much calcio, got to keep the mood in a good place after dismissing the italians. ;)

Anyways, Here's two pics from the last couple of days. Lots of work and the god damn darkness hit us a while back. Feels like I barely see any sunlight.

The coffee cup motif is a character called Uncle Blue from the old Swedish children's book Uncle blue's new boat by Elsa Beskow in 1942. I got it as a gift when I moved to Gothenburg from a friend, a clear nod to me rocking the denim tux quite often, haha.

The coffee jar is from an old café in Fukuoka that I picked up earlier this summer. The coffee was crap, haha.

Edit: Holy fuck, talk about bad pics and out of focus. Oh well.

IMG_5533.JPG

Last Sunday I went to see a friend play with his heavymetal band called Ambush. Nice with some metal for a change.

IMG_5537.JPG

Edited by Bobbo

agent #19 checking in... 

On 11/16/2017 at 7:25 AM, volvo240thebest said:

^ pics or it never happened.

as per @volvo240thebest proof of said "happening" *all images extracted from the secure server on instagram for your review* 

TCB_20's_Front_01.jpg

TCB_20's_Cuff_01.jpg

TCB_20's_Front_02.jpg

TCB_20's_Suspenders_01.jpg

TCB_20's_Cuff_02.jpg

Edited by Inimitable N!
REQUESTED CONTENT REMOVED!

50 minutes ago, aho said:

I'm aware I haven't posted any fit pictures as initially promised, but so it goes!

As far as washes, I'm 4 deep but will be holding out on any more until it's needed as these things seem to fade REALLY fast, and are among the fastest faders I've experienced. Lots of bleed and crocking from the washer/drier alone, but I'm not looking for any sort of "artificial" fades from the machine so I'll be lessening my wash routine. Will be interesting to see everyone's progress in a few months time!

That said, I need to get a TCB30's jacket, upsized but am concerned on the length proportion wise. My FC type 1 is in a good place, but hugs the body a bit too tight for my liking when buttoned. To think, I went from a size 38, to needing a Japanese size 44 in the past few years.........

Back to the contest jeans, I also haven't missed a day, but am still a bit mixed on the rise. I have suspenders delivering today so hopefully that'll be the cure for my waist comfort issues!

are you rocking the top button undone again?

1 hour ago, aho said:

That's why I'm hesitant for my normal washing regiment. I typically wash every 10 days to 2 weeks. I did two initial machine hot washes with hot tumble dries and was shocked how much indigo loss there was. 

1 hour ago, aho said:

so what's wrong this time.. too big? too small? too low rise?

47 minutes ago, nycsurfer530 said:

That's why I'm hesitant for my normal washing regiment. I typically wash every 10 days to 2 weeks. I did two initial machine hot washes with hot tumble dries and was shocked how much indigo loss there was. 

mmh I felt the same, won't start to wash regularly until the whiskers are set, hopefully they'll set up before the jeans start too smell funky...

2 hours ago, garden gnomes in space said:

are you rocking the top button undone again?

LOL you bet...The spacing between the buttons complicates it a bit though

1 hour ago, volvo240thebest said:

so what's wrong this time.. too big? too small? too low rise?

Not necessarily "wrong", just my body type and oversensitivity getting to me lol...I'm a bit out of the norm though, big gut (38" if measuring at widest point), chicken legs. If I was of more normal proportions, I'd probably be a size 30 given my height. With the higher rise, my body is being cinched off at my widest point. Even with the top button undone and wearing a belt, the belt will still cut me off since it sits at the same level, so I either have to sag, or let it all fly with suspenders which I'm thinking will be key. I blame genetics, but really all just TMI. Either way, I'm NOT dropping out this time! ;D

nice fit volvo, and yup: looking ready for some hooliganism! and love the cuffs as is!

good to see dem fit-px i-N!

good to see commitments cucoo!

good updates all - looking fwd to braces for aho! (feeling you on said sizing: i too am stick with balloon in the middle!)

def. interested to hear about washing strategies: remembering the tour pair (which, yes were different denim, but must surely have been on some par) got blitzed by over-wash...

and iron horse: you bet, I go for Mix's camp over McQueen steez all the way! searching for appropriately epic headwear...

57 minutes ago, aho said:

LOL you bet...The spacing between the buttons complicates it a bit though

Not necessarily "wrong", just my body type and oversensitivity getting to me lol...I'm a bit out of the norm though, big gut (38" if measuring at widest point), chicken legs. If I was of more normal proportions, I'd probably be a size 30 given my height. With the higher rise, my body is being cinched off at my widest point. Even with the top button undone and wearing a belt, the belt will still cut me off since it sits at the same level, so I either have to sag, or let it all fly with suspenders which I'm thinking will be key. I blame genetics, but really all just TMI. Either way, I'm NOT dropping out this time! ;D

daddylonglegs.jpg

all jokes aside, thats the problem i am dealing with now.  luckily these fit without cutting me in two but the high rise of the Ooe contest jeans and me fattening up because I was eating out so much while our kitchen was in construction (drinking red wine didnt help either) almost killed me haha.  Its a lot easier to gain weight than to lose it at this age unfortunately

Edited by garden gnomes in space

feeling in a comparative mood 2day

ol' 555 36w lvc 201 vs. 38w tcb20s 

mostly to examine back pocket size and placement

nothing to prove repro wise (201 is not 501 assuredly)

but interested in sharing the deetz

(i love how the 201 back pockets are practically on the belt hoops)

IMG_4335.JPG

IMG_4339.JPG

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

& to continue my comparative frenzy

current lvc 1915 36w vs tcb20s 38w (tcbs measured with cinch tightened... )

similar pocket placement but different sizes

remarkably close front fly stitching

radically differing suspension aid placement

IMG_4342.JPG

IMG_4343.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

IMG_4347.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

Thank god it's friday. Here's an updated fit pic, with amazingly poor lighting, after little over one week of wear. Love 'em!

Now I'm off to see a Swedish garage rock duo called Pale Honey. Apprently Iggy Pop gave them a stamp of approval in his BBC radio show some weeks ago. They are playing at at Pustervik, a classic joint that all the sailors and harbor workers in Gothenburg used to frequent back in the days.

fit pic 171117.jpg

hopefully sunday I'll have a couple hours for some nerdy denim photography. I feel it's time to do my share of scientific speculation...
it's a tough time work wise, my festival director job contract will expire at the end of the year and I'm dealing with a rug merchant style negotiation for the next 3yrs contract...

Good luck with that, Volvo!

Followed your earlier tipps on cheap suspenders and got some Czech army ones, 14€ incl. shipping, can't complain, even if the fake leather feels... fake ;) 

I don't think I've ever worn suspenders (at least as an adult) and certainly not with a pair of pants/jeans that's meant for them (i.e. has dedicated buttons). Feeling them over the shoulders takes a bit getting used to but I definitely like that it makes the jeans sit where they're supposed to without a belt digging into my gut (seems like a good excuse to drink more beer, heh). Also, I think the 20s make for a nice butt when they don't sag :D

All in all a good option under a shirt or vest (not feeling hipster enough to wear them "openly", normally I don't give much of a damn about what other people think but somehow suspenders is pushing it. Even if it's in style and not with rubbish clip-on ones.)

Enjoy shitty pics and a look at my love handles :D

DSC_2763.JPG

DSC_2767.JPG

2 hours ago, Cucoo said:

All in all a good option under a shirt or vest (not feeling hipster enough to wear them "openly", normally I don't give much of a damn about what other people think but somehow suspenders is pushing it. Even if it's in style and not with rubbish clip-on ones.)

I know the feeling! although I'm pretty used to 'em at this point and have managed a wear or two on the outside...

mine certainly look a bit wider and the duck surely makes 'em heavier, getting used to that "extra bulk" has been the strangest part. we'll see how it goes when I've gotta climb in 'em...