DWC - Final Submissions Thread

Megatron1505

HOLY SHEEEEEEET! 

big thanks to everyone and especially @Megatron1505 and all who made this competition happen. i'd never expected to win anything given the tough competition i was facing. it was definitely all about the journey of the denim than anything else. best of luck to the finalist @nizzel55 @Slowitchu @BigSugar. you can be betting that i'll be keeping my fingers crossed it'll be me! HAHAHA. 

Hell yeah! Winning the lightweight category has made my week! I know the competition was not as intense as the heavyweight division, but it is still a great honor to make it this far! This is going on the fun resume and ever inscribed on the obscure facts about BigSugar....

What!!! I am speechless. This really  made my day. 

It has been two fun years. I would not have an easy time picking out winners from all the beautifully faded pairs. 

On 7/21/2017 at 8:33 AM, garden gnomes in space said:

clearly something is wrong.

On 7/21/2017 at 4:13 PM, bradl said:

Yeah I'd love to hear what the judges had to say, because I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion.

On 7/21/2017 at 9:58 PM, dudewuttheheck said:

I'm thinking contrast and combs was favored over other fading/aging qualities... that's the only way I can make sense of this.

Damn guys? I'm willing to chalk this up to "Different strokes for different folks" but you all seem to suggest conspiracy! 

Personally, Setterman's jeans do not do anything for me. For arguments sake, have you ever seen someone win a denim competition without at least moderate contrast fades/combs? I have not. If you are giving an award for how beautiful the denim ages, ie Warehouse people, then send the awards to the manufacturers in Japan.

Fortunately for us denim dorks, it is not all about the denim, it is about the person wearing the denim achieving the fades. Don't forget this was the lightweight category, meaning that contrast fades are much harder to come by, unlike heavier denim. Are you really that surprised that a higher contrast pair won?

Lastly, everyone can dig on what they want, but take this for what it is, a contest for wearing pants...a ridiculous premise! Have fun with it, and then move on...

Edited by BigSugar

To be honest it would help put everyone at ease to have the judges state how they chose the winner for the lightweight category.

I'm really surprised that Setter didn't win. I guess if the contest was strictly on high contrast fades then I agree with the winner, but their pair does nothing for me personally.

1 hour ago, BigSugar said:

Damn guys? I'm willing to chalk this up to "Different strokes for different folks" but you all seem to suggest conspiracy! 

You're right, taste is subjective and the judges have made their choice. 

Excluding your final submission, you posted five updates during two years, only one of which  was in the final 12 months of the competition. I think what you're experiencing is guys that prefer my jeans and probably are asking themselves "who the hell is this guy?". Personally, with that low of a level of participation and updates (something that we were told from the get go would be taken into consideration come judging time), I don't know why your jeans were even considered.  Is what it is. The opinions i actually care about have been positive here and on instagram, and that's sufficient for me.

Ok, I wasn't going to weigh in on this and was happy to let it pass. However we're now in the second day of debate on this so here's how it is.

I have spoken to setterman privately regarding this, and shared my thoughts privately.

The judges decision is final, I have not and will not ask them to explain it as it is a subjective decision. That's the only way a judge can decide on these contests, there is no formula.

I am sorry that some people feel the result should be different, however please realise that you are reflecting your personal taste, exactly as the judges have.

I do agree with the point regarding participation, with hindsight I perhaps should have personally weighted this against any judgements. That is solely my fault, not judges or competitors.

Any future contests will be judged via vote of registered contestants, who obviously won't be allowed to vote for themselves.

Please let this be an end to the debate, the result stands. 

^pretty sure the registrant votes will still be biased if it's an open competition and not restricted to the same model/brand. if most of the people that enter wear ooe lvc or warehouse you can bet with good odds someone wearing samurai ironheart or nf will not win.

only way to make it fair is too have equal amt of judges from japan europe and north america lol

1 hour ago, HAZARDkid said:

^pretty sure the registrant votes will still be biased if it's an open competition and not restricted to the same model/brand. if most of the people that enter wear ooe lvc or warehouse you can bet with good odds someone wearing samurai ironheart or nf will not win.

only way to make it fair is too have equal amt of judges from japan europe and north america lol

I was going to say that this sounds like an even worse proposition.

I'm a nobody here and as such, would have zero chance of winning if it was judged by participants. 

The point about brands is also an important one to take into consideration on top of that.

If I wore a pair of WH Ranch and someone like Max wore a pair of Warehouse in the same category, who do you think is going to win? Heck, I myself am more inclined to vote for someone whose name and face that I recognize more.

I don't believe that will be the case at all to be honest. I would hope, and sincerely believe, the people would inherently vote for the jeans they feel deserve to win, subjectively to them. Rather than the name they think deserves to win.

I haven't seen any person bias in the three years doing this so far, so I don't see why it would happen now.

If someone is more likely to vote for a name they recognise, over worn jeans they honestly prefer then that is a pretty messed up way to view a denim contest.

Either that or I'm wrong to trust that people in the denim scene are generally honest and good people, who would value participation and personal investment into their denim above voting for a name they know. That thought just seems off to me.

It's a judged contest so it comes down to the taste and criteria of the judges. As i expected high contrast is ranked higher, maybe because it shows more dedication to some or draws more attention. For my personal taste and probably many likeminded users its not that much (anymore) about contrast but achieving a vintage look. The user reps seem to reflect that and i think in a poll among japanese retailers setterman would have killed it.

Im not saying that the wins are not deserved, just that if it wasnt about a fading contest but about the most beautifully faded jeans i would have expected other results. And i personally tried the latter, the choice of denim and washing routine was a result of that. Congrats and thumbs up to everyone - it was a fun time and we got beautifully faded jeans. 

well said @Max Power.  @BigSugar, by no means do I mean to minimize your win.  Its as you said, different strokes for different folks.  I am just honestly surprised at the results.  Today's SuFu values a subtle vintage fade over high contrast and I honestly didnt think it possible for anyone other than Setterman to win, especially since he has been meticulously documenting the fade process for the past 2 years.  My daughter was 1 when he started this and I vaguely remember thinking at a some god awful hour after like 2 hours of sleep that I couldnt wait to see the end results because its always great to see faded Warehouse and by the time the contest was over my kid would have stopped with the sleep fuckery and my life would be at the very least headed back to some form of normalcy.  

2 hours ago, Megatron1505 said:

I don't believe that will be the case at all to be honest. I would hope, and sincerely believe, the people would inherently vote for the jeans they feel deserve to win, subjectively to them. Rather than the name they think deserves to win.

I haven't seen any person bias in the three years doing this so far, so I don't see why it would happen now.

If someone is more likely to vote for a name they recognise, over worn jeans they honestly prefer then that is a pretty messed up way to view a denim contest.

Either that or I'm wrong to trust that people in the denim scene are generally honest and good people, who would value participation and personal investment into their denim above voting for a name they know. That thought just seems off to me.

I said it would be a combination of name and denim brand. People can't be too objective. It's not humanly possible. 

Well, all I can say is that's not my experience of contests so far. Maybe Sufu has moved its tastes on during the contest, but this isn't a Sufu contest, and the judges aren't necessarily going to reflect the changing tastes of Sufu.

well what i find absurd is the debating over who should or shouldn't have won. granted this may sound a little bias as i won something this year. but rewind 2 years ago at the end of the second competition, i thought that i stood quite a good chance at winning but i didn't. fair enough, even though i didn't win, i'd still thoroughly enjoyed the 2 years i spent wearing that pbj. even every now and then, i'd still pull the pair out and wear it when i can..

we're forgetting why these competition started in the first place. the importance is not winning or losing but the experiences that we individually and collectively share while wearing our denim..

On 7/22/2017 at 0:18 PM, setterman said:

You're right, taste is subjective and the judges have made their choice. 

Excluding your final submission, you posted five updates during two years, only one of which  was in the final 12 months of the competition. I think what you're experiencing is guys that prefer my jeans and probably are asking themselves "who the hell is this guy?". Personally, with that low of a level of participation and updates (something that we were told from the get go would be taken into consideration come judging time), I don't know why your jeans were even considered.  Is what it is. The opinions i actually care about have been positive here and on instagram, and that's sufficient for me.

Setterman, your participation was laudable, no doubt. I hear what you are saying with regards to my infrequent posting. I do not recall what was said at the beginning, but regardless I personally abhor excessive posting with dozens of attached photos in message boards like SuFu, and will never participate in a contest to the extent that you have. (Side Note: Many threads are nearly impossible to navigate due to gluttonous posting of photos. Look at what has happened recently with Photobucket and the clutter it has left. Blah. Personally it would be my preference to have only significant changes documented, a cleaner more streamlined approach. Some people want to see how the sausage is made, some do not).

While I can understand the gripe you leveled, this was the 'Denim World Championship', not the 'Denim World Participation Championship'. The best pair (whatever the criteria) should win in the end regardless of level of participation. For the next contest, I wholly support a separate award for "Most Outstanding/Creative Documentation/Participation", though I'm sure I'll never win that category. This aspect of the contest is clearly valued in the community and should be acknowledged, but using it as a threshold for final consideration does not seem right to me. 

(Edit: Some people are taking my comments as being rude, sore winning, or something else negative. That is not my agenda at all. I made light of this whole thing (though it was an inevitable topic of discussion) and there has been some needed discussion regarding transparency, criteria, etc. I chose only to respond to Setterman because the participation issue is something I disagree strongly on. Everything else that has been said is opinion/preference and there is nothing for me to respond to with opinion....)

It might make sense for Mega to start a new thread to discuss possible improvements to the DWC formula so this one can go back to its' original purpose. 

Edited by BigSugar