Special Boot Project 2016

mikecch

Hello!

For the sake of clarity, organisation, transparency and making sure people don't miss out, I've created the official thread for this project.

Hopefully this will fair better compared with our previous forum boot project back in 2012.

Anyway, after learning a few lessons from that failure, here is this year's footwear group project!

For this project, the basic idea is a high-end American boot made with a cool leather that isn't usually found on footwear.

What I'm aiming for is a special edition boot that is actually unique, rather than just a simple change in colourway with standard footwear leathers.

This project is currently (14th Oct 2016) in the sampling phase.

If & when sampling is successful, I will then provide you with some initial photos and much more details (e.g. who is making the boots, what is the mystery leather).

I don't have a very exact schedule at this time, but I'm hoping to have all our names down and the orders put in before Xmas.

Please help us determine the final specs of the project boot by doing the survey, which will ask you about some preferences:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/G3TJK3X

This project will run on the group MTO model in order to secure a further discount for all of us.

Therefore, unlike the previous project, no individual customization can be accommodated this time, so please let you wishes be known through the survey  :)

Please let me know if you're interested.

Send me an e-mail at indigoshrimp {at} outlook.com

Your e-mail may be used to send you a PayPal invoice by the manufacturer down the track.

Once I receive your e-mail, I'll add your name to the expression of interest list.

The earlier you are on the list, the more priority you get in case we run out of leather and have to limit numbers.

Expression of interest list:

1. mikecch

2. Cucoo

3. Foxy2

4. Aries

5. @wegner.d

6. sinjo

7. gratefulmelon

8. UkeNo

9. minimint0918

10. simontuntelder

11. Hendsch

12. rayw44

13. @enlightened0ne

14. Cold Summer

15. thelion1856

16. m3guy

17. @ppack74

18. @unokwn6633

19. Articulate

20. ShootThePier

21. TheEscapist

22. rkusmant

23. TDj

24. D’uarte Pharquart

25. PeterParker

26. Bobbo

Edited by mikecch

Hey guys, thanks for the survey completions so far. 72 responses and counting, which is fantastic - keep 'em coming!

Just a reminder that this preliminary survey will close this Sunday, afterwhich I will share with you the results.

A reminder that you need to e-mail me to be placed on the list - the final stages of the project will be conducted via e-mail.

Survey is closed, thanks for the responses! We collected 89 responses, and it is really interesting that the preferences were pretty consistent, with clear majority preferences in most categories.

More info soonish.

Edited by mikecch

• 2 weeks later...

^ Sure thing. The reason for the sample fail was because the leather was too stiff and possibly too thick for stitch-down machines.

The reason for the manufacture change is mostly due to White's wanting to promote their stock leathers rather than doing one-offs.

With Wesco I'm hoping to work out some special detailing too, will keep you posted!

^ The colour of the leather and thread mainly. And the height is modified to 6 inch due to the width of horsebutt.

The sample should show the basic details, then we can look into anything that needs changing before the final specs are confirmed.

^Seems the "Fightmaster" looks a lot similar to "Foot Patrol", except for the variation in the number of stitch rows @waist ... sorta like their version of Viberg's Boondocker vs a Service boots. Are [they] on the same last, though?

On a Natty CXL [Horsebutt], it'd be nice to see some tonal stitching all around, for a change__ the leather will get darker as it evos & blend in more with brown or taupe stitching :: instead of the usual natural trim, maybe, grey stained midsoles on black Vibram 700s + gunmetal all-eyelets, to contrast :: 1/4 lower block [Quabaug] heels :: partially structured toes ;) ;)

Edited by BrownMetallic

^ Thanks for your input BM!

The difference between the flightmaster and foot patrol, apart from stitching, is mainly the back-stay / counters.

Not sure if grey stain is an option or how that might age; will check.