Roy Big Bro 2 - aka Roy World Tour Round 2

FeloniousMonk

So the last hurrah from Essex and Suffolk. I like the sea, I like trees and I like misty mornings, so here are some pretty pictures (I think) taken whilst the Roys were with me. Thanks Big Bros, It's been great. I realise that these have bollocks all to do with jeans, but this is a world tour and this is the part of the world that the Roy's have resided in for the past month or so...

31701497150_2f4674081b_z.jpg

31701479690_8e1caaffcf_z.jpg

32076892415_8d25d2eff9_z.jpg

32076898935_862d71a4b9_z.jpg

31266329353_efb0ffa48c_z.jpg

32076906445_7362feab8c_z.jpg

32076902645_ea43a1c157_z.jpg

Edited by holio cornolio

Thanks Volvo - Praise indeed. I follow your insta and always enjoy your pictures. Yeah these are all iPhone pics (although I do have and also use some real cameras too). I use an app called manual on the phone which gives a little more control on exposure and focus, but you're still stuck with a fixed f1.8 (I think) aperture. Also allows you to take images as RAW which is nice.

I like louisbosco's idea, I probably will stuff something in that pocket too. Anyway, this will be my first word tour and I'd like to know what are the usual rules with regards to wear, washes and the pics to follow.

I'm not sure what the usual rules are, but I just wore them all the time, except when there was serious risk of ripping or otherwise f***ing them up (fixing the floorboards and painting the hallway for instance). With regards washing, I didn't except For on a cold, quick wash with very little detergent before I packed them off. Not that they stank, but you know, just seemed like the thing to do....

Edited by holio cornolio

Of course, wouldn't want to open a package of nasty smelling jeans ;) I kid. So, I suppose, is everyone okay if they see a couple of wash while they are with me? Singapore is pretty humid right now (okay, no, it's always so humid here)

wear them, do whatever you want. before you send them off, give them a wash. sounds about right :) i wouldn't be surprised that it would be the rainy season now anyways. went back for a week. couldn't take the humidity.

btw, great photos holio, really love the ones with the fog. although, as much as iphone photography goes, i can't stand being on f1.8 all the time. seems a little too much no matter what the apps are. my usual daylight shooting are either f16 or 11 or slow shutter for night shots depending on how i wanna frame the shot.

The Big Bro has arrived at my workplace. I quickly swapped my RJB to the Roy and boy, the denim feels very different. Roy feels smoother and thinner than my RJB and the hue of indigo is surprisingly more purplish. Very fascinating fabric. I am in love with the pocket rivets and the BIG BRO patch. Also, the chainstitching on the pocket bags, love it.

I attached some basic fit pics, can't really take good ones as I am at work, but I am impressed that I can fit in, despite the worrying waist measurement. In fact, the lower block feels tighter than RJB.

Holio left his pick and a coin in the coin pocket and I am gonna chip in a climbing foothold for the tour. I work in a climbing gym and climbing is a huge part of my life.

Here's to a good 1 month in Singapore with the Big Bro!

2017-01-06_12_57.09_HDR.jpg

2017-01-06_12_57.12_HDR.jpg

2017-01-06_12_57.34_HDR.jpg

2017-01-06 13.06.20.jpg

2017-01-06 13.06.37 HDR.jpg

2017-01-06 13.15.02.jpg

Hey Cungster, so glad you got them safe and sound and great fit there. Here are my final detail pics (iPhone only - sorry). Given what I'd heard about the Black Seed denim being a stubborn fader, I was quite surprised that in some high wear places, some fades are starting to come through after only just over a month of wear. I really enjoyed the Roys, and am very happy to have kicked off the tour. Will follow progress with interest. I think, as a climber, you're going to get some great wear onto these.

32072693695_bf9696f7a1_z.jpg

32072649175_ae43a277f5_z.jpg

32033625376_78e2dd93c1_z.jpg

31924283142_c35bcff7dc_z.jpg31697347870_eb4d390346_z.jpg

^ yeah It's nuts isn't it? One thing I didn't quite get was that triple stitched part of the pocket bags. You don't notice it's there when you're wearing them, but it seems like a weird and bulky way to put together a pocket. I'm assuming that down the line it will contribute some interesting fade though..

I kind of assumed the two-part pocket construction was done for a reason, because Roy seems to have a reason for most things, but damned if I know what it is. If you take a look at the two pieces of the pocket though, the twill lines appear to be running at 90 degrees to one another (i.e. they are from rotated sections of the original fabric). The pocket material is unsanforized like the denim, and shrank along with the rest of the jeans during the initial soak, so maybe that two-piece construction avoids some distortion that might otherwise happen from fabric twisting during the soak if he used a more traditional single-piece pattern for the pocket?

Fit looks great, cungster, glad they'll be comfortable for your leg of the tour. Looking forward to seeing Singapore!

So, I basically wore the jeans for the whole weekend, from the barbershop to the climbing gym and everything in between. I have not yet gotten any shot of minced pork noodles, so sorry about that bosco :P

Of all the photos I took, only one of them is of food. The dish is called lontong, basically, rice cake eaten with vegetable curry. Pretty good breakfast food I'd say.

Also, managed to get a fit pic of the jeans! I love the faint sparks of bright blue that's just starting to peek out.

2017-01-07_11_18.43_HDR.jpg

2017-01-07 12.02.17 HDR.jpg

2017-01-07_12_04_49.jpg

2017-01-08 10.10.34.jpg

2017-01-08 10.41.31.jpg

2017-01-08 10.41.39.jpg

2017-01-08 10.42.14.jpg

Hey cungster. I forgot to ask, there should have been 3 small individual portions of marmite in a separate bag in with the jeans. Just a little culinary gift from the uk. Hope you got em. 

Bosco might be onto something, but we will never know. I am the very opposite of meticulousness so I might have missed them marmite. I should go and try it one day.

Anyway, past few days have been slow. Worn the jeans to "strip" a wall and "set" the walls again. Basically, stripping a climbing wall means removing all the holds that are attached to them (either screwed on or bolted on) and to set it means to put holds again. Thankfully, despite using power tools like impact drivers and power grinder, the jeans remain intact. 

Also, my wallet is likely to fade the backpocket hard.

Basically, from this...2017-01-09 19.05.35.jpg

stripped bare to this2017-01-10 08.51.31.jpg

then to this... 2017-01-10 15.55.55.jpg

2017-01-09 19.05.39.jpg

2017-01-10 17.51.40.jpg

2017-01-10_17_52_11.jpg

On 09/01/2017 at 2:00 PM, louisbosco said:

would customs take them? i mean food and stuff are quite the touchy subject when it comes to parcels and stuff..

It's marmite man. The stuff's black gold. If customs knew it was there, sure they'd take it. Who could resist? Joking aside it was 3 little portion packs I picked up from the breakfast buffet at a hotel. I forgot to mention they were in there so they'd really easily have been overlooked. marmitegate it is not. 

^Nah man, this wall is basically just a system wall for the more hardcore, competitive climbers to train on. The incline is decent and this also makes it hard for us to set easy V0s type of problems so we decided that this wall was to be spammed hahaha.