top five reasons you hate urban outfitters

grady

word. I really really don't like vintage tees at all anymore. even Barking Irons and all that.

"vintage" t's were played out for a while now. anyone i see sifting thourgh piles of "Less Cowbell!" and "Keepin' it Reel" (picture of a man fishing) automatically get the evil eye from me. that shit is so tired.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

top reason i HATE urban outfitters:

the people that shop there think they're sooo alternative and indie and different, when in fact, they are, bottom line, shopping at a chain store that carries mass-produced merchandise. i mean, i don't call a store that has a location in boise, idaho alternative or cool. i call it...over.

top reason i LOVE urban outfitters:

i can walk into a store and have plenty of people to make fun of. going to uo is a confidence booster, people! i can see lame emo-hipster-wannabe-alt tweens and just feel superb that i'm better than all those people.

you think youre somehow enlightened because you would rather shell out extra dollars to kiss a designer's ass and rock their clothes? like wearing a comme des garcons blazer will somehow delineate you as more unique than somebody who shops at urban. besides that being the most glaringly inept of reasonings, some people would actually argue they are somehow above all the "unethical" things urban purports to do. grow up, dudes, there's blood on everyone's hands, including the mom-and-pop operations you patronize. i liken any of you that are decrying "mass fashion" to ranty high-schoolers who don't understand the bigger pictures of fashion, fashion history, and commerce in general.

it's ok to dislike a store's creative direction, but to lump its clientele off as less informed or stylish than you is just elitist and idiotic.

and what are you mister righteous-love-everybody-neverbeelitist? please man get over yourself. dont act like you've never been annoyed by the lack of any fashion knowledge from people that work at Urban Outfitters. youre in a forum where the majority of these people keeps up with worldly fashion and shops higher end for a reason. I'll admit, i find nice things at Urban Outfitters from time to time, despite the fact that most of the clothes they sell are just straight up bonkers. Call me a hypocrite but what annoys me the most are the hipster kids who act all elitist by wearing a pair of BDG skinny jeans. I shop higher end because 1) I can, 2) they look better, 3) because i thoroughly enjoy fashion in general. so before you go off actin all righteous tellin people to stop bein elitist and what not, think about where you are first and you must really be kidding yourself to say you love hipster kids goin around talkin about how they know fashion.

where the majority of these people keeps up with worldly fashion and shops higher end for a reason.
what annoys me the most are the hipster kids who act all elitist by wearing a pair of BDG skinny jeans. I shop higher end because 1) I can, 2) they look better, 3) because i thoroughly enjoy fashion in general.

wow how old are you? 16?

because you shop "higher end" does not elevate your taste by default. exclusivity and attainability have no relation whatsoever to style. if you are defined by your clothes, you're pointing to a pretty shallow personality right away. the labels you probably adore commodify as relentlessly as all the stuff you'd find at the store, and plant you firmly into the hipster demographic you seem to think you're outside of. how can you say you enjoy fashion when you seem to have a very surface understanding of what it really is?

yeah im 21 and i never said i dress "unique". thats not why i buy expensive clothes. I buy expensive clothes cuz they tend to fit better. especially with jeans, the fit is much better than cheaper jeans. And no i dont wear Supreme. And for one, i never said i wear higher end clothes to elevate myself as a more fashionable elitist. And like i said before, the reason i get bothered by peopel that work and wear stuff from urbanoutfitters is due to THEIR elitisism. Kids these days seem to think buying things from Urban automatically makes them some kind of fashion guru and yes, im not a fashion guru, never claimed to be, but i admit, im guilty of being an elitist when it comes to clothes. and im almost positive every single person on this forum is guilty of that.

and yes youre right, i dont have a very deep knowledge of wat fashion is...i do what i can by keeping up with new lines that come out from designers.

and touche on the "what are you 16 years old?"

have you heard of a tailor? just saying. if you're that concerned about fits, and know so much about fashion, you'd know you can get any pair of pants tailored. also, i think i'll just stop speaking on this now, because i think the point is lost on you if you keep insisting that everyone on this forum thinks like you, but -- you are generalizing about the people who patronize urban outfitters. if you want to engage in a meaningful debate, and at least prove that you are some what credible, you wouldn't come to the table with bullshit "us versus them" generalities like that. good luck with your life.

man...somebodys real mad..YOU MAD?! calm down buddy its just a forum and did you just not read 5 pages of why peopel DONT LIKE UrbanOutfitters? I was speaking along those lines... and why would i take a pair of 30$ BDG jeans to a tailor and spend 50$ to get them to fit nicely....? and yes i do get my jackets tailored to fit well since im a moderately small bodied asian kid. but really, dont be so angry...theres no reason to be.

no point misconstruing anger with a solid counter point. i think a thread that lasts 5 pages, basically blasting a store and its clientele, is painting a really sad painting of what this forum is about at its core. i'm making a point against all these people and saying: you are not better than the clerks or shoppers at urban. you are not above them stylistically or ethically. once you get more informed about what fashion is, and maybe life in general, you'll see there's no point drawing lines like that and declaring yourself a better side.

you happened to speak out, so i addressed you directly.

ps - tailoring a pair of pants should not cost you over 20 bucks with even the most competent tailor.

no point misconstruing anger with a solid counter point. i think a thread that lasts 5 pages, basically blasting a store and its clientele, is painting a really sad painting of what this forum is about at its core. i'm making a point against all these people and saying: you are not better than the clerks or shoppers at urban. you are not above them stylistically or ethically. once you get more informed about what fashion is, and maybe life in general, you'll see there's no point drawing lines like that and declaring yourself a better side.

you happened to speak out, so i addressed you directly.

ps - tailoring a pair of pants should not cost you over 20 bucks with even the most competent tailor.

but realy...im really wondering is it necesary for you to say we are inexperienced in life cuz we're criticizing a store? and who ever said you know all there is to fashion? fashion is a very subjective topic...you cant say one person has more "knowledge of fashion" than another. so please step off your high stool.

if you can't see the shoddy logic in attacking a store, using the argument that they somehow dumb down fashion as one of your pivot points, i think you automaticallly delineate yourself as being immature. turn that thinking around on itself and think hard about the stores, labels, or people you'd counter urban outfitters with. far more often than not, you'll see the exact same veins of thought and structure. that's what i mean about having a knowledge of fashion, and why yours seems inferior if you jump on this bandwagon. fashion envelops not only garments and marketing, it's about social mores, commodification, financial effectiveness, and other literal, dry things that aren't quite so easy to pluck apart and insult.

thanks for the life lesson. like i said before, i dont claim that i know more fashion than anybody. i buy what i think looks good and i just dont happen to find many things at Urban Outfitters that looks good. Aside from some of their beanies and scarves and their selection of shoes and random jackets....just about everything else i see doesnt appeal to me. But really, who are you to go and say im "inexperienced" in life because i dislike a store?

and yes call me immateur for disliking a store. cuz for one, this thread was all out of good shits and giggles...but what i find much more immateur is that someones generalizing, calling people inexperienced in life and sayin you have more knowledge of life and fashion because you like to act all righteous.

next time dont be so butthurt that some people on a forum dissed on your favorite store.

i think its important at this point i mention i rarely, rarely like anything urban stocks. nor do i see myself ever really shopping there on a regular basis. my personal "style" is different, but i know i'm not above urban -- i like places like uniqlo, h+m, and a ton of other stores that could meet with the exact same bogus accusations.

i think its important at this point i mention i rarely, rarely like anything urban stocks. nor do i see myself ever really shopping there on a regular basis. my personal "style" is different, but i know i'm not above urban -- i like places like uniqlo, h+m, and a ton of other stores that could meet with the exact same bogus accusations.

i love H&M, Gap, Club Monaco, Banana and such...its just good clean clothes which is more or less my style...but it just doesnt appeal to me when stores like Urban put up faux "vintage" tshirts with ridiculous phrases like "Why You Gotta Haiti" or something.

and again, touche with the Nelson Muntz comment. you're really stepping it up

now are you gonna go and criticize people and say theyre inexperienced in life and fashion for dissin on subcultures?

haha i gotta go to sleep soon, dude, but really. nothing personal. good dialogue, i guess.

nobody is gonna argue those urban jokey shirts are stupid, but look - there are going to be a lot of things anybody could argue are dumbing their genre down. the overarching point im trying to make is, cultivating the "us versus them" mentality does nothing, in fashion, or music, or whatever. the trick is learning how to define your viewpoint without resorting to using comparison right off the bat.

some examples, in the same thinking, that might irk you:

- phillipe starck killed furniture design.

- the neptunes and timbaland killed R+B and commercial hip-hop.

- online blogging put the final nail in the coffin of print media credibility.

- the advent microwaves killed serious cooking.

see how nebulous of an approach it is? good for debate, but pointless and flat out wrong to assert as stone cold fact.

• 2 weeks later...

I like urban outfitters because I can get some stuffs really cheap there.

1. They have good sales. You can't beat $5 dollars on all star Converse shoe.

2. Sometimes U.O make something that H&M don''t make: Flannel Plaid shirts I got for $15 dollars. Or basic fitted cardigan for 10 dollars which is cheaper than American Apparel.

I dont think there is any harm in shopping at urban outfitters or at any other stores for that matter, as long as you make the clothes into your own "style".

top reason i LOVE urban outfitters:

i can walk into a store and have plenty of people to make fun of. going to uo is a confidence booster, people! i can see lame emo-hipster-wannabe-alt tweens and just feel superb that i'm better than all those people.

So you go into homeless shelters a lot, huh? Makes you feel better about yourself, since you're such a better person than them, right? Oh, how their raggedy clothes and lack of fashion sense demeans their sensibilities!

Go back inside and think about what you've just said there, Hitler.

On a side note, UO had some wicked cheap Vans recently. I left my wallet at home so I wasn't able to grab any.

Guest StuckOnStupid
So you go into homeless shelters a lot, huh? Makes you feel better about yourself, since you're such a better person than them, right? Oh, how their raggedy clothes and lack of fashion sense demeans their sensibilities!

Go back inside and think about what you've just said there, Hitler.

a-fucking-mazing.

Guest StuckOnStupid

but yeah...if you hate a store you are "to cool to go into", you need to find more important things to hate. fuck it i rack sneakers and shit from there like it's nobody's business. you guys can suck it.