Interest check - Boncoura or Roy world tour

FeloniousMonk

EDIT: Measurements for both pairs are at the bottom of this post. Fit pics and denim comparison pictures are at the bottom of the page.

Running list of everyone who expressed interest thus far is near the top of page 2 - Currently at 7 people in for a Roy tour and 5 in for Boncoura. I'll leave this up for a few more days to see if anyone else might sign up, then choose whichever pair had the most volunteers. Happy Halloween weekend, everyone!

So a couple recent discussions in the Boncoura and Roy threads have bemoaned the lack of information on our forum about how the denims fade over time (and in the case of Roys, some skepticism about whether the fades turn out that nicely). I've actually been thinking about a potential world tour for a while, so I'm not just sitting here on a pile of unworn denim like a dragon avariciously guarding his indigo hoard, and this seems like a perfect opportunity to help the community learn a bit more about the denim while also getting to see the fades that I don't have time to make myself.

Hopefully we can spread the love around, perhaps let our European and Asian compatriots experience the amazing handiwork of Roy without having to pay outrageous import duties. Or finally see a pair of Boncoura 66 denim from raw through deep fading before they start to become more widely available stateside and through Europe.

Details on the potential pairs (Note: edited the fit description for Boncouras on Oct 18)

Roy Big Bro Round Two (BB1002), size 30

• First model made with his new Black Seed denim (a Cone collaboration) that is now his banner denim
  • High-mid rise fit with a trim waist, roomy top block, and mild taper through the leg
  • Interesting pocket and rivet details, see the link above for more

Boncoura 66, size 32

• Boncoura's signature denim, slightly irregular with super rich indigo color, reportedly a fairly fast fader
  • High-mid rise fit with larger waist but similar hip measurements to the Roys, wide thighs and mild taper. Nearly identical fit to the Roys aside from having a larger waistband.
  • Details are standard, but quite well-done from the patch to the rivets and sewing throughout (though 60s model => no hidden rivets)

Both pairs of jeans are pretty much new. I've worn the Roys for one or two days, and the Boncouras for one (maybe not even that). The one thing I have to apologize for is overconditioning the Boncoura patch, as only a one-wash pair was available and I tried to restore the dried-out post-wash patch to the glorious state of the raw pairs I've seen.

I will add a couple more posts to this thread with some comparison pictures of the denim and details, plus measurements.

If people have interest in a tour with one of these pairs, I would prefer to keep it to forum regulars (or semi-regulars) for hopefully understandable reasons. So how about it, is there any interest in showing these pairs some love around the world?

EDIT

Sorry about the delay. GF and I both have colds, so a quick stop for errands last night turned into watching a bit of Westworld and taking Nyquil turned into goodbye world.

I had the chance to take both pairs out for measuring and trying each on quickly, and realized I was mistaken when I described the fits in my original post. The Boncouras are not actually a lower rise, but instead just feel like a lower rise to me because they are close-fitting through the hips but have room around my waist.

The upshot of these jeans is that both pairs have almost identical fit. The major difference is that the top block of the Roys tapers slightly above the hips to a trimmer waistband, and that it has a longer inseam. From the butt down, these jeans have virtually the same fit. The larger knee measurement means the Boncouras do appear to have a slightly fuller leg, but it's minimal. Will try to take a couple fit shots tonight to illustrate the point.

Here are the measurements for both pairs, taken BiG style.

Roy BB1002, size 30

Waist: 31-31.5"

Thigh: 12"

Knee: 8.25"

Hem: 7.75"

Inseam: 33.75" (original)

Front rise: 11"

Back rise: 15-15.25"

Boncoura 66, size 32

Waist: 32.5"

Thigh: 12"

Knee: 8.75"

Hem: 7.75"

Inseam: 30" (original)

Front rise: 11.25"

Back rise: 15.25"

Edited by FeloniousMonk

given the sizes it seems to become a tour for the smaller/slimmer/leaner guys on SuFu - a Boncoura W32 should translate to a W30 in most other brands...

Really? I thought Boncoura shrink to tag size? At least according to Aries' measurements:

Size 34 post-soak measurements (1 day wear):

Waist - 34
Thigh - 12
Front rise - 12
Back rise - 15
Hem - 8ish
Inseam - 30

Although they have probably stretched back already 
Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

I am pretty new here at SuFu, mostly lurks, commented a few times on the RJB thread. I think I follow a number of people here on IG, but yeah, if there's an opening, I'd like to contribute on the Roy tour. I am based in Singapore and I do rock climbing often, would love to join in.

Really? I thought Boncoura shrink to tag size? At least according to Aries' measurements:

Although they have probably stretched back already 

that might be - I tried to point out that a lot of other brands don't measure to size and that wearing a W32 in Samurai or TFH does not necessairly equate to wearing a W32 in Boncoura.

in any case - it would be awfully nice of FM to post actual measurements.

Edited by Foxy2

Updated with measurements. Both pairs fit me quite well, so there's not a really big discrepancy in their size (I wear a 31 in most models), though the Boncouras will be more forgiving to anyone with less taper at their waist.

Hopefully in the morning I can get a couple shots in natural light.

The upshot of these jeans is that both pairs have almost identical fit. The major difference is that the top block of the Roys tapers slightly above the hips to a trimmer waistband.

Ed, this is what I meant by "tapered waist."

The Roy doesn't have more room in the hips, just a tighter waist. So it does end up being a little more "carrot-like".

No natural light, but had the chance to take a few fit pics this evening to help everyone see the (minimal) difference in fits. The only real differences that I can feel are:

1. Boncoura have a little room in the waist that the Roy jeans do not (as seen by the thumb in my waistband on the Boncoura side pic)
  2. Roy legs appear to be just a shade slimmer, but it's very close
  3. Boncoura have a shorter inseam, enough that I could not wear them with a cuff

Roy Big Bro 2 - Front

FonhjKu.jpg

Roy Big Bro 2 - Side

LC4uqzA.jpg

Boncoura 66 - Front

Fap1nqF.jpg

Boncoura 66 - Side

hDVStns.jpg

The fit pics show a bit of how the denims differ, but here are a couple more photos to help illustrate it.

The Boncoura denim is woven more densely than the Roy Black Seed, with much less weft showing through. It also appears to have just slightly more irregularity, based on the weft-side appearance, but neither have obvious slub threads. Both have a smooth hand and are moderately hairy, with nearly no noticeable neps.

While Boncoura is a very deep indigo, with seemingly a red/purple-cast, the Roy Black Seed denim appears to have a very neutral grey/black cast (based on comparisons with some of my other pairs, including green-cast and neutral indigos).

Roy Black Seed feels crisper and lighter, the Boncoura denim seems to have a bit more heft to it (though they are only 1 oz difference, I believe) and settles rather than forming sharp creases.

Side-by-side photo of the back to show a direct comparison, and the overconditioned Boncoura patch

4hMphHr.jpg

Roy on top, Boncoura on bottom

LRaQlXs.jpg