The Pocket Thread

mikecch

I like putting my hands in my front pockets sometimes.

With some jeans this is hard to do.

Also with those same jeans, when I try and take my hands out, some of the pocket cloth spills out - this is awkward to fix, but I feel compelled to do it, even in polite company.

Also, sometimes there is no place to put my smart phone, except in one of the front pockets.

On some Japanese jeans, the pocket is too short and the phone juts out.

This is stupid. Please fix.

I like funky shirt fabric pockets. Like on Pherrow's 421.

Tanuki's gingham pockets are also cool, but Ed hates hates hates them.

Thank you!

I like denim pocket bags for that all denim all the time feel.

I have only one pair where front pockets give me problems: Samurai x Denimio 710xx - those are pretty tight in the top block, I probably should've sized up one and I think that would also fix the pocket problem. My problem isn't with pocket bag size but that it's hard and awkward to get my hands in or to retrieve items I put in there.

Personally I hate putting my giant Sony Xperia Z3 in the front pocket, and I also hate phone fades, so I carry my phone in my left back pocket and just take it out when sitting. Wallet goes in right back pocket, and front pockets are lighter / keys.

But here's something I hate: coin pockets with an opening so high that it sits under your belt and thus is completely useless.

The best pocket bag fabric I have encountered so far: UES!

It doesn’t have any fancy design, color, print or rare fabric…it’s feels plain indestructible. And they are sized good. And Accessible ;)

Other examples of good fabric and size are my Denime 25th Anniversary and SDA D1709. Both are almost too long

I concur, UES has the best pocket openings, depth and (selvage) fabric. A close second regarding fabric is Resolute, also using selvage fabric. My Eternal 811 has very good / accessible openings as well, the worst so far wear Iron Heart (too tight and rather short).

I'm all for usable pockets - they need a decent opening, sturdy fabric and enough depth to put stuff inside. This includes the coin pocket that comes often undersized.

Edited by Max Power

the fabric of UES is indeed fantastic, but for my taste the way the pocket is designed (the opening) is even too wide to the point of not looking good.

My favourite at the moment is Red Cloud, not too big not too small, nice selvedge fabric.

UES almost made the cut for me awhile back because of that feature alone. Pockets are a big deal for me. One of the nicest pocket material I've encountered is on my sugar cane sc40601(?). Many of you have these as well. The double plaid, selvedge, heavyweight material is great but actual length on my pair sucks. It's that awkward length where you can fit your phone in there, but if you bend at all it will cut into your thigh.

I thoroughly enjoy the wacky texture of the sashiko fabric in my SC Okinawas. In addition to that, they're easy to stick my hands in and what have you with no fuss.

SC47 and Denime 66 get the votes for most useful pockets in my collection - just about the right size. Nothing worse than sticking a chilly hand into your pockets and remembering that only half of it fits in!

Like a good proportion of Sufu posters I don't keep anything in them. Not a fan of a big phone fade, sorry if that makes me anal.

mikecch, I agree on the Pherrow's. I love the 421 pockets. I am really big on fancy pocket bags, it's probably one of my favorite details. Samurai pocket bags are fantastic (and the pockets themselves are pretty decent too). My Warehouse 1001's pockets are tiny as hell. They barely fit my phone (Nexus 5x) and it's not even a really big phone. I have about .5cm before it sticks out. However they have a huge opening which is nice and easy to put my hand in.

The opening on my fullcounts is very narrow so it's hard to put my hands in my pockets (kind of the same with my samurai's). PBJ's have huge pockets (and pretty cool pocket bags). I wish I had a chance to check out the Redcloud R400's when they still had wabash pocket bags. 

The most durable pocket fabric I've handled so far have been 3Sixteen - though I still managed to blow holes into the inside corners, have this problem with all my pockets. One area where my 3Sixteens haven't failed me is the stitching around the pocket opening - after a year of wear, still no popped threads. Can't say that for my Japanese pairs, though I'm sure whether it's poly/cotton or pure cotton has a lot to do with it.

I LOVE the pockets on my Oni 516 IDID. They're a soft herringbone fabric and they're deep. The pocket openings are set a bit lower and very easy to access. Most usable pockets on any pair I've owned.

icZzqsh.jpg

Sugarcane 1947: Nice, deep front pockets (though I don't pocket anything aside from spare change and the odd receipt. Keys hang from my belt loops or go in my bag, iPhone 5 goes in the coin pocket).

kya040u.jpg

41wC8Ka.jpg

Pherrow's 441: The front pocket bags are quite shallow, but the coin pocket is very wide and fits my iPhone perfectly (can't stand phone fades either). Back pockets are the perfect size for my wallet, letting it peak out a bit.

V3XkgII.jpg

That's one massive difference of pocket size on the Cane's and Pherrow's.

By the way, what function does the diagonal stitch across the pocket have? I see it goes below the coinpocket on your Pherrow's but usually it seems to be done higher up across the coinpocket like on the Cane's or Tanuki's.

That's one massive difference of pocket size on the Cane's and Pherrow's.

By the way, what function does the diagonal stitch across the pocket have? I see it goes below the coinpocket on your Pherrow's but usually it seems to be done higher up across the coinpocket like on the Cane's or Tanuki's.

Bobbo, the stitch you see corresponds to a large piece of denim stitched onto the pocket bag. The coin pocket is in turn stitched onto this denim.

The Pherrow's 441 coin bag is shallower, so the stitch ends up below it.

Here's the SC1947 (right) and Pherrows for comparison:

2Vp8jRK.jpg

Edited by Iron Horse

OK I'll play. I don't really think much about pockets. I try not to use front pockets, I find having stuff in them uncomfortable. I'm actually not all that keen on really deep pockets, due to my Donald Trump like short fingers ;-)

These are the bags on my Norman Porter NP01, which are sturdy, neat, usable and made out of a pretty epic fabric. Can't remember what it's called, but it's indigo dyed and stripy. What's not to love?

29708308254_83e6747851_z.jpg

Edited by holio cornolio