The Sock Thread

mikecch

Great thread idea; what are your favorite socks?

Personally, the best "fancy" socks I own are from Samurai and Pherrow's. The Toys McCoys ones were a bust, and Anonymousism wasn't bad but certainly a rung below. SOC ones look nice!

Samurai ones are thick, keep their shape well, and are tough as far these kinds of socks go:

rSOhgri.png

Edited by Iron Horse

^ They are pretty good, stay up easily, but require a little bit of breaking in - the first couple of times they left little ridges on my skin at the end of the day  -_-

Corlection also has Studio D'Artisan socks in similar heather patterns, but I think Stevenson's socks are better quality having compared them side by side.

@iron_horse Those Samurai socks look nice, is there a convenient web retailer? Where do you get the Pherrow's socks?

I have heaps of Anonymousism and Chup because some web retailers tend to sell them for quite cheap (like ~$15) during sale times. I really want to try Tender and Kapital though!

Here're a couple more old photos:

J3PU4rT.jpg

Beam+, nothing fancy, but thick & good value:

OxsKCvZ.jpg

Chup, nice quality medium weight socks with very defined knit textures compared with Anonymousim. I like their patterns the best.

Up to US 9, buy medium size. Above US 9 you must go with large size.

td4ybWY.jpg8BDuD6x.jpg

Anonymousism, mostly pretty nice quality medium weight socks, interesting patterns, really easy to buy on the web and often go on sale. If your feet are any smaller than US9, Anonymousism socks will be too big for you.

LHSgqVm.jpg

iiiCFji.jpg

White Mountaineering, medium weight socks that are IMO better than Anonymousism or Chup, but way too expensive when not on sale.

R7CTKT3.jpg

Edited by mikecch

^ Thanks for the info!

Oh, haha, didn't realize they were American flag socks until I took a photo of them, I just really liked the red stripes!

I'm in Taiwan for a couple of days, but no time to go shopping  <_<  Maybe next time.

i'm a US 12 so most mij socks (chup etc) are way too small. i just buy uniqlo or muji now and 70% of the time i'm lucky and they fit. those that don't are cheap enough to throw out or whatever.

if i had smaller feet and was fine with paying stupid sock prices, i'd prob just buy nepenthes. super nice.

Edited by conqueror

Lovely Thread idea! I've only got one pair of fancy socks: UES toe socks. Very hard wearing, kinda like Rockford red heel (the sock monkey sock)which I also own a couple of pairs of. I can recommend Tabi. Bought loads when in Japan. Great selection, prices and quality.

I only have one pair of Chup and one pair of Anonymous Ism socks. Both are nice, but I think the Chup ones feel better.

I want to get more socks, but the thing is that I can't bring myself to pay much over £10 for a pair. Anonymous Ism are almost always on sale somewhere, but even then they are bit on the expensive side for me.

Maybe in time my feelings will change.

and Mikkech I know you made this thread so you could show off the pics of you hiking up your jeans to show off socks in true instagram picture style :P

I have four pair of Kapital socks (2 heavy winter, 2 thin dressier ones), one pair of Chups, and one pair of the Sock and Trotter brand that Iron Heart carries.  The Sock and Trotter ones are alpaca wool with padded soles so they're in a class of their own, but if you've got to work outside in the winter, or you commute by foot in the cold, those socks are amazing.  The heavier Kapital wovens are a cut above the Chups, which feel thin and light by comparison.  I wouldn't buy thin Kapital socks in the future - in fact I didn't buy these ones, I got them in a Fukubukuro box - as they are all style and no substance.  For standard thin dress socks, Costco's Kirkland brand does a good enough job!

I want to get some from The Superior Labor and Koromo to continue trying out Japanese brands though.  Both of them look excellent.

Also Mikkech, how are the Stevensons socks?

I think UK has a big sock scene at the moment, quite a few good quality brands and growing, but the pattern fashion all seems to be stripes and argyle, and that's not my taste.

Edited by Niro

I picked up a bunch of chup socks recently on sale from j crew. The patterns are awesome and the fabric feels great, but they are a bitch to get on. They seem to stretch enough when they aren't on but pulling them over my heel is a real chore.

Thought it was just me with my pair.

I want to get more socks, but the thing is that I can't bring myself to pay much over £10 for a pair. 

and Mikkech I know you made this thread so you could show off the pics of you hiking up your jeans to show off socks in true instagram picture style :P

Yeah, it's easier to find value in socks if, say like in Japan, people go around in just socks a bit more.

Here in Australia no one will ever see your socks unless you cuff high.

I did think about starting a pants-pulling thread...or a What'sOnMyFeet thread.

The heavier Kapital wovens are a cut above the Chups, which feel thin and light by comparison.  I wouldn't buy thin Kapital socks in the future - in fact I didn't buy these ones, I got them in a Fukubukuro box - as they are all style and no substance. 

I want to get some from The Superior Labor and Koromo to continue trying out Japanese brands though.  Both of them look excellent.

I really want to try Chup's boot socks (defender?) too, but they're hard to come by here. 

Saw some The Superior Labor x Denham socks once, they looked great. Again, local Denham people couldn't get them in...

Also Mikkech, how are the Stevensons socks?

I think UK has a big sock scene at the moment, quite a few good quality brands and growing, but the pattern fashion all seems to be stripes and argyle, and that's not my taste.

Stevenson's ones are true tube construct and very sturdy. Actually needs a bit of breaking in.

I quite like them.

Corlection did them for two pairs for $50 AUD at one point, which I felt was a good price.

Gotta hand it to Chup and Anonymousism though, no one does patterns quite like they do.

I picked up a bunch of chup socks recently on sale from j crew. The patterns are awesome and the fabric feels great, but they are a bitch to get on. They seem to stretch enough when they aren't on but pulling them over my heel is a real chore.

Yeah, I also do find the Chup more difficult to put on compared with others. They are a little tighter around the ankles and heel, which I like - definitely not for diabetics.

i've got about 10 pairs of anonymous ism and they work well for me.

~$20 a pair, and i prefer the cotton to the wool.

Same here, I only buy their cotton ones now.

For wool socks nobody does them quite like Australians and New Zealanders :)

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps there are more environment friendly, non corporate machine supporting socks out there (not digging at anyone!), but I'm definitely all about the Kirkland Outdoor Trail Merino Blend Socks from Costco.....Certainly not stylish, but definitely practical. They absorb moisture and keep my feet dry and benefit from multiple wears without washing lol

I have a few chup and anonymous ism pairs, the chups look cool but as some have said are a bitch to get over the heel.

The anonymous ism were okay, felt the quality was less than chup. They don't seem to stay up very well, and that's on 3 different pairs.

I'd have a really hard time buying either at full price. 

They may not be exotic or anything, but Darn Tough are about the only socks I'll pay $20 for these days. Plus they have a lifetime warranty, though I've never taken them up on it. 

On 1/6/2017 at 1:14 AM, Big_Hoss_Butt_Floss said:

Picked up the Superior Labor and Koromo socks I'd been eyeing. Koromo ones feel like the thickest and nicest of all the Japanese brands I own (Kapital, Sup Labor, Chups). Not as heavy as Sock and Trotter alpacas, but much better breathability for all season wear. 

IMG_0027.JPG

The Koromo one looks great! Very tempted to get a few...

IMG_20170114_221001.jpg

My Kapital collection. 

They do really crazy design. 

IMG_20170114_221329.jpg

Eclectic mix.

Left to right: Anonymousism for Journal Standard, Koromo, unknown brand (bought it when I visited Brown Tabby Works, threw away the wrapping), Tender logwood dye & RDT.

Current personal favorite is the RDT, strategic placement of thick stitching around the heels & front make it really comfy when combined with boots.

• 2 weeks later...