top five reasons you hate urban outfitters

grady

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i almost get violent when i hear someone say " oh my god, new urban outfitters line"

any trend or clothing style that has always bugged me i can trust to see in a window at urban outfitters. BLEH.

my number one reason for hating them is that they are the only place i have found that carries coffee vans sk8=hi's

Beyond the homogenization, blah blah, false edginess, ruining hot chip, etc., UO bugs me because they tease me. Often, when I see the housebrand stuff in their catalogs, I'm like, hey, finally somebody made a nice, unadorned pair of pants/jacket/shirt/whatever for not so much money. Then I go see the stuff in person, and I never buy it. Either the fit is off, or the construction/fabric is crap, whatever. Argh. Honestly, I do this a lot at H+M, too; I get excited by the styling of a piece, then really disappointed at the quality. It's my own stupidity--you get what you pay for, mostly.

Top five reasons I like Urban Outfitters:

1. Their sales are good. Last spring I got a handful of thermals/tshirts/levis cords for like $50 total.

2. My gf looks good in their clothes, and it's cheaper buying her gifts there than at Barney's.

3. Their outerwear selection tends to be good. They usually have a well-edited (though overpriced) rack of vintage leather jackets, and currently have some nice alpha jackets and one badass dunderdon waxed cotton jacket (J44? J8?). I don't think anywhere else reasonably close to me carries dunderdon.

4. They occasionally have some nice kicks, including vans and random adidas/nike. The shoe landscape in DC is pretty weak, so that's nice.

Okay, there were only four reasons.

i went to my first UO yesterday... here are 5 reasons id never go back

1. everyone looked the same, and i dont want to look like them.

2. i saw 1, maybe 2 things i liked, and i wouldnt pay the price they were asking

3. layout of the store was shit. i had to carry a stroller up a big flight of stairs to look at the "edgy" douchebag clothes in the mens section

4. did i say everyone looked like a copy of the same douchebag?

5. its too pedestrian for my elitist sf approved tastes.

1. G-Star Raw

2. "leggings are in!", yeah we get it.

3. BDG

4. the fact that I bought my Spiewak jacket at a hip downtown boutique and found hordes the same thing on a huge rack in the UO men's section.

5. Everyone who made fun of my clothes when I shopped there 3 years ago cant get enough of it now. "Have you heard of Urban Ourtfitters?!?! OMG!" *PUNCH*

but heres the one GOOD thing:

1. Its fun to watch the grungy Seattle hipsters get their style jacked by a chain store and watch them try to one-up to keep ahead of the game. hilarious!

Beyond the homogenization, blah blah, false edginess, ruining hot chip, etc., UO bugs me because they tease me. Often, when I see the housebrand stuff in their catalogs, I'm like, hey, finally somebody made a nice, unadorned pair of pants/jacket/shirt/whatever for not so much money. Then I go see the stuff in person, and I never buy it. Either the fit is off, or the construction/fabric is crap, whatever. Argh. Honestly, I do this a lot at H+M, too; I get excited by the styling of a piece, then really disappointed at the quality. It's my own stupidity--you get what you pay for, mostly.

Top five reasons I like Urban Outfitters:

1. Their sales are good. Last spring I got a handful of thermals/tshirts/levis cords for like $50 total.

2. My gf looks good in their clothes, and it's cheaper buying her gifts there than at Barney's.

3. Their outerwear selection tends to be good. They usually have a well-edited (though overpriced) rack of vintage leather jackets, and currently have some nice alpha jackets and one badass dunderdon waxed cotton jacket (J44? J8?). I don't think anywhere else reasonably close to me carries dunderdon.

4. They occasionally have some nice kicks, including vans and random adidas/nike. The shoe landscape in DC is pretty weak, so that's nice.

Okay, there were only four reasons.

well said

I agree especially on the first thing. also, I look at their website and might see some cool stuff, but they have none of that at the stores. none of the nicer brands.

i dont hate urban outfitters...i will go in one if im walking by it and have time to kill because sometimes (very rarely) they will have an item that is exactly what i have been looking for, and it is usualy on sale. (this is mainly the case for their home decoration type stuff, their clothing selection is almost always garbage)

a couple of years ago i got a weird papasan-style chair for like 60 bucks there and i still have it. it is pretty shit quality (as is all of their self-produced stuff) but still very comfortable.

i only have one reason. the first time i went in there, i was looking for levis capital e and vans. i asked where the jeans were, and not only did they laugh, but when i got down to the jeans section, they said that there was a "new, exclusive, quality denim brand." intrigued, i thought "wow. maybe apc, acne, nudie, SOMETHING!" and the "new, exclusive, quality denim line" was seven for all fuckin mankind.

i only have one reason. the first time i went in there, i was looking for levis capital e and vans. i asked where the jeans were, and not only did they laugh, but when i got down to the jeans section, they said that there was a "new, exclusive, quality denim brand." intrigued, i thought "wow. maybe apc, acne, nudie, SOMETHING!" and the "new, exclusive, quality denim line" was seven for all fuckin mankind.

seven lol when was this?

1. G-Star Raw

2. "leggings are in!", yeah we get it.

i cant stand this whole fucking "bohemian chic" craze.

my girlfriends crazy about it..

Guest Fade to Black
i cant stand this whole fucking "bohemian chic" craze.

my girlfriends crazy about it..

yeah...being on a college campus like Michigan it seems like these days a lot of girls are dressed like this and the dudes are all decked in silkscreened crap with faded bootcut jeans that are way too tight in the thighs and dangle over their ugly ass gym shoes at the ankle.

Im cool with the leggings, etc. actually its pretty much always been sexy as shit to me. Just not when girls with elephant legs do it.

But I reallllllly despise how the whorority girls are sporting the look (that they developed over the summer) and have decided that they are so chic and in and now they have this attitude that is only reserved for hot indy chicks. This is the end of the world.

But I reallllllly despise how the whorority girls are sporting the look (that they developed over the summer) and have decided that they are so chic and in and now they have this attitude that is only reserved for hot indy chicks. This is the end of the world.

i agree completely! any guy with an appreciation for hot indie chicks now has to deal with (w)hordes of cheap greek imitations. it's not right. i'm glad there's someone else who feels this way.

I don't mind the place. I'd rather just be somewhere else.

1. I've never found anything that I would spend money on.

2. Sales folk are too cool for you if you don't look like them.

3. Can't stand some of the music they play. Especially when a worker starts dancing to it.

4. It's like a pilgrimage of bohemian and indie folk. Clones.

5. My girlfriend takes forever in there!

I don't mind leggings. Just none of that footless/cut off stuff.

Ha, I got caught 2 years ago. Was let off with a conselling program.

Word to the thoughts being put forth in this thread. Leggings only look good on eccentric indie-type chicks. If you dance to the latest Fall Out Boy, well fuck you and your leggings.

Counseling? Where'd you get caught/with how much stuff?

psyence: speaking as a pretty devoted indie type guy (music, i mean), i've gotta say. most of the people in uo are NOT true indie folk at all. listening to the OC soundtrack once or buying the latest uo mix cd does not make you indie. These kids are just appropriating the style with no knowledge of where it came from. but i guess that's how it is with a lot of fashion. just don't like seeing it happen with the music i like.

ah, but i do agree with you: urban outfitters "indie" types are clones. as flame said, fuck you and your leggings (or fake band t)