The Sock Thread

mikecch

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2017 at 8:17 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

My boot socks are knitted by my girlfriend (God bless her :D ). They are really comfy and fit perfectly (of course as they are made for my feet ;) )

32159916875_da9df96152_c.jpg

And some more colors

32041763831_005e7147e9_c.jpg

Looks a bit tight

• 3 months later...

Nice write up. I like your conclusion, too - personally, I cannot see myself ever paying a premium for Japanese socks, since I get sweaty feet easily in anything but merino wool blended socks. So the one thing I can't stand is 100% cotton socks, no matter how well they're made ;) 

The patterns and colors are nice, but if you want actually functional but well-made socks there's smaller Western brands like the German Falke that are affordable and made a lot better than whatever cheap 10-pack you can get at Walmart and the likes. 

All IMO of course.

^ Definitely. Locally here in Australia - being a big producer of wool and other animal fibres - we have fairly good quality wool socks that perform better and are much more practical for work and sports. My fancy cottons socks only see occasional use.

Nice writeup.

I would not pay full price for anonymous ism or chup socks. UK for last few years has had lot of sock makers pop up, but the fashion seems to be more office style with stuff like argyle patterns, which I hate the look of. I wish there was a UK company that makes socks with patterns near the level of anonymous ism and chup.

@Cucoo Might have to try out merino wool socks if they dont make feet sweaty

Cool post Mike! I've said it before, but as far as these types of socks go, the best I've had yet are from Samurai (with Pherrow's running a close second). Both my Anonymous ism and Toys McCoy didn't last as long, especially the Toys one. Looking to try the Superior Labor ones next.

12 hours ago, Geeman said:

but Mikes spot on, a nice to have but not exactly essential 

I'm not in disagreement but of course one could argue that what is really essential? As this is a hobby we may see many things as essential that in fact are not. And I would say that a pair of nice jeans calls for nice socks, boots etc to enhance the combination, that it would be greater than the sum of it's parts.

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2017 at 4:39 PM, mikecch said:

^ Definitely. Locally here in Australia - being a big producer of wool and other animal fibres - we have fairly good quality wool socks that perform better and are much more practical for work and sports. My fancy cottons socks only see occasional use.

What Aussie socks do you buy? I have always bought my wool socks from the US because I struggle to find anything decent and thick here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, deniall83 said:

What Aussie socks do you buy? I have always bought my wool socks from the US because I struggle to find anything decent and thick here.

There are heaps of little local brands...