What's Next

Iron Horse

DB already has a thread like this but I figured we could have one here; what do you guys think is next in the scene?

It could be something out of far left field, or something that is small but starting to gain traction.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Overalls and coveralls

c0337627_19082512.jpg

13150913_1669506599982014_1212894996_n.j

12960003_216435615396978_1488406186_n.jp

White denim takes off (again):

150614wh-1-2.jpg

Turtlenecks?

DSC03216-thumb-600x400-63067.jpg

i think whats next is stupid branding by tanuki will hit off and will gain a lot of sales in the thailand, indonesia, usa market. where kids would be like ohh wow ala daft punk or sort.. yeah tanuki will hit off and slim fit tapered jeans will be the new in thing again.

Not sure I can ever really get with overalls / coveralls, grew up in the South and just associate them with farmers and good 'ole boys.

Now that they're popular again I associate overalls with hipster girls here in Austin. Just not a look I can get with.

I'm digging straight legged cuts a lot lately, it's hard to go back to anything slimmer after wearing some looser jeans.

I wager that unless you're the 1800s farmhand cosplayer type overalls will just go away again, as fads do.

I like white / undyed denim, but I'd probably never wear it if I got some, I don't even wear my black jeans because I like blue too much :D

I do wonder if we've reached peak raw denim status (maybe even as much as 4-5 years ago)? Certainly there are still the hardcore sufu types, and the few that get into it casually since there's so much quality available out there, but you don't even really see big retailers hyping "Japanese selvedge!" anymore.

As far as trends, unfortunately the skinny jean skin tight trend/aka "Nice curves bro" fit is still in vogue here in the states. Give it another year or two (or three or four?!) and people will start wearing loose extra baggy 90's style a la Japan currently and the past few years. They're just too ahead of us in my opinion. For raw denim, there isn't much more to exploit era wise, but who knows, maybe we'll get into the 1880's-1930's repros, or maybe even 1970's-80s repros?! For me it will always be 1940's-60's, and I'll just keep wearing amekaji until forever. I figure I'll be like Hayashi-san wearing the same thing after 40 years (except for him it's exposed ankles, oxford shirts, oxford type shoes, and cardigans in various colors); Denim shirt, jeans, layered denim jacket, WWII jacket. 

Industry wide, we'll continue to shift to "performance fabric meets denim lifestyle", I think. The Levi's commuter series was just the beginning; athleisure's influence will expand into all sorts of denim fabrics as we've seen in the past few years. I do respect Levi's on this front for experimenting and pushing boundaries, though none of it is for me personally!

Yeah, not too interested in athleisure beyond inner wear (I use Uniqlo's Heattech stuff in winter) or actually working out.

Some people have been guessing that '60s-'70s could be next, like you said, though I think that's pretty dangerous territory to tread. After all, it was the fad-like junk fashion of those decades that sunk the West into a kind of casual clothing Hell for decades. Does anybody really want to wear pleated polyester slacks again?

There's also the idea that the general era will stay the same, but that new looks will be mined from them. Not sure if that means we'll start dressing like Humphrey Bogart instead of Brando/Dean/McQueen though. 

Industry wide, we'll continue to shift to "performance fabric meets denim lifestyle", I think.

I too agree with this, but I personally cannot stand it. I don't want to feel like I'm wearing sweat pants when I pull on a pair of jeans!

A lot of guys complain about this at the shop, they don't like jeans with some percentage of stretch in them.

I guess I'll stick with the same kind of thing as you though: denim jackets, jeans, boots, flannels, etc.

Honestly I'm okay with sticking to that, not too concerned with finding what's next really! Just finding more quality stuff.

I kind of like the vibe that Mike Hodis' new brand Runabout Goods is going for, American outdoor goods.

Skinny jeans aren't going anywhere, people have been predicting their demise since they first gained steam in 2005-2006 ish. However, I think the super-tight sprayed-on look, if it hasn't disappeared yet, will become less popular.

No overalls for me, man. Not very interested in the dust bowl railroad and construction look... at the same time I don't like the athleisure look, it seems to revolve around very processed/synthetic stuff and I like clothing that has more life in it (though I realize this is pretty subjective.)

^love a chick rocking the denim overalls. At j crew there is still a strong sell for skinny fit pants however I have noticed there are people who used to buy skinny are now wanting slim rather than skinny.